Author Topic: Vans and Campers tax Deductible Assets  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Vans and Campers tax Deductible Assets
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
Came across this article in regards to vans, CTs etc can be tax deductible assets. It basically involves listing them for hire (Camplify was the org being interviewed) and it doesn't matter if they are actually hired out or not just if they are listed as available.

Obviously comes with the usual risks of hiring but i found it interesting as it appears to be the same tax benefits as owning an investment home ie: lease interest, insurances, maintenance, storage costs etc.

The usual statement applies with this. I have no interest of any sort in Camplify or any other hire organisation but thought it may be of interest to some out there. Also obviously people need to seek their own financial / tax advice

http://campertrailerreview.com.au/make-camper-trailer-tax-deductible/?utm_source=Win+A+Blue+Tongue+Camper&utm_campaign=b3ba3697c2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_07_18_07_14_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_85d0b17e6d-b3ba3697c2-137207193

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Vans and Campers tax Deductible Assets
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
Had a camper trailer salesman suggest to me once that instead of writing "model XYZ camper trailer" on the invoice, he could write "mobile site office" instead.

Anyone know a good accountant  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
Yeah? Try getting it past the ATO......let us know how you go....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »
At the Brisbane show a number of salesman were saying this to my wife and I so they are using it as a tactic to sell vans for sure.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
In reality you can claim anything. I've heard some very dodgy stuff at work that some accountants have claimed.  It is only when you get audited is when it is certain.

Can't see "hiring your camper"  passing an audit without any actual hiring being done. I reckon you might be able to claim a percentage of hire vs rental use.
Otherwise I might "rent" my house,  car .....
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Came across this article in regards to vans, CTs etc can be tax deductible assets. It basically involves listing them for hire (Camplify was the org being interviewed) and it doesn't matter if they are actually hired out or not just if they are listed as available.

Obviously comes with the usual risks of hiring but i found it interesting as it appears to be the same tax benefits as owning an investment home ie: lease interest, insurances, maintenance, storage costs etc.

The usual statement applies with this. I have no interest of any sort in Camplify or any other hire organisation but thought it may be of interest to some out there. Also obviously people need to seek their own financial / tax advice

http://campertrailerreview.com.au/make-camper-trailer-tax-deductible/?utm_source=Win+A+Blue+Tongue+Camper&utm_campaign=b3ba3697c2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_07_18_07_14_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_85d0b17e6d-b3ba3697c2-137207193

Yeah right... by the time your register your hire business, take out extra insurance for the van and add in an hourly rate for your time to maintain all of this your tax break is out the window
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Didnt someone here claim theirs years ago as a mobile office? There was a well thought out thread on it at the time
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
I’d imagine (and am no tax genius ) that if you were running a business from your van as you traveled around you’d be able to claim a portion like you can a home office ? Personally like home offices don’t think it’d be worth it .
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
You can do it, relatively easily if you and van are traveling from town to town doing paid income...

Fruit picking; repairs and maintenance services; sign writing; etc etc... 

Or selling at local markets or carnivals, etc - provided you have records of stock purchases and sales...   (supplier invoices and bank deposits) ...  matching the time and geographic location you are in - for cash deposits and mobile eftpos sales, I would reckon..

As well as - you have to be traveling in a circle, moving on to the next destination - not backtracking, or going home in between "holidays"..

It would be best if your tug had paid registration as a commercial vehicle; and your van was insured for commercial use.....   Both these things cost more pa to do....

Note - I am not an accountant or whatever; the the above does not constitute advice whatsoever..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »
Yeah right... by the time your register your hire business, take out extra insurance for the van and add in an hourly rate for your time to maintain all of this your tax break is out the window

Mate you are possibly right. As said only heard it through the article and the link so who knows for sure. They did say though that if it is just the one then you don't need to be registered as a business. Everything they said appeared to align with what occurs with an investment property and you don't have to have a tenant there to be classed as an investment.

Anyway as said everyone needs to get their own advice and go from there if they proceed. Still an interesting concept though ;D

Wonder if I could do this with some of my self managed super fund  >:D

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
Without reading the article I would hazard a guess that the people promoting this are either trying to sell camper trailers or are accountants looking to set up the structure that will facilitate the process or both.

Reminds me of the real estate "investment plans" where the advisor, the real estate agent, the vendor, the mortgage broker,  the settlement agent/solicitor etc are all working out of the same office.   

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »

Reminds me of the real estate "investment plans" where the advisor, the real estate agent, the vendor, the mortgage broker,  the settlement agent/solicitor etc are all working out of the same office.   

I used to love crashing those guys sales when I was a valuer for the banks.

Theres been a more than a few "investors" caught out by not renting out their holiday homes even though their advertised on AirBnB, the local agent etc etc. I wouldn't think it would take the ATO more than 3 seconds to catch onto that little scam.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
Mate you are possibly right. As said only heard it through the article and the link so who knows for sure. They did say though that if it is just the one then you don't need to be registered as a business. Everything they said appeared to align with what occurs with an investment property and you don't have to have a tenant there to be classed as an investment.

Anyway as said everyone needs to get their own advice and go from there if they proceed. Still an interesting concept though ;D

Wonder if I could do this with some of my self managed super fund >:D

You'd do better to get someone to manage your super fund for you... LOL
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
You'd do better to get someone to manage your super fund for you... LOL

Dont even get me started on people buying depreciating assets as part of self managed super funds or houses that they let their kids live in rent free and then just rely on the capital gains at the end
I Drink & I Know Things