Author Topic: Dreaming of a Tambo in SA  (Read 4698 times)

Chester

Dreaming of a Tambo in SA
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

Quick intro. We've been looking around for a camper for months now and seem to be treading water at the moment.

Not sure how I missed this forum but I came accross it yesterday and have added a few more hours to the seemingly endless camper research. Spent most of last Saturday at the SA Caravan and Camping show drooling over the campers however I still haven't had a chance to eyeball the no 1 camper on my wish list - the Tambo Cooper.

I have had a close look at the Sar Major which is a similar price point but I don't think the trailer is in the same leauge as the Tambo. The Cameron Canvas campers look the goods but wow what a price tag. I think the Cavalier is overpriced for the basic format offered.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a comparable camper in SA?? Budget approx 12.5k new or used ok

Cheers.

Offline Rossco

• Never to far from home
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Dreaming of a Tambo in SA
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »
   Welcome aboard Chester. Yes, the Cooper is a very nice unit and good value for $s. We have friends with one and they are rapt with it. Another friend had it listed as first choice but bought something else simply because of the long delivery wait. So I guess that says something about Tambo. Anyway, good hunting and good luck with whatever you settle on.
    :cheers: Rossco.
'03 4.2 TD ST Patrol and O'Brien's CT both set up for our requirements.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
I am a little biased and believe they are great value and are also well built both in the trailer and the canvas. You can see my Tambo here,

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=1870.0

There was one the other day in the classifieds section that looked OK for the money, it is only a short trip over to pick it up and you could camp out on the way home. Good luck on your search and ask away if you need any details e the Tambo.

Garrick

Chester

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the link GGPartol. Love the mods you have made to the Tambo.

I saw the one in the classifieds and it looked like good value. From memory it was in Vic which is fine to pick up a new one but I thought it was a bit of a drive to kick the tyres.

Rossco mentioned there was a bit of a wait on a new Tambo are we talking 3 months or 12 months??

Cheers

Chester

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
3-4 month wait is usual for a Tambo
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Moggs

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
Hi Chester, We have a Tambo Cooper with all the fruit and a few mods (dirt bike carrier, electric water pump and filter, extra jerry holder, stone guard extensions, centre divider, axe / shovel holders etc). We spent about a year researching campers and decided on the Tambo - absolutely love it. Keith and Amanda are great to deal with and whatever the wait it will be worth it if you value quality at the right $$.

We are relocating from Melbourne to Adelaide at the moment and will be bringing the Tambo over late March. If you want to have a good look at one I would be more than happy to show it to you late March / early April. Just let us know if it would be of help and we can set something up.
Cheers,
Moggs
A big green 4wd
Tambo Cooper

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
G'day & welcome.

There are usually plenty of helpful members on here who willing to check out a camper for someone else. I bought my camper secondhand, sight unseen, from 800km away. We agreed a price based on photos and a good discussion, then agreed to meet half way, with the clear understanding that if things weren't as described the deal would be renegotiated.

Anyway, good luck.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
G'day Chester and welcome to Myswag. See what happens when you become a swagger mate. You become a member of this awesome camper trailer community that is more than happy to help out a fellow swagger if it can. :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Shemdaph

• GONE TROPPO
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum
Daniel
06 Patrol ST 3.0 Auto
Cub Supamatic Camper &
AORC Odyssey ZR

Chester

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
Thanks everyone.

What a great bunch on this forum. Good to hear that you are moving over to SA Moggs. We will have to let you settle in first but would love to check out your Tambo when it suits.

I made another post in the general discussion area about options on a new Tambo and have had some awesome feedback. The waiting will kill me but sounds like it will be worth it.

Cheers,

Chester

Offline JNR

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
challenge camper trailers in adelaide.cheers trev
GQ 4.2 DIESEL ST WAGON WITH A FEW GOODIES.

Offline Juzzo

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Welcome Chester

My wife and I are in the same boat as you. We have been researching for the past two months and have Tambo at the top of the list. We drove up for a look at their setup a couple of weeks ago and it was very, very impressive indeed.

Justin

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
  • Whats around the corner
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
 ;D Putting deposit on Tambo Omeo today! Pick up September. Have done the countless hours of research and always headed right back to tambo,Quailty,service and value for money. Isnt this what we all want,the choice was easy in the end! ;D Long wait my choice.

Offline nuthermug

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
Hi Chester,
I,am in a similar boat to you I am short listing campers the Camel they tell me is a good camper and has an agent in Adelaide. That is on my short list as is the cameron Iam nearly over the shock of the price tag, but it is the easiest one I can find to put up.

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
Welcome Chester,

The tambo is worth the wait,  just a great piece of kit with after sales and support to match.  I may be a little biased though (check below).  If you have any questions about the Tambo just ask.

Regards
Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
If you're in SA I'd be checking out Heaslip. A few 2nd hand units on the net @ the moment too.
We have a 98' model and they have changed little which goes to show they were on to a good thing. The only thing I would change, and may add in the future, is the addition of a front tool box/boot in which I would set-up the electrical system and store the battery.
As is though they are a very good quality, practical, well thought-out camper with great kitchen and organised storage. The tent section is the best I've seen and made by Universal Canvas (also of S.A).
Rob and Judy still offer great after-sales support even though I am the second owner and some 13 years after manufacture :cup:

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag  :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback