Author Topic: Any Sparkies out there  (Read 15880 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Any Sparkies out there
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
I think this can vary dramatically, I have walked into some wholesaler's and got much better prices than you can get at Bunnings, I have also walked into them when they have tried to charge 2-3x what bunnings charge, always best to know the cost of what you want as wholesalers seldom advertise their prices.
recent purchases of outdoor double GPO's, conduit, LED downlights etc have all been about half the price of Bunnings at my local wholesaler.  In saying that, my local Ideal electrical are quite expensive in general for me to walk into, so I go to CNW instead.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
I'm a sparkie by trade but work for an Electrical distributor and this is were I get my stuff unless i'm in a hurry. https://agmelectrical.com.au/
If I am in a hurry I go between wholesalers and Bunnings. It just depends what I need.

As for getting electric shocks, it is the current (amps) that kills ya not the voltage. It takes about 30mA (0.03 Amps) of current to cause respiratory paralysis. About 75mA (.075 Amps) cause ventricular fibrillation (a defibrillator may save you) and about 4 Amps to cause you heart to stop. 

Just remember gents your power points are good for 10 Amps.

Plus trade courses exist for a reason.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
Who needs a course when you can DIY. To many facts and figures, small minds here cannot fathom them.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 09:55:08 PM »
I think this can vary dramatically, I have walked into some wholesaler's and got much better prices than you can get at Bunnings, I have also walked into them when they have tried to charge 2-3x what bunnings charge, always best to know the cost of what you want as wholesalers seldom advertise their prices.

The guys at the trade counter have quite a bit of say on what the final price is.  In my experience if they think you are a DIY guy then you won't be getting the good price - and why should you, as you are just undercutting all the tradies out there.  I don't work in the trade anymore but I still maintain my licences, which come in handy when buying stuff wholesale.

As for getting electric shocks, it is the current (amps) that kills ya not the voltage. It takes about 30mA (0.03 Amps) of current to cause respiratory paralysis. About 75mA (.075 Amps) cause ventricular fibrillation (a defibrillator may save you) and about 4 Amps to cause you heart to stop. 

Just remember gents your power points are good for 10 Amps.

So many things wrong there.  The severity of a shock depends on many things such as body impedance, frequency, the current path and the duration of the shock.  The risk of ventricular fibrillation increases with frequency (so AC is more dangerous than DC), body current and duration.  However body impedance is non-linear, so it decreases significantly with an increase in voltage, so from that angle it is actually the voltage which is more the dominant factor.  AS 60479.1 has a heap of information on this.

Anyways, a statement such as 'it isn't the volts that kill, it's the current' is incorrect.  But don't take my word for it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »
Another big can of worms.....but any voltage above 50 to 60V ac is considered dangerous to your health. ( ie; may kill you )

As implied, lots of other factors involved.........and why I didn't want to open the can of worms !!   8) 8)
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2018, 03:14:59 AM »
Without the voltage, you won't have the current. You can grab hold of the leads from a welding power supply that's capable of pumping over 500A (think of 90mmsq cables running hot from the current) through a load, and you probably won't even feel it, because it's only outputting about 45VDC. I know that for a fact... actually I did feel a bit of a tingle, because my hands were a bit sweaty. Skin resistance is probably the biggest factor limiting the current through your body. Current path through the body, and the amount of current are the biggest factors determining whether it's just a bite, or stops you in your tracks. And yes, AC hurts more than DC.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
Electricity KILLS. Not many get second chances!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »
Electricity KILLS. Not many get second chances!
Then why dont they ban it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »

No need to ban it when your smoked and dead!  :D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
Been hit twice working on 240v in France.... I was told that it was off, checked it was off as well... sometimes in France though it's reverse polarity... I think those were reverse polarity....

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
Been hit twice working on 240v in France.... I was told that it was off, checked it was off as well... sometimes in France though it's reverse polarity... I think those were reverse polarity....
Se he's scrambled, brain like eggs now. ;D ;D  :cheers:

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »

Cos they make a squillion selling it.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
Cos they make a squillion selling it.
Your not suggesting our government would put profit before our wellbeing are you?   ...Oh hang on cigarettes, what was i thinking

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2018, 03:25:18 AM »
The guys at the trade counter have quite a bit of say on what the final price is.  In my experience if they think you are a DIY guy then you won't be getting the good price - and why should you, as you are just undercutting all the tradies out there.  I don't work in the trade anymore but I still maintain my licences, which come in handy when buying stuff wholesale.

So many things wrong there.  The severity of a shock depends on many things such as body impedance, frequency, the current path and the duration of the shock.  The risk of ventricular fibrillation increases with frequency (so AC is more dangerous than DC), body current and duration.  However body impedance is non-linear, so it decreases significantly with an increase in voltage, so from that angle it is actually the voltage which is more the dominant factor.  AS 60479.1 has a heap of information on this.

Anyways, a statement such as 'it isn't the volts that kill, it's the current' is incorrect.  But don't take my word for it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg

I apologise. My statement was incorrect and very broad.

Yes there are many factors. Including skin density and conductivity etc.

The figures that I put in were what is required to pass through you heart to cause issues.

Also as said you need voltage as well.

Plus great video. I think I will subscribe to his channel. 
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE