Author Topic: D'day from Sydney  (Read 2858 times)

Offline mborgy85

• Learning the Ropes
D'day from Sydney
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
I've been hanging around the forum for some time now so i fugured it was finally time to join in on all the fun.

My whole family has owned a string of campers over the years but i've taken a particular interest in building or modifying my own 4WD and camper trailer to suit myself and my partners particular needs.

Tough touring is my type of camping, it's what i love. There's something about hitching up the camper trailer, going to places that only keen 4WDers can get to and than camping in style. The forum so far i has given me some great advice and awsome idea's so i figured i should start posting and contributing to hopefully return the favour.

The project set-up at the moment is my 80 series landcruiser. Its been converted into a single cab ute with a custom canopy for camping. But the best thing is it's running a 6.5L turbo diesel Chevy which is music to my ears! Its got a whole bunch of mod's coming up in the future so it should become a fairly capable Tourer.

The camper trailer touring magazine has been following the build of my camper trailer so far. Its just a basic trailer I picked up from ebay and intend to build it up of the next 12 months or so. I'll upload some recent images of it when i get a chance, but so far its just a heavy duty steel galvinised trailer with 60 series leaf springs and a solid chasis and drawbar. So far i've replaced the bearings and axle, added electric brakes, a custom motor bike rack, on-board air compressor and 12V and 240V power pack. I'm looking at the options as far as the tent and so far a good quality roof top tent and awning seems to suit my needs the best. A full slide out kitchen and fully sealed storage boxes right around the camper are coming soon if everything goes to plan.

The camper in the pic below is one i borrowed from my uncle to head south for a few days.

Look forward to the chatting with everybody and sharing any useful info i pick up along the way!!!

Cheers

Borgy

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
Re: D'day from Sydney
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse, good to see you have the pic thing sorted  :D.

Nice looking 80 you have there, they look great as a single cab. I wanted to put a Chevy in my 80 but SWMBO says no so we will look for a stock TD 80.

Cannot wait to see pics of the trailer build.

What part of Sydney are you in?

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline mborgy85

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
G'day Bunyip,

I had a bit of help uploading the pic's so i cant take credit for that.
The chevy sounds great and goes pretty good as well but i havn't had it out for a decent run yet so i cant wait for the madden voyage.  I was after a standard TD 80 series aswell, awsome 4WD i reckon. But i stumbled upon this rig and just could'nt help myself- I purposly forgot to inform the other half of the power plant, so that was interesting! 

I'm in southwest sydney around Narellan or Marcarthur district.   

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
G'day Borgy ,

To Myswag.
Hmmm, a 6.5L turbo diesel Chevy in an 80  ;D Nice!!!
Did you have the conversion done, or did some one else do it?
A great setup you have there  :cup:
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Happy & Safe travels.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
Gday Borgy and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Look forward to following your build.

Happy camping
KB

Offline mborgy85

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
Thanks guys,

Hairs- I stumbled across this project only half complete and could'nt help myself. The chev was already mounted to the original landcruiser 5 speed box and was sitting in the engine bay with nothing else hooked up to it. So there was a bit of mucking around to do the rest but the hard work was done. I've got a trailer load of upgrades for it including a tough dog 4 inch lift kit, winch bar and winch, snorkel, water tank and LED lighting but just hav'nt had the time to hook into it yet.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »
Hey Borgy,
You can stop right there, I don't want to know  ;D
Nah, Half ya luck and good on ya.  :D
She'll make an awesome rig mate  :cup:

:cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)