Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1726022 times)

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
For me a bit of alone time in my shed is the ultimate R&R.  Some like to snooze on the couch or lounge around by the pool, but for me pottering around in the shed on a weekend is the perfect wind down after a busy working week.

So considering this forum has many people who are pretty hand I thought why show off what we get up to in our man caves.  Doesn't matter if its your driveway, carport, 3m X 3m garden shed or a drool worthy kitted out workshop.

For me today was suposed to consist of re-oiling the garden furniture after pressure cleaning and sanding it the other week.  Then it was of to Rosebud in the arvo to catch up with the family for the night.  Jumped in the car, turn the key and click, click, click.  Now this happened a few weeks ago and I thought is was just a loose battery terminal, which after a clean and tighten came good.  A phone call to a mechanic mate and it was diagnosed as burnt out contacts on the solenoid.  A common Hilux problem.

So out it came and a good file down and sand of the plunger and contacts its all good.  I'm reluctant to refit it though, I'll head out tomorrow and try and get a new solenoid plunger and contact kit, so I'm not redoing it in a few weeks/months.

Then it was onto the inlaws Waeco CF50 fridge.  It crapped itself a few years ago and now with a new (2nd hand) camper on the way they want it fixed.  A quick google of the error light code and it turns out its the model with the dodgy polyfuse problem.  It's usally a $300-$400 dollar fix by a Waeco repairer, but the actual part only costs $1.50!.  Waeco repace the whole circuit board, which is the hardest thing to remove.  It involves carfully bending the cooling pipes out of the way to get the board.

The culprit.

A trip down to Jaycar should have it sorted tomorrow.
This link was a big help.  http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t42448120/waeco-powersupply/?page=1&sort=oldestFirst

Last weekend was our annual boys weekend away at the Ballarat Swap Meet.  It's become a tradition over the last 15 years and with a quite few mates into hotrods and muscle cars it's a must.
A year or 2 ago I saw a neat setup up in the back of a troopy on a building site.  The bloke had taken an old cheapy 2hp direct drive air compressor, removed the 240v motor and pump and plumbed it up in the back with a twin pistion ABR compressor.
So when I spotted a little working 21L 2hp Super Cheap Auto compressor for $15 I couldn't resist.

The Bushranger compressor is just sitting on it and I still need to wire up a 40amp relay through the pressure switch and connect some anderson plugs.  Takes just under 4 minutes to get to 100psi and no leaks thanks to some liquid thread sealer, never using teflon tape again!
$15 dollars for a 21 litre air tank, pressure switch, gauge, 1 way valve and a pile a jamac type fittings!

Now just need to work out what to do with it?  Mount it under the camper or keep it portable?  Will be handy when we go on our trail bike weekends away.

So...  What did you do?

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
Tinkered a bit more with the camper electrics. Did a general shed tidy up, washed, squeegeed and mopped the floor. Why I ever chose to paint my shed floor light grey is beyond me!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:30:07 PM by Marcus73 »

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
I filled mine with lots of boxes!  ;D two weeks to go and then I get my proper man cave back with a wood burner and tv lol

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:42:39 PM »
This thread is a day late  ;D - I was in the cave yesterday. A mate came around so I could help him fit the Tigerz winch to his new bullbar on his 80 Series. A quick look through the contents of the box and it was off to the cave to fabricate a control box mount. Once that was done the winch was installed and wired and tested - all good.

Then back to the cave to make up a solar extension lead and mod a few other leads to be compatible for his setup (all with anderson plugs now).

We ran out of time but the next project may be to plasma cut an access area on the top deck of the bullbar to make it easier to activate the clutch lever.....

Today...just cleaned up a bit.....and cooked a leg of lamb on the Q  :cheers:

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline eman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
Fabricated a new roof rack for the Pajero using a $20 welder off eBay. Wanted a low profile rack that could hold the oztent and not cost the earth. Used the Thule feet I had from the old bars along with some unistrut for the cross bars. Total weight is 19kg. Just need to slap some paint on it now.

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
Not related to camping stuff.

Making another one of these.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »
l make toys , trucks ,tractors , trains from offcuts or what every you want really . Carving bomles is fun as long as you dont fillet you finger at the same tine . Creating nrw attachments or mods for toys  . Or just repairing the toys to keep things going  l was thinking of releaing a CD collection called " Busy noises from the shed ' . Pop the CD on & everybody thinks you hard at it  . A new sound  tracks for each day You can then spend you day sipping a coldie or 3 . Should be a " Top 10 ' AT LEAST  :cheers: Orders taken  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »
Not related to camping stuff.

Making another one of these.
Styled on a Roebuck..??

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:34 AM »
Got home and grabbed a beer after being away for a month with work without having a beer!!!!

