Author Topic: Upgrading Pajero to either LC200 or Disco4?  (Read 8291 times)

Offline BeeGee

• Swag User
Upgrading Pajero to either LC200 or Disco4?
« on: October 18, 2019, 01:24:38 PM »
H guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 NS Pajero DiD to either a Discovery 4 SDV6/TDV6 or a LC200 Landcruiser.
I absolutely love my Pajero and it smashes it in the rough stuff but a growing family of 6 needs something a bit bigger.

The main drivers for my upgrade from the Pajero are:
1. Intrusive cabin noise in the Paj from engine, tyres and road is doing my wife's head in (she daily drives the Paj and claims the drone is affecting her hearing);
2. Lack of 3rd row seat space in my Pajero as the kids are getting bigger (family of 6). The kids fight over who has to go in the dreaded 3rd row!;
3. Lack of aircon in the 2nd and 3rd rows of my Pajero. Recently at an outback station (Wooleen) in north WA @ 39 degrees the kids were very hot in both the 2nd and worse in the 3rd row;
4. Lack of Pajero's towing power to pull my Jayco Swan Outback when fully loaded.  Don't get me wrong, tows fine at 97-98km/hr but takes forever to get up to speed and overtaking is near impossible if someone is going slower in front.

The Disco4 ticks all of those boxes and more.  However, I'm concerned about it's reliability in remote areas, the small duel tank (only 82L) and the potentially poor sand ability of the D4 due to the low profile tyres in both 19" and 20" varieties. I normally bag out my 17"s on my Pajero to 15lb or even 10lb and it's pretty unstoppable in the sand.  However, the Disco4 has lots of space even in the 3rd row and love the thought of 600Nm for towing.

The Landcuiser LC200 is a beast and can do everything I'm sure. large fuel tank (138L), 650Nm towing, large 3rd row seats etc. But it's a bit of a tractor for my wife to daily drive around the city and to work. I'm also not a fan how the 3rd row seats just fold to the side and take up valuable space. Also a bit more diesel hungry than the D4.

My brain tells me LC200 which will do all the 4WDing we need and more. My heart tells me the D4 for the 3rd row seats. But not sure I can get over the 19" low profile tyres on the D4 and the lack of sand driving ability.

Any thoughts on those that have been down this path appreciated.  thanks

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Upgrading Pajero to either LC200 or Disco4?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
have you driven any of them.
That usually really quickly helps make up your mind what will suit you best.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »
I'd go the Disco myself.

From what I've seen they go better on the sand then the 200s.
The Disco being 400kg lighter probably has something to do with it... ;)  :angel:

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
Take them both for a drive, big negative for the disco is nigleing breakdowns not show stoppers, but issues none the less and woeful boot space
Pros, way more affordable than the lc200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
Something I would consider would be the GVM as well, not sure what it is in the D4 but with a full passenger load and some bits on the 200 a GVM upgrade will be needed for sure. I would say the 200 although I am biased and extremely happy with mine

GG

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »
There are some affordable wheels for the D4 available now to enable 18s and plenty of suitable tyres.

I own a D4 and wouldn’t have anything else.  I drive 200s at work and wallowing, over rated, thirsty all spring to mind.

A well serviced D4 will be a reliable unit.

My unit and several friends with them haven’t had a problem in all sorts of terrain and travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline BeeGee

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
have you driven any of them.
That usually really quickly helps make up your mind what will suit you best.

Thanks. I've driven an LC200 so far but soon to test drive the D4.  The LC200 was large, torquey, very quiet but a bit wallowy, but nice to drive.  I'm expecting the D4 to be a bit more lice a limo and less wallowy.

Offline BeeGee

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
I'd go the Disco myself.

From what I've seen they go better on the sand then the 200s.
The Disco being 400kg lighter probably has something to do with it... ;)  :angel:

That's good to hear.

Offline BeeGee

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
Something I would consider would be the GVM as well, not sure what it is in the D4 but with a full passenger load and some bits on the 200 a GVM upgrade will be needed for sure. I would say the 200 although I am biased and extremely happy with mine

GG

Thanks. Payload of LC200 is 665kg and D4 is 754 so the D4 has an extra 89kg payload.  Good to see GVM upgrade options out there for the LC200 after a quick google.

Offline BeeGee

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
There are some affordable wheels for the D4 available now to enable 18s and plenty of suitable tyres.

I own a D4 and wouldn’t have anything else.  I drive 200s at work and wallowing, over rated, thirsty all spring to mind.

A well serviced D4 will be a reliable unit.

My unit and several friends with them haven’t had a problem in all sorts of terrain and travel.

Good to hear.  I have heard some good stories about the D4 which alleviates some of my concerns, but not all.

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
Thanks. Payload of LC200 is 665kg and D4 is 754 so the D4 has an extra 89kg payload.  Good to see GVM upgrade options out there for the LC200 after a quick google.

GVM upgrades for D4s are also available.

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
Looking to upgrade from our 2010 Pajero and top of my list at the moment is the new yet to be released series 5 Nissan Patrol.

I took one for a test drive earlier this week and all I can say is “wow”!

