Author Topic: campomatic trailers  (Read 17002 times)

Offline ipickles

• Learning the Ropes
campomatic trailers
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
hi all, my swaggers.
this is my first post on my swag but have been actively reading posts for quite some time.
could any one help me with some more info about the campomatic camp trailer in particular the ranger xtc ss, i would be interested to hear from any one owning one of these units and hearing there good or bad points if any, also i have been told that the campermatic brand has moved off shore can any one confirm this, and in what year were the last campers made in Australia.
waiting in anticipation, kindest regards pickles.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: campomatic trailers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 08:57:05 AM »
Welcome to myswag ipickles! I have nfi about campomatic trailers but I am sure somebody will be able to answer your question.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

There are two or three members with Campomatics on here, and I am sure that all will sing their praise. They are well made, excellent off road and very practical. There is some discussion about a change in quality, as at some point more recently they were allegedly made from Chinese manufactured components, but the last time I asked them, they were making them in Rydalmere in Sydney.

they seem to hold their value very well, so the few 2nd hand units I've seen have been almost as much as a new unit, ~$32K.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag ipickles :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »
Hi ipickles
Welcome to My Swag carn't help you with info on the campomatic they have been around a far while Happy Trails
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline squirell

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
Hi and welcome, sorry, I'm a soft floor user myself, can't help, enjoy your stay.

Squirell/Graeme
Just spendin' the kids inheritence !!

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »

If they are from the same mob that currently own Trak Shak, steer well clear. Or buy a second hand one.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
If they are from the same mob that currently own Trak Shak, steer well clear. Or buy a second hand one.
??? ???
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
??? ???

They are owned and imported by the same company. Don't go there. Buy an early aussie built one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:30:55 PM by Jason B »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:45:36 AM »
ipickles  Welcome to MySwag , I am amazed you have read heaps of posts & still you have joined . Then read on Enjoy & dont be bashful join in the fun   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Welcome on-board.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
Camp-o-matic , originaly made at Yatala [ just sth of Beenliegh Qld ] then moved to SA and now based in Sydney NSW ,  original  [Yatala] and early SA built upto 05/06  seem to have a better build quality than the current new crop made .

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, I am sure someone can answer your queries

GG

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
I have 2 mates who have them. One owned an older model and loved it but damaged it in an accident. Both him and another mate (who was about to retire) checked out the new ones and placed orders on them. The mate with the damaged one got his new camper around 6 months ago and was very disappointed in the quality of it, lots of small things that he has had to fix but should have been picked up before delivery. As an example, he went to fill up the wate tank and when the hose wouldn't go in, he had a peek and noticed he could see inside the camper! Thank god he hadn't turned the tap on! The retiree who already had put his order in threatened them to not deliver his until a proper pre-delivery inspection was made. While it was much better he still had isses - the was a buckle in the panel close to where the boat rack had been fitted and as for the boat rack, it took 3 men to hold it down to get his tinny on. It sounded to me like the struts supplied were the wrong spec. From these 2 I gather the basic product is good but the finishing off and pre-delivery inspection leaves a lot to be desired. Surely not a hard thing to fix with the right people.

Mark.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
Originally they were made in Australia then the owners had them made in China and imported them. Apparently the quality went downhill from there It seems that they at least now send Australian made canvass to China for sewing to improve the quality. Those with older models swear by them.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class

Offline ipickles

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
thanks every one for you're helpfull comments, i am looking at a second hand campomatic camper, no decisions made yet just doing a bit of home work. can anyone tell me when or what year they started shipping from china.
thanks again every one for you're time. kindest regards pickles.         

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
thanks every one for you're helpfull comments, i am looking at a second hand campomatic camper, no decisions made yet just doing a bit of home work. can anyone tell me when or what year they started shipping from china.

If it was the same time as the TS it would be about 2004. However I think they may have picked up the campomatic business later than that. I think the current management took over in about 2008.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Plenty of people with obviously no real facts or experience with the Camp-o-matic brand, and all too ready to pass on hear say information.  Bit disappointing really.  

ipickles, I'll try and compile some real informaiton for you and either post it up here or PM you bit later tonight.  I've just got home from yet another brilliant weekend away in my Camp-o-matic Ranger XTC.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:29:15 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Plenty of people with obviously no real facts or experience with the Camp-o-matic brand, and all too ready to pass on hear say information.  Bit disappointing really, even from some of the so called senior members of the forum. 

ipickles, I'll try and compile some real informaiton for you and either post it up here or PM you bit later tonight.  I've just got home from yet another brilliant weekend in my Camp-o-matic Ranger XTC.

