Author Topic: Can an on road camper go off road.  (Read 5316 times)

Offline jack n rory

• Learning the Ropes
Can an on road camper go off road.
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »
Hello all. My wife and i are in the process of getting ourselves a pop top camper. We are looking at second hand, something like a Jayco Swan or Dove. I have recently been asked by a friend at work if i would like to go with him and two other familys on a trip from Melbourne to Uluru and back to Melbourne via Lambert centre, Mt. Dare, Oodnadatta, William Creek, Marree and Burra. My question is could an on road version do this trip. Has anyone done it? I have heard a lot of differing opinions on what could and couldent do the Oodnadatta track. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Shane.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Can an on road camper go off road.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
I can't see why not, those tracks aren't all that hard on things, you just have to drive a bit more carefully, you see heaps of onroad vans and trailers up that way.

Go over the camper and replace anything that you think needs replacing, do the wheel bearings check the brakes and replace pads, tighten every thing.

Enjoy the trip,

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
Hi Shane
I have done that trip and the oodnadatta track was well graded however the roads around dalhousie and lamberts centre, finke etc were real car wreckers so therefore I wouldn't take an onroad trailer unless you were prepared to drive stupidly slow IMHO
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »
Look i suppose it could i have seen ford falcons drive the oodnadatta.

It is just a question of what you are willing to risk and and can you do any pre work  to minimise risk so have a look at your camper

1. can you chuck on some small 15 inch or similar hilux rims and some offroad tyres (this will be your weakest point)
2. Get some split tube and cover any exposed wiring or pipes (electric brakes wires escpecially)
3. Use duct tape or make up some covers for fridge vents etc (should be done weather on road or offroad)
4. Take some spares, spare bearing set and maybe a spare leaf or 2 as your suspension will cop a pounding
5. Have a hard look at yourself and you mate what is your dirt road experience and are you happy to go at your own pace or will ego get the better of you and you have to keep up

At the end of the day an onroad camper with a few little mods and a driver that is aware of his own capabilities and that of his trailer will get much further than a fully set up offroad trailer driven by a complete dickhead

Personally after driving the odnadatta twice i would do it as long as i had a well prepared tow vehcile, however if it rains all bets are off
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
Lol and there are two different opinions! Clear as mud now? ;)

I guess it depends on the conditions of the roads at the time you are there!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
Lol and there are two different opinions! Clear as mud now? ;)

I guess it depends on the conditions of the roads at the time you are there!

Your dead right mate i am basing my opinions on both times it did it was dry as and recently graded if i did not have the camper on i could have easily sat on 90 plus
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
Your dead right mate i am basing my opinions on both times it did it was dry as and recently graded if i did not have the camper on i could have easily sat on 90 plus

Yeh last year from finke to Alice had just been graded the day or so prior to me using it. People I was talking to at Alice told me they turned around and gave the road a miss it was that bad before it was graded so luck of the draw I guess :)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Personally I wouldn't risk it - you may be lucky and hit it when the road has just been graded, but it doesn't take long after grading for it to deteriorate to a state that will do your trailer no good at all.

It's not just the suspension, it's also the way the frame and interior fittings are constructed.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
G'day Shane,

To MySwag,
What a great trip you have planned, Good stuff.
Plenty of great info in the threads here.
Happy & Safe travels,
Post up pics of your trip when you go.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »
Hi Shane and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 07:50:06 AM »
Hi and welcome to myswag! You will love it here I'm sure :)
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
G'day & Welcome. From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the Jayco models. The "Offroad" sticker is as much about marketing as fit for purpose.

As above, the tyres would be the weakest point, then suspension and general build quality. If you plan on keeping your camper for some time, why not just hire something for this trip. Grab an offroad setup that you can be confident in and that will not cause you to have to tiptoe along the track should conditions be rough.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
There are plenty of stickered-up '4X4 Off Road Super Duper"trailers  lying broken out there... but your 'on-road' chassis may be fine (I know mine is!).

Some hints: maybe you could get a 4WDing mate to take a look...?
What are chassis member dimensions?
Are there outriggers under the floor - if so, are they tin or solid RHS (like teh chassis should be)?
Are the walls supported by teh chassis or just the floor?
Is the suspension eye-to-eye leaf?
What size/type are the wheel bearings? Axle size?

etc
also look at stone strike protection of body, pipes/wiring/etc

You gotta look at the possible WORST conditions likely, not just hope for the best!

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Eureka

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Depends on whether you intend to keep the camper afterwards and how old the camper chassis is to start with.
 As with many 4 wd tracks, you can get a 2 wd car to do the track - once, but the vehicle will be stuffed by doing it.
 If it was me I would fit new springs, go up a load rating on the axle, over sling the axle and use the 15 inch tyre/wheels as suggested above.
Change the hitch for a new one, put an extra strap on the under chassis fittings like the water tank and be carrying tools.

The camper will probably do the trip OK as long as you drive to the conditions and the fact you have a lighter duty camper on the rear.
If life is stranger than you think, then it means you need to let your imagination off the leash more.

Offline jack n rory

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
Thank you to every one for your input. I have a bit of work to do to the van but i can get her up to scratch. I think that with the right preperation and driving attitude it can be done and i am looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks,
Shane.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 03:29:29 AM »
jack n rory Welcome to MySwag . Learning to ask the question ios the best thing to get you going . Your rig should do the job but sight unseen its anybodys guess . Drive to the conditions & remember the rig might get yhou there so be kind to it & it might get you back too. As to prep for the trip no matter how much you do it might not be enough something is just waiting to snag your plan .
If you have a wagon with flat glass at the rear DO cover it with corflute or carboard as stones WILL destroy it . . i have 3500 km of dust still in my rig . Enjoy  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust