Author Topic: Coromal Seka 535 Pioneer XC or a Coromal Pioneer Corvair PC545 ? ....  (Read 4317 times)

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
Has anyone had or still have a Coromal Seka van at all ? ... looking for opinions on what they are like .

Looking around for basically this style , low height with pop-top for ventilation when camping , 18ft so still sort of short enough but with the rear cut away will help , somewhere to wedge a 13 year old weed that wont stop growing .

Chasing something like this , I know its an older van , but not liking all thew chinese import stuff at all .

Cheers Jim
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:13:35 AM by rockman »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Coromal Seka 535 Pioneer XC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:02:48 PM »
Yea I like that style too.. We looked at a few couple of yrs ago.. really nice bit of kit even for the age we were lookin, early mid 00's

Didnt end up with anything though.. Be interested to hear from others.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:09:13 PM »
We've got a 1991 Seka 19' poptop  not a offroad version though. Was  single beds but previous owner modified to to a lift up king size.
its a bit rough around the edges but it does us. Been over most of  WA behind a 120 Prado. North as far as Fitzroy crossing and all down south and Esperance and through goldfields.
It handles good dirt roads but as its not the offroad model  so not a lot of clearance and only 14" wheels.
The independant suspension works really well  hardly know its behind when towing. Aluminium frame so even though its had a few leaks in its time, not now though fixed them, no problems with wood rot. Fitted 300w solar on roof no problem and 320Ahr of agm's under what was the seat.

The offroad versions have a longer length on the arms for the independant suspension and 45mm axle stubs instead of the 40mm mine has.

Check out the Coromal owners group on face book. Lots of info there and the admin is a previous Coromal service guy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:13:43 PM by sparksy »
The following users thanked this post: rockman

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 02:53:13 AM »
We currently have a Seka 475. Had it for a few years now. Prior to that we had a Chesney fibreglass kamper. very much modified with solar panels and 600a/h batteries. The whole camper had been fitted to a full prestressed chassis with off road suspension and 12 inch brakes riding on 31x15 tires. We do travel out west Queensland (mainly) opal fossicking. But the time (and age) made us decide to go with a caravan. No more setting up canvas and awnings. (similar to a Jayco style.
So we started to make a list of what we required in a van. First being an aluminum frame. Pop top. Good quality build, plenty of storage, and something that we could convert to what we needed for out life style which was in the main living off the grid. And most important was relatively light but well built. Not being in any particular hurry and having an engineering background, we looked at many makes, types and layouts and we came to the conclusion that an early manufactured Coromal Seka was the ideal van for us.. We looked at vans on all markets, even to the point of flying down to Melbourne to inspect 3 vans. The conclusion that we came to is that a Seka should be a build up to around 1997 or maybe a