Author Topic: Roadside Asssitance Options  (Read 5635 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Roadside Asssitance Options
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:58:28 AM »
Hi All,

It's come to that time where my AANT Membership is up for renewal..  I have been taking out "Premium" for myself and "Plus" Memebership for the Misses, and this year the renewal will be $380 for the year

I thought i better compare before I pay this year and look at my options, as with these Automobile Association Memberships options with their breakdown towing options seem to have quietly shunk over the years.

As I live in Darwin just about any travel breakdown I am going to be about between 400km to about 1600km from home, and that is just what i consider local travel, let alone interstate travel. I see that that my towing cover is just 200km

Does anyone know of other options that has better towing etc? -- I would like some more ideas

An alternative option that I  that I have found is Allianz Global Assistance Roadside Assistance http://www.roadsideonline.com.au/    If I take out Patinum cover for myself that will be $169 + Standard cover for the Misses at $99 

$169 + $99 =  $268  from Allianz vs $380 from the AANT

Even looking at what these 2   
"AANT Premium" vs  "Allianz Global Assistance Roadside"

Benefits included  AANT Premium  Allianz Global Assistance Roadside
Reginal Breakdown Towing  200km  200km
Locked Keys Locksmith  $165  $200
Accommodation  $130 5 nights max $150 10 nights max
Vehical Relocation  Towing??  $1000

Am I missing anything  --  Am I comparing Apples to Apples

Can anyone say why I should stay with the AANT?  --  Although we do get discount fuel, but really except for big trips we don't do many kms

Anyone know of a better Breakdown Roadside Asssitance insurnace or option?

:cheers:

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Roadside Asssitance Options
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
Don't know whether you can get it, but RACV toal care is pretty good, it covers the DRIVER not the car, so whatever car you're driving, you're covered. But check the terms and conditions
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
Don't know whether you can get it, but RACV toal care is pretty good, it covers the DRIVER not the car, so whatever car you're driving, you're covered. But check the terms and conditions

Biggest problems with the RAC (insert state) is you must reside in the (insert state) to be eligible.

In saying that, we have RACQ ultimate and it has saved our ass twice. Once up cape york and the other after doing the Canning. The Cape was around $7500 in flights, accomodation, rental vehicles and transport for the Patrol from Wiepa to Brisbane and the Canning was $3500 tow from Wolfe Creek to Halls Creek.

So, in summation, look at ALL the benifits, if you can have multiple claims annually and if you can claim nationally not just cost.
As a side note, all my RACQ benifits are accepted here in WA and I also can get the RAC benifits here as well.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Interesting   -- I can't buy it but just had a look at https://www.racq.com.au/roadside-assistance/roadside-assistance-options/racq-ultimate --  I think cover might be shrinking quietly

Maybe I am just reading things wrong
Free towing after a breakdown = 200km 
and
Rental vehicle = 3 Days P.A.     that's per annum

I am sure that towing limits were higher,   --  myself I have just been paying these memberships year in year out, not studying the changes.

I don't think these insurances are what they used to be.   

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
Yep. The RAC* Total/Ultra Care packages definitely ain't what they used to be....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »
Quote from: cyberess
I think cover might be shrinking quietly

Maybe I am just reading things wrong
Free towing after a breakdown = 200km 
and
Rental vehicle = 3 Days P.A.     that's per annum

I am sure that towing limits were higher,   --  myself I have just been paying these memberships year in year out, not studying the changes.

I don't think these insurances are what they used to be.

No your right.. Used to be break down anywhere (Like Vince did in his Duramax Patrol - it died in the Blue mountains towed straight home to Melbourne)
But dude in our club 2yrs ago roughly - their Disco died at Eden NSW, and he thought they would tow it home no questions - but it got towed some repair place first, if they cant repair it in X days - then it gets towed home which happened as it needed full engine replacement.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »
Just had a look at RACV Total Care
https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roadside-assistance/total-care.html

I was Victorian 15 years ago, and that certainly ain't the same cover

Looks like Vic's are only covered for a 100km of towing now, under to top cover, I think is used to be just about unlimited before.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
Looks like Vic's are only covered for a 100km of towing now, under to top cover, I think is used to be just about unlimited before.

I read that RACV allow up to $2400 per incident year, which can be used for towing, amongst other things.

RACQ are a bit better. They allow up to $3300...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:10:20 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »
May not be what you are looking for, but Club 4X4 offer their own package...

https://www.club4x4.com.au/off-road-recovery/
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
Just had a look at RACV Total Care

I was Victorian 15 years ago, and that certainly ain't the same cover

Geeze, that's an eye opener.  :'(

Yes it used to unlimited for both the car and the trailer. Had a 4wd picked up at Craigs Hut, then to Sheepyard Flat, got the camper trailer, then to Mansfield, get a hire car and get the whole lot back to Somerville.

But I can't complain though, when the clutch went on the Jackaroo there was no problem getting the caravan and car into the caravan park and Holden dealer, but that was way under the 100klm towing limit

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »

I like the idea behind this.
I don't have roadside cover, because I only drive one car at a time and don't like the idea of having 2 policies to cover one car.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »
RACQ also have this

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 01:46:05 AM »
AANT covers the driver no matter what vehicle they are driving -- this is on the lower cover, (yes that is a good thing)

The problem I have is how these Automobile Associations have been shrinking the cover benefits --  They don't cover that much now.
For instance if you driving through Tennant Creek  to Darwin and you break down with onboard computer, the nearest repairer would be Darwin 988kms away, I guess your premium cover would only offer you 200kms tow cover, with you footing the rest $3000 or $5000 tow bill.

Probably about 5 years or something ago those premium covers would of had you covered.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »
AANT covers the driver no matter what vehicle they are driving -- this is on the lower cover, (yes that is a good thing)

The problem I have is how these Automobile Associations have been shrinking the cover benefits --  They don't cover that much now.
For instance if you driving through Tennant Creek  to Darwin and you break down with onboard computer, the nearest repairer would be Darwin 988kms away, I guess your premium cover would only offer you 200kms tow cover, with you footing the rest $3000 or $5000 tow bill.

Probably about 5 years or something ago those premium covers would of had you covered.

The 200km is a return trip for the towie, so it's 100km limit, but all is not lost....

Check out "Emergency Benefits > Vehicle and Passenger Recovery":

Vehicle and Passenger Recovery benefits apply if:
•You have broken down more than 100 km from home; and
•We have given you Road Service but due to a mechanical or electrical failure we could not get you mobile; and
•A qualified mechanic cannot repair the vehicle you are driving within 48 hours.

In this option we will pay for the vehicle to either be transported back to your home or to the intended destination of your journey. Vehicle recovery is not applicable once the vehicle has been repaired. Weight and dimension limitations apply.

If you are eligible for the Vehicle and Passenger Recovery benefit but do not wish to take it, you may take the Stay and Repair benefit instead.

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

The following users thanked this post: cyberess

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
Hi GeoffA

O.k. you may of found what i was looking for and the compare apple to apple --  still not confirmed

The AANT cover is starting  to look better at this moment.

For AANT
looking at https://www.aant.com.au/sites/default/files/uploads/files/1670191_road_service_booklet-web_nov_2019_hearing_imaired.pdf
Page 15

Vehicle and Passenger Recovery
Vehicle and Passenger Recovery benefits apply if:

* You are a Premium or Plus Member
* You have broken down more than 100 km from home;
and
*  We have given you Road Service but due to a mechanical or electrical failure we could not get you mobile; and
* A qualified mechanic cannot repair the vehicle you are driving within 48 hours.

In this option we will pay for the vehicle to either be transported back to your home or to the intended destination of your journey.

Vehicle recovery is not applicable once the vehicle has been repaired.
Weight and dimension limitations apply (see Vehicle Movement Conditions on page 30)
If you are eligible for the Vehicle and Passenger Recovery benefit but do not wish to take it, you may take the Stay and Repair benefit instead.

Now looking at "Allianz Global Assistance Roadside Assistance"
https://www.roadsideonline.com.au/terms-and-conditions

At this moment I can't see that in their Terms and Conditions -- still there could be something there -- I will probably have to give them a call.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »
RAC WA is pretty much the same at GeoffA has posted. There is an annual limit though, top cover Ultimate Plus has $7000 limit. You can also choose one driver and one vehicle, so I’m the nominated driver as I drive multiple vehicles so I’m covered all the time, I have nominated the missus’ car as that is all she drives.

Standard cover is not entitled to the extended benefits, and only one car.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 11:51:13 AM »
What are people using these days??

RACV Fine print says
https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/documents/on-the-road/era/RAC18269-ERA-T-Cs-Updates-FINAL.pdf

Benefits when over 100km from home address

Mechanical Breakdown Where Mechanical Breakdown occurs and your Vehicle, Caravan or Trailer is Disabled and has been towed to a Place of Repair, you may claim a combination of the following benefits up to $2,400 for you and your Travel Party (in total per incident) until the End of the Incident:

- Accommodation; and/or
- Rental vehicle; and/or
- Alternative transportation;
and/or
- Taxi fares (maximum of 3 trips, at $100 each)

Where the Vehicle, Caravan or Trailer is unable to be repaired within three business days at the Place of Repair to which it has been towed, RACV may attempt to find an alternative Place of Repair. If repairs still cannot be effected within three business days you have the option of having your Vehicle transported to a destination of your choice within Australia. RACV uses preferred contracted suppliers for the delivery of Services and delivery times may vary depending on availability.

Where the breakdown is solely limited to a Caravan or Trailer; alternative transport and taxi benefits are not available. Accommodation benefits are only available if the Caravan is being towed by an Eligible Vehicle.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:53:35 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »
I had a breakdown near Winton in central Qld about 4 years ago. RACV put us up in a motel for 3 nights while we waited for the first plane. They then flew us back to Melbourne, had our van and car transported a few days later and then paid to have the car towed to my mechanic. I tried to get quotes for the transport myself and was looking at around $10k. RACV were brilliant, even to the point of arranging meals on the plane much to our surprise.

The limit you refer to of $2400 is only for the items listed ie cabs, accommodation etc. I believe.

My car suffered a failure of the rear diff when the diff lock bolt let go at 60kph. Did wonders for the gearbox. I managed to drive it the 10ks back to town but the mechanic couldn't do much for at least a month. RACV's management of the whole process couldn't be faulted.
The following users thanked this post: Bird, GeoffA, Fizzie

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 05:48:11 PM »
I had a breakdown near Winton in central Qld about 4 years ago. RACV put us up in a motel for 3 nights while we waited for the first plane. They then flew us back to Melbourne, had our van and car transported a few days later and then paid to have the car towed to my mechanic. I tried to get quotes for the transport myself and was looking at around $10k. RACV were brilliant, even to the point of arranging meals on the plane much to our surprise.

The limit you refer to of $2400 is only for the items listed ie cabs, accommodation etc. I believe.

My car suffered a failure of the rear diff when the diff lock bolt let go at 60kph. Did wonders for the gearbox. I managed to drive it the 10ks back to town but the mechanic couldn't do much for at least a month. RACV's management of the whole process couldn't be faulted.
thats great to hear first hand info like this..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 10:01:34 AM »
We had a front hub bearing fail between Meekathara and Newman and the RACV was brilliant. They flat-topped the car to the repairer in Newman and towed the camper to the accommodation for us. The RACV organised the repairer, parked the camper at the motel and took the car to be repaired. Getting parts and getting the job done took a week and the RACV paid the accommodation and food as well as the taxi fare to the repairer to pick the car up. The accommodation was at the Oasis at Newman which was full of FIFO mine workers and not cheap. The food was wonderful...:-)

We have top tier road side assist with the RACV and after we added up the cost of towing, accommodation, etc. they saved us a shed load of money and a HEAP of messing around. The only issue we had was the very marginal phone coverage at the site of the breakdown meaning most of the communicatioin at the breakdown was via SMS. For about $20 / month it can't be beat.. ;D ;D
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com
The following users thanked this post: Bird, GeoffA

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 01:14:00 PM »
Seems everyone gets a better deal than us in NSW, see NRMA below:

https://www.mynrma.com.au/join-roadside?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsa_gZXV_AIVDx4rCh21dwQdEAAYASADEgK9bfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interestingly, the 'basic' option has country towing to nearest centre, but higher ones have a km limit, which means if I breakdown 200km form the nearest centre, under basic it would be free, but the higher 2 I would have to pay past 50km/100km!

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 07:41:00 PM »
Seems everyone gets a better deal than us in NSW, see NRMA below:

https://www.mynrma.com.au/join-roadside?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsa_gZXV_AIVDx4rCh21dwQdEAAYASADEgK9bfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interestingly, the 'basic' option has country towing to nearest centre, but higher ones have a km limit, which means if I breakdown 200km form the nearest centre, under basic it would be free, but the higher 2 I would have to pay past 50km/100km!

Just because you are in NSW doesn’t exclude you from taking out road side assistance with for example RACV or RACQ

Offline Chesapeake

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 08:36:44 PM »
Well, I'm only going to comment on my own observations as someone that is involved in roadside service  in Victoria, predominantly with RACV members. After a busy Christmas holiday period, the company I work for has been recovering vehicles to all parts of Vic in the last 2 weeks, a truck has been carting cars and caravans/trailers/boats from here every day to get someone's gear home. As someone stated above, if it's not able to be repaired in a certain amount of business days , with the right cover you have the option to get your rig towed home. We have towed vehicles to other states through NRMA etc.. also.If you have the right cover, something that could easily cost between $2000-$3000 or more to get you home is covered. I've mentioned this in another thread before. I reckon if you do a reasonable amount of travelling and don't have good breakdown insurance, you are leaving youself wide open. I'm not posting this to drum up business, let's call it a community service.
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2023, 07:11:50 AM »
DaveR said virtually word for word a while back, except his jobs are often remote locations, & have sometimes run into $10k-$20k!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Chesapeake

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 09:02:40 AM »
Too true Fizzy, use it once and you become an instant fan.