I'll find something to do in there today!!

Cheers

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »
............l was thinking of releaing a CD collection called " Busy noises from the shed ' . Pop the CD on & everybody thinks you hard at it..........

..........for authenticity, add a loud expletive every now and then........... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »
..........for authenticity, add a loud expletive every now and then........... ;D ;D
Please PM me with the Most Used Word for you personal collection   . l dont understand what you on about  :cheers:

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
Yesterday I put spacers on the hub caps on the new wheels on the CT .. Stood back and admired a job well-done -- It is important to admire ones cave work !!

Then I just tinkered with some solar charging stuff and got a 120 Watt kit tested and packed for shipping out tomorrow...
It got to 38 in the cave so I had a beer and admired the hub caps again !!
Fitted a single ball catch to the cave / house door so hands are not required to go from cave to house - just PUSH !! No more dirty finger marks on her door !! :cup:
Mandrake
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:07:18 AM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline no address

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
As my site name suggests, I'm not home much, can't use the shed anyway, it's 3 parts full of timber slabs and boards (left overs from my mobile milling days) and the other part is junk. To work on anything in the shed I have to clean a 2mtr square area by putting the junk outside. That's about to change as I'm going to get dumping most of it. Watching those shows about hoarders has inspired me to get rid of it. I'm one of those people who think " I better keep that I may have a use for that one day" but never do until after I chuck it out ;D.

Marschy

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
Swapped over the cheap Chinese water pump for a more expensive Chinese water pump (Seaflo). Will be wiring it up today after plumbing it in yesterday. I've got two cistern taps to try out. One is garden variety washer type tap, the other is a quarter turn tap, but not bull cock. It requires a certain pressure before it allows water through, so not sure it will be suitable for the pressure pump. Today I will know.

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »
Styled on a Roebuck..??

BHG

I use the Anothony Dew laminated Little Rocky plan.

Offline Big Tread

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Didn't work in the shed, rather trying to work on it. Here's my work in progress.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
-----------------------------------------
2007 VX Prado
Tambo Omeo

Offline no address

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
Very good work Raym, I've got a woodworking mag some were that has this bloke who makes rocking horses out of blocks of wood, was going to have a go at it myself using his idea than rough shape it with an abortech then final sand and finish. Mick

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
I drank a six pack of cider and a bottle of vodka in the shed last night
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »
Very good work Raym, I've got a woodworking mag some were that has this bloke who makes rocking horses out of blocks of wood, was going to have a go at it myself using his idea than rough shape it with an abortech then final sand and finish. Mick
Mate watch out for the Abortech  :-[ l ran it down my finger ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,did a job on it . Should grow the skin back ,,,,,eventully  :cheers:
Always wanted to have a crack at a rocking horse , those look really great  :cup: :cup:

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
I have a few projects sitting on the bench waiting to go into the car or the camper, but the rain has not stopped......
Did make some timber items for my wifes classroom, bought a $5 oil drip tray from SuperCheap, mounted it to a piece of 3mm ply, she will use that as a magnetic maths board for the kind in kindergarten. I am also almost finished a four door panel, helps the little ones with fine motor skills, unlocking padlocks, undoing latches and discovering words on the board behind...
Its the colours she more than anything, bright reds, blues, yellows and green...
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »
Nothing as flash as the rest of ya's
Knocked up a temporary bracket to hold the 2x cig & Usb outlet.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
Great idea for a thread  :cup: , because of all the rain it's impossable to do anything outside so I too have been in the cave tidying up a few lose ends.

Firstly...........Refill the beer fridge  :cheers:.

Second.........Change the power lead for the compressor and fit an Anderson plug so we can plug straight into the camper or 4x4.

Third............Change the air outlet fitting on the Bushranger compressor To a Nitto fitting to suit all our other air fittings in the cruiser, and then modded their hose to our normal Nitto fittings.........Their "special" fittng didn't mate up with any of our other air line fittings.

Forth............Clean, sand, prime and paint our spare tow hooks that came off the old 62 cruiser, our son will no doubt want them when he saves up some coin to buy a Hilux  ;D

Five..............Made up a spares bottle with a spare fuel pump, 2 x fuel filters and an oil filter for the 100 series to be thrown in the back on the "big" trips.

I wasn't alone throughout all this, I was helped be my little girl "Seisia", she appatently owns the shed these days and likes to keep an eye on anything that happens in "her'' shed  ;D

Cheers
John K
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
You can't move in the shed without a little helper  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
jk, jk, jk.........

A fridge full of Corona in one pic  :o, ::) then a pic of Seisia  :cup: :cup:.

I'm conflicted............dunno whether to slap you, or hug you......... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
Good to see your've got your work boots on too JK :cheers: :cheers: look like the same brand as mine :cup: