Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1726166 times)

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #4325 on: July 14, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
Looks great...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4326 on: July 14, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
And through the process a generous application of naughty words....

:cup: :cup:

I call it verbal lubrication Ray.
I find a liberal application helps immensely.... ;D ;D

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4327 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
Found a base for my table top
Elaine reckons it would go well in the crazy house in Vietnam we visited years ago
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4328 on: July 22, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Slowly getting the trailer ready for rego and to carry the Zero Turn.
Another bow in my quiver.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4329 on: July 23, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
Spent 6 hours doing a 1/2 hour job  >:(

Camping at Warwick next weekend and I expect to be using the heater, and I remembered that the sight glass on the glycol tank looked a bit murky.

Thought I would just drain, flush and replace.......................but no, Murphy had other ideas.

The draining and flushing was no real issue, but after that it all went a bit wonky  :'( Refilled the system, fired it up, got the glycol up to temp, but no heat coming from the heater. Bugger says me. Worked out that the hot glycol wasn't circulating through the plumbing to the heater core inside the camper. So I figured the circulation pump might be gunged up (or stuffed), so I removed it from the wabesto (which involved draining the system of the now near boiling glycol), which was a task that required an extra 4 fingers and 3 elbows to be able to contort myself into the tiny cavity. Stripped the pump down and it was clean as a whistle, reassembled the pump and bench tested....all good  ??? played a game of macrame of the arms and refitted the the pump, fired it back up, still no glycol circulating  ???  :'(

Figured I mustn't have fitted the pump back in properly, so re-drained, re-removed, re-fitted, and re-filled everything...............still no good. At about this point, all the neighbourhood would have learnt some new naughty words. So now I start tapping, whacking, hitting, shaking everything associated to the heating system hoping that it just needed some percussive maintenance to start working..................................and discover that at some point of the exercise, probably very early on in the project, I must have bumped the circ pump fuse out of the holder  :-[ Re-inserted the fuse, and everything fired up and ran, but still still no heat circulating in the lines (where is that facepalm emoji). Sat sobbing on a milk crate for a while pondering the situation and came to the conclusion that there might be an air lock somewhere in the heating line, so I again drained the near boiling glycol so I could bodgy up a way to vacuum the near boiling glycol through the return line to remove any air in the line, only to knock over the container and spill 6l of realy hot glycol all over the shed floor...................clean up the shed floor, wash myself, and all of my tools, jump the back fence, tell my tale of woe to the neighbour (who laughed....a lot...a really lot) borrow a bottle of glycol, pump it through the lines, reconnect everything, refill the tank, fire it up.................and finally we have heat  >:(  :'(  >:( some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Anyway, I'm all good for Warwick now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:24:23 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4330 on: July 23, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
You make me look good.  :cheers:
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: pjmowens

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4331 on: July 23, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
You make me look good.  :cheers:
That may be open to debate.  :D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4332 on: July 23, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
Not me, a fellow swagger straightened and fixed the door/window frame and fitted a new door to my garage today. He's pretty handy for a drug courier ;D

Turns out swagger's hunt in packs as another swagger dropped in for a sticky beak. I think he wanted to swap his Amarok for the Prado :police:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4333 on: July 24, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
Seven and half years ago, i bought a 1988 XF Falcon panel van for $500.00.
It was tidy, runs duel fuel and was rego'd for 6 months at that price.
With 4 new tyres, a gas cert and RWC and few bits, I had it in my name for $1,050.00......bargain.

For the next seven and half years, it got flogged as the lawn mowing rig and just never let me down. It had scored an engine rebuild, long before my ownership back in 2004, but even that now has some serious K's on it.... how many.... not sure.
The odometer threw in the towel at 695,000 around 5 years ago. Add to that, around 20 to 25 a year, and we should be over 800,000 klm.

The theory was, when the mowing gig finished, drive it to the dump and pull the plates.

So, in July 2018, the old turd still drives really nice, but rusty the home wrecker, has been having a nibble or two on the panels.

All in the back half too, but remember, these things left the factory with rust as a standard feature.

For the last few days, I've been attacking the ol girl with the angle grinder to remove the tin-worm and inserting nice new shiny bits of metal.
I'm in the body filler stage now, to try and even out the panels a tad.
Bodywork isn't my forte, that's for sure

The back of it's been gutted of the astro turf floor  ;D, and its then copped a flat timber floor and been covered with new marine carpet.
The front seat is coming out for a re-trim in 2 weeks and it will get new carpet in the front this time, as the astro turf in there is pretty tired too.

The poor old thing is getting some serious loving and will return to the fleet and the "Country Lane Classic Cars" parts chaser and all around workshop truck.

Its been fitted out with 7 and 8 inch Cragar SS chrome rims and after the white paint touch ups, will get a discreet baby blue strip down the side, some white wall flappers, a lowering job, external metal sunvisor and try to give it a slight hot-rodish look.   ??? Don't laugh, it might....  8)

I never worked this hard when I was mowing.
I wish I could find a good R/H barn door for the back of it though.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:57:49 AM by Jeepers Creepers »

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4334 on: July 24, 2018, 06:11:01 AM »
Seven and half years ago, i bought a 1988 XF Falcon panel van for $500.00.
It was tidy, runs duel fuel and was rego'd for 6 months at that price.
With 4 new tyres, a gas cert and RWC and few bits, I had it in my name for $1,050.00......bargain.

For the next seven and half years, it got flogged as the lawn mowing rig and just never let me down. It had scored an engine rebuild, long before my ownership back in 2004, but even that now has some serious K's on it.... how many.... not sure.
The odometer threw in the towel at 695,000 around 5 years ago. Add to that, around 20 to 25 a year, and we should be over 800,000 klm.

The theory was, when the mowing gig finished, drive it to the dump and pull the plates.

So, in July 2018, the old turd still drives really nice, but rusty the home wrecker, has been having a nibble or two on the panels.

All in the back half too, but remember, these things left the factory with rust as a standard feature.

For the last few days, I've been attacking the ol girl with the angle grinder to remove the tin-worm and inserting nice new shiny bits of metal.
I'm in the body filler stage now, to try and even out the panels a tad.
Bodywork isn't my forte, that's for sure

The back of it's been gutted of the astro turf floor  ;D, and its then copped a flat timber floor and been covered with new marine carpet.
The front seat is coming out for a re-trim in 2 weeks and it will get new carpet in the front this time, as the astro turf in there is pretty tired too.

The poor old thing is getting some serious loving and will return to the fleet and the "Country Lane Classic Cars" parts chaser and all around workshop truck.

Its been fitted out with 7 and 8 inch Cragar SS chrome rims and after the white paint touch ups, will get a discreet baby blue strip down the side, some white wall flappers, a lowering job, external metal sunvisor and try to give it a slight hot-rodish look.   ??? Don't laugh, it might....  8)

I never worked this hard when I was mowing.
I wish I could find a good R/H barn door for the back of it though.

:worthles: :worthles:

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #4335 on: July 24, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »
Not really a big project as such, but I have been after a solid wood mariners wheel clock for ages and by chance stumbled across this example for sale for $10....so I tried not to look too keen when buying it off the seller....but I let out a loud yesssss when getting back into the car.
The clock mechanism that came with it was really cheap looking and was busted so I quickly punched it out and started sanding the wheel down.

The wheel had a dark reddish stain on it which I didn’t like and doesn’t fit with the lighter wood furniture in our lounge so I used stripper to remove the top coat and then sanded it down to reveal what looked like a reddish looking timber which I assumed might have been jarrah, but I’ve since been advised it might actually be cedar ? Regardless, I wanted a lighter tone and came a cross a tin of yellow oak stain which I liked. Painted on a coat, waited a couple of days for it to dry, lightly rubbed the coat down with steel wool and re-coated.

Happy enough with the colour, although in the pic it looks darker than it actually is.

Now that the easy bit is done....the hard bit now is to hunt down a suitable 24cm clock face (extreme outer casing measurement) that will suit the wheel itself. Have already had a brief look on fleaybay but nothing so far has shown itself to be the one.
Thinking a slightly nautical theme but not too cheesy, with numbers, not Roman numerals.

Tried lying to myself by saying I am not in any hurry and to be patient....the right clock face will come along in time.....but I want it finished and on the lounge room wall now !!

Cheers
Rob

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:01:11 PM by archer63 »
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4336 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
Nice Rob.
Thst awesome.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4337 on: July 24, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Looks like its nicely made.
I used some water based estapol on a job recently. It dries without darkening the timber, and is non yellowing, if that makes sense. That wheel would come up a treat if you wanted that look.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #4338 on: July 24, 2018, 07:51:11 PM »
Thanks...there's something therapeutic about working with wood..not that I have done much since high school !

Yeah it does look and feel solid Glen, and I take on board what you said about the estapol, but thought the natural colour (darkish) of the timber would dominate ? I can always strip it back again and redo i suppose if I find a better tone.

Have enjoyed following your woodworking creations, but every time I see a pic of your old record player cabinet and it’s refurb brought back to life I give myself a little kick. I found a nice old early sixties example a few years ago, something very similar to yours, but I didn’t have the imagination to do what you did with yours....bugger !
That’s why this time I am keen to make more of an effort.
Cheers
Rob

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4339 on: July 24, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »
I agree with you about working with wood being theraputic. Im a fitter by trade and metal is boring. If you stuff it up you can weld some back on.
Each piece of wood is unique, full of textures and colours that come alive once finished.
Im self taught, but I reckon any decent tradie can transfer their hand skills to another field of work.
The internet is full of wonderful ideas and helpful tutorials.We are only limited by our imaginations.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4340 on: July 24, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »
This is my new project once I get a couple of others done.

This is a C1880 Bow Rocker horse by G & J Lines who were English makers.

Will certainly be a challenge but it will be worth it if I can bring it back to life due to his age & he has been in his owners family a long time.

Ray

Making progress with this.

Turned it into a jigsaw puzzle
The head had been repaired with a lot of hardware.
replaced broken & rotten pieces
Started reassembly.
Seems easy when you say it like this. ;D

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4341 on: July 24, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Not really a big project as such, but I have been after a solid wood mariners wheel clock for ages and by chance stumbled across this example for sale for $10....so I tried not to look too keen when buying it off the seller....but I let out a loud yesssss when getting back into the car.
The clock mechanism that came with it was really cheap looking and was busted so I quickly punched it out and started sanding the wheel down.

The wheel had a dark reddish stain on it which I didn’t like and doesn’t fit with the lighter wood furniture in our lounge so I used stripper to remove the top coat and then sanded it down to reveal what looked like a reddish looking timber which I assumed might have been jarrah, but I’ve since been advised it might actually be cedar ? Regardless, I wanted a lighter tone and came a cross a tin of yellow oak stain which I liked. Painted on a coat, waited a couple of days for it to dry, lightly rubbed the coat down with steel wool and re-coated.

Happy enough with the colour, although in the pic it looks darker than it actually is.

Now that the easy bit is done....the hard bit now is to hunt down a suitable 45cm clock face (extreme outer casing measurement) that will suit the wheel itself. Have already had a brief look on fleaybay but nothing so far has shown itself to be the one.
Thinking a slightly nautical theme but not too cheesy, with numbers, not Roman numerals.

Tried lying to myself by saying I am not in any hurry and to be patient....the right clock face will come along in time.....but I want it finished and on the lounge room wall now !!

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob, if you are looking for your clock face try woodworking supplies businesses they general sella range of clock movements in various sizes. Try Carbatec online for a starter.
Cheers
Pottsy
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4342 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:51 PM »
Looks good Rob. Some of those woodwork suppliers sell the mechanisms & stick on numbers. Might be able to create your own face.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #4343 on: July 24, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks heaps fellas...I was kinda hoping someone would know where to start looking in ernest for suitable clocks etc.
Flea bay - clocks...was about the extent of my imagination !
Also following your rocking horse restore Ray.
Cheers
Rob
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:48:32 PM by archer63 »

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4344 on: July 24, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
That clamp looks like an Antler, sure it's not a reindeer your building out of a Horse? >:D >:D >:D
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #4345 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Edit: clock outer measurement is 24cm...not 45cm  :-[

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4346 on: July 24, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
Tried this business?

https://www.cobbcoclocks.com/

They have a large range, including kits and movements.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4347 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:05 AM »

Now that the easy bit is done....the hard bit now is to hunt down a suitable 24cm clock face (extreme outer casing measurement) that will suit the wheel itself. Have already had a brief look on fleaybay but nothing so far has shown itself to be the one.

Cheers
Rob

Google the German clock maker guy at Montville. Not sure if he's still there or not, but worth a shot.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4348 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:56 AM »
Very nice Rob, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4349 on: July 25, 2018, 06:24:57 AM »
Google the German clock maker guy at Montville. Not sure if he's still there or not, but worth a shot.

I had a little play with my Google..... he's still there it would seem.
I reckon, tell the wife you're going for nice drive into the mountains and just stumble across the clock place.

Geez, what a coincidence too, you just happened to have the wooden wheel in the boot too.  :angel: