Author Topic: If you are going to Fraser shortly.....  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
If you are going to Fraser shortly.....
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
Fraser Island cleans up after wild weather
By Elyse Edwards, Friday February 1, 2013 - 14:49 EDT
Ex-tropical cyclone Oswald has caused severe damage to parts of Fraser Island, in south-east Queensland, including inland driving tracks.

The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service says camping grounds have now reopened, but many inland roads will remain closed until repairs are completed.

Fraser Coast area manager Ross Belcher says safety is a priority.

"Most of the inland tracks have a significant number of trees falling across them and they have to be chainsawed and dragged off the tracks," he said.

"The central station boardwalk had a large tree falls onto it and that has to be repaired.

"We don't want those things happening while we've got people in these areas."

He says rangers are working to reopen camping grounds and roads access as quickly as possible.

"The rangers are working exceptionally hard and long hours," he said.

"We want to get the tourism industry back up and supported on the island and on Cooloola but we also have to consider safety, considering there's erosion problems, there's waterlogging, there's tree falls."

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: If you are going to Fraser shortly.....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Jeepers.

We'll be on the island in just on a months' time. Hopefully it will all be sorted by then. Our route won't require the inland tracks initially, we figured it would be less-stressful to head around to Inskip and then just run up the eastern beach. Once we're on the island we can assess the conditions and tackle the inland tracks if they're open/in decent condition.

We figure one of the best things we can do at this time is to get down into these areas and spend some tourist dollars.

Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.