The petrol V8 is a bit thirsty but real world figures (rowing) are around 21-22 per 100km. In my extensive online research it is very similar to the LC200 diesel. City and country driving (without towing) is lower (12-15L).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:31:55 PM by shrek4 »

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
Good to hear.  I have heard some good stories about the D4 which alleviates some of my concerns, but not all.

As I mentioned earlier, I have LRs at home, have had all the earlier units, a few Defenders etc.

Never had any moments with them.

The D4 had a small trim repair under warranty and that’s all.  It tows, goes “real” offroad regularly and hasn’t set a foot wrong in 8 years.

I use Toyota’s for work, drive daily and I look after my work vehicles.  They are more problematic than my LRs have ever been.

I’m sure you’ll find something you like.  As one post said, don’t discount a Y62 - better than a Cruiser in every way.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
We have a club member who had a Disco, went into limp mode during week 1 of a 2 mth trip... got repaired, went into limp again, cancelled trip as he lost the trust in it, and traded it in on a 200....

Was happy had a few niggles with it too - but now its too big for his purpose (kids not keen on camping) and hes totally lost on what to buy... in his words, everything has too much bullShit technology in it now..
Maybe a FJ40 LMAO

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
Going from A Paj to a Disco  could be fun . Have you considered profile of the Disco tyres to handle sand running  ? The Disco could also be interesting  to consider the waiting time for the Flat Bed Truck  to proceed your journey . l must confess l am in my 4th Paj as they just get better  .
l am at present at home  cleaning Red dust from Paj & Exodus 14  after 14Ks  . Nagambie  to Port Headland to Come By Chance  ( NSW )Nagambie  mostly on Dirt  . Your choice   Enjoy  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »

The petrol V8 is a bit thirsty but real world figures are around 21-22 per 100km. In my extensive online research it is very similar to then LC200. City and country driving is much lower.

That would be comparing to a petrol 200 series ! The Patrol is a good 4wd, but not sure I could go worse fuel figures than my 200 series ( diesel )
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
I updated my post (above). Those numbers were towing and yes, was comparing to a diesel LC200.
That said and done, not wanting to take this thread off topic. Just offering up an alternate option.

I’m sure every vehicle has its fans and haters. Each to their own. Certainly no judgement from me.

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
Going from A Paj to a Disco  could be fun . Have you considered profile of the Disco tyres to handle sand running  ? The Disco could also be interesting  to consider the waiting time for the Flat Bed Truck  to proceed your journey . l must confess l am in my 4th Paj as they just get better  .
l am at present at home  cleaning Red dust from Paj & Exodus 14  after 14Ks  . Nagambie  to Port Headland to Come By Chance  ( NSW )Nagambie  mostly on Dirt  . Your choice   Enjoy  :cup:

See that’s the good part a D4 doesn’t let the dust in, the cabin and doors are IP rated

Your veiled stab at wait times is laughable, of the 145,000km on my D4 - 100,000km would easily be offroad specific.

It’s been the only vehicle on many trips to have no problems at all - including tyres.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
I went from a Paj to a 200 series and I'm very happy :) Sure the 200 is not in the same league as the Paj for a town car; it's much bigger and more truck like to drive and maneuver and parking can be a hassle.

However I didn't buy it for a daily driver. As a tourer / tug it's in a class of it's own. Far quieter, smoother, more relaxed than the Paj. Overtaking, even with the van on the back, is not a problem.

Fuel consumption? Mine gets used mainly as a tourer and weekend offroad machine. It's heavy, it doesn't get babied  >:D 
My average over approx 70,000ks is 16.8Lt/100. Best is 13.8, worst is 22.5.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »

It’s been the only vehicle on many trips to have no problems at all - including tyres.

A bit like the Jeeps.....they do make a few that have no problems.
The hard part is making nearly ALL of them trouble free.   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Towing in soft sand you are going to need less than 19/20 inch wheels. There is no getting around that. I drag them out regularly on the islands around here. Get higher volume tyres under a D4 and it will tick many boxes.

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »
A bit like the Jeeps.....they do make a few that have no problems.
The hard part is making nearly ALL of them trouble free.   ;D ;D

Toyota hasn’t managed it, Nor Nissan or Mitsubishi.....
And the first 2 are getting worse....

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 06:18:19 AM »
I have a ten year old 200 series with a 2 inch lift and followed my mate in his new 200 series with KDSS on a recent trip. While we wallowed all over the place on corners, he stayed flat and level. KDSS would be on my list if I was buying a new one.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 06:57:10 AM »
I have a ten year old 200 series with a 2 inch lift and followed my mate in his new 200 series with KDSS on a recent trip. While we wallowed all over the place on corners, he stayed flat and level. KDSS would be on my list if I was buying a new one.
Keith

The bloke I mostly travel with has a Sahara with kdss. It gets depressing watching that thing float along tracks from the drivers seat of a ranger. He doesn’t even need to put a safety  thumb over his stubby!

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »
Take a D4 for a drive and you'll be hooked, i have driven LR's for 25 years and never had a breakdown. 2 Range Rovers and my 2nd Discovery, 375k on my first.
 D4 boot would be on par to a 200 and has the best 7 seat arrangement in any vehicle, 2 adult size seats that fold completely flush into the floor.
 I would also consider a newer Paj before any toyota product.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:09:37 PM by loanrangie »
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595