As I stated mate I bought a TS from this mob that now import Campomatic and I wouldn't feed them. I have plenty of photos, correspondance, and eventually my money back to prove my point. There were plenty of Campo's in for warranty work when I went in there.

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
Plenty of people with obviously no real facts or experience with the Camp-o-matic brand, and all too ready to pass on hear say information

I have a feeling that may be directed at my response? My '2 mates' I refer to...I worked with one for 3 years and was only talking to him last night, he's on his trip around Oz right now and is happy with the Campomatic now he's ironed out the bugs. I have his boat he left at home because of the boat rack issue! The other was the president of my old 4wd club who travels for 3 months every year in his 'old' campomatic. Being a bit younger amd more computer savvy I helped these 2 reduce pictures to get them e-mailed off to campomatic as proof of their claims.

I have an Aussie made Trak Shak and on my trip around Oz I ran into a very peeved off bloke who had a new Chinese Trak Shak with lots of issues which he showed me. But I've also read about people quite happy with their new Trak Shaks. As a Trak Shak owner with real experience with the brand, I'd be hesitant buying a new one until I saw it in front of me. No doubt the same thing is happening with the Campomatics, some are good and others not so.

Mark.

Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline johno65

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
hi ipickles
there are two topics that really get people moving on my swag 12 volt power supply and campomatic ct's My campo which I have had for 18 months,2006 xtc has performed really good and suits me,tows beautifully and is easy to set up,good quality appliances and layout and a lot cheaper than a aussie swag or a KK.In the end it is up to the individual to make a choice of what they want of a campertrailer and its end use.See you out in the bush johno 65 8)
2010 200 series landcruiser 2006 campomatic ranger XTC

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

Camp-o-matic was a family owned and run company in Queensland for over 30 years, and was sold and moved to SA.  During its time based in SA, a move was made to have the campers manufactured overseas, and qulity control slipped, and what was a brilliantly designed and manufactured camper, soon was dogged by quality issues, and poorly finished off products.  From what I can gather these quality issues and overseas manufacture commenced around 2004/2005, and continued until the company was eventually purchased and moved to Sydney in 2007/2008.

Now based in Sydney, the company moved from overseas manufacture, to overseas manufacture of the rolling chassis and reverted back to local assembly, to include a few more local products, including all of the canvas being Wax Converters canvas manufactured in the Hunter Valley in NSW, all of the 240 electrical parts are either clipsal or HPM, the stove and sink is from Spinflow manufactured in the UK, all of the gas components are from local suppliers in Sydney, the LED lights and reading lights are from Hella Australia while all of the external lights are from Narva Australia, the fride is from Waeco in Queensland and the window mesh is supplied by Stratco but imported from Japan.

A fully optioned Camp/o/matic Ranger XTC including boat loader and full canvas walls will now set you back the best part of $42,000-$44,000, however there are a few later modelled Ranger XTC seconhand units being sold for prices ranging from $21,000 to $30,000.

If considering a secondhand unit in the 2004 to 2005 era, which is the time quality started to slip, if you look at the canvas awning around the stove area, you will find that some have an extended piece over the kitchen area, whereas some will have no extention and the adjacent pole will be closer to the end of the extended kitchen.  The extended awning is a sign that the camper could be an overseas manufactured model.

I have spoken to owners of Camp/o/matic campers which have been purchased from SA, and yes they have had quite a few issues including leaking or poor quality canvas and cracked draw bars, however they were quick to defend the Sydney based operation, and actually praised them for their attempts to rectify problems surfacing in their SA purchased campers.

So to sum up, if you are purchasing a secondhand unit from 2004 or prior, you could be pretty safe in the thoughts that it was one of the quality Australian built units.  If purchasing a model around the 2007/2008 era, be aware that it could either be a complete oversease built unit, or one of the overseas chassis assembled in Australia using Australian canvas and other bibs and bobs.  I have a friend who is about to take delivery of a 2009 model, and I will be interested to compare it to my 2002 model in close quarters.  I was down at Camp/o/matic HQ in Sydney last week and did have a little time to go over a current display model, and whilst I noticed some areas which appeared to be lighter in construction, I'll reserve my judgement until I can get a closer look at my mates newish camper.

Overseas manufacture does not automatically indicate poor quality, but in the Camp/o/matic campers it does indicate that perhaps a closer inspection is required.  Reallistically most off-road campers will never get used to their full potential, and what will fail on one could either be the result of hard use, or it could be the result of inferior manufacture.

Good luck with your decision.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Camp-o-matic was a family owned and run company in Queensland for over 30 years, and was sold and moved to SA.  During its time based in SA, a move was made to have the campers manufactured overseas, and qulity control slipped, and what was a brilliantly designed and manufactured camper, soon was dogged by quality issues, and poorly finished off products.  From what I can gather these quality issues and overseas manufacture commenced around 2004/2005, and continued until the company was eventually purchased and moved to Sydney in 2007/2008.

Now based in Sydney, the company moved from overseas manufacture, to overseas manufacture of the rolling chassis and reverted back to local assembly, to include a few more local products, including all of the canvas being Wax Converters canvas manufactured in the Hunter Valley in NSW, all of the 240 electrical parts are either clipsal or HPM, the stove and sink is from Spinflow manufactured in the UK, all of the gas components are from local suppliers in Sydney, the LED lights and reading lights are from Hella Australia while all of the external lights are from Narva Australia, the fride is from Waeco in Queensland and the window mesh is supplied by Stratco but imported from Japan.

A fully optioned Camp/o/matic Ranger XTC including boat loader and full canvas walls will now set you back the best part of $42,000-$44,000, however there are a few later modelled Ranger XTC seconhand units being sold for prices ranging from $21,000 to $30,000.

If considering a secondhand unit in the 2004 to 2005 era, which is the time quality started to slip, if you look at the canvas awning around the stove area, you will find that some have an extended piece over the kitchen area, whereas some will have no extention and the adjacent pole will be closer to the end of the extended kitchen.  The extended awning is a sign that the camper could be an overseas manufactured model.

I have spoken to owners of Camp/o/matic campers which have been purchased from SA, and yes they have had quite a few issues including leaking or poor quality canvas and cracked draw bars, however they were quick to defend the Sydney based operation, and actually praised them for their attempts to rectify problems surfacing in their SA purchased campers.

So to sum up, if you are purchasing a secondhand unit from 2004 or prior, you could be pretty safe in the thoughts that it was one of the quality Australian built units.  If purchasing a model around the 2007/2008 era, be aware that it could either be a complete oversease built unit, or one of the overseas chassis assembled in Australia using Australian canvas and other bibs and bobs.  I have a friend who is about to take delivery of a 2009 model, and I will be interested to compare it to my 2002 model in close quarters.  I was down at Camp/o/matic HQ in Sydney last week and did have a little time to go over a current display model, and whilst I noticed some areas which appeared to be lighter in construction, I'll reserve my judgement until I can get a closer look at my mates newish camper.

Overseas manufacture does not automatically indicate poor quality, but in the Camp/o/matic campers it does indicate that perhaps a closer inspection is required.  Reallistically most off-road campers will never get used to their full potential, and what will fail on one could either be the result of hard use, or it could be the result of inferior manufacture.

Good luck with your decision.

Gunna Do

What you have posted is mostly spot on from what I understand. Except that I was told by them after being to the factory to return my TS and questioning them (because things were not adding up) that they are fully imported with Chinese air in the tyres. They are given a final detail and sent out the door. The Canvas (Wax converters as indicated) is actually shipped to China sewn up and fitted over there. All of the fittings in the TS are Chinese. The Campomatic is their premium hard floor however I bet the unit you looked at was in the front display room. The factory around the side is a storage facility only, their main business is audio equipment - go figure.

Offline ipickles

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »
thanks every one for taking you're time to help me in my asked questions.
we are currently looking around and the campomatic caught my eye as they seem well priced for a unit like this.
i will defiantly take on board all you re kind help and advice.
thanks again every one most appreciated.
kindest regards pickles.

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »

Gunna Do

What you have posted is mostly spot on from what I understand. Except that I was told by them after being to the factory to return my TS and questioning them (because things were not adding up) that they are fully imported with Chinese air in the tyres. They are given a final detail and sent out the door. The Canvas (Wax converters as indicated) is actually shipped to China sewn up and fitted over there. All of the fittings in the TS are Chinese. The Campomatic is their premium hard floor however I bet the unit you looked at was in the front display room. The factory around the side is a storage facility only, their main business is audio equipment - go figure.

The unit I looked at was out the back in the shed mixed in with all the PA equipement, and it did surprise me that there wasn't some sort of small production line of partly built campers, so your suggestion about where they are built has a lot of merit.  Thanks for the extra info and insight into the current Camp-o-matic business practices.  Much appreciated.

As a very happy Camp-o-matic camper owner, I have tried to gain as much information on the brand as I can, so am happy to take on board any extra information.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:14:43 PM by Gunna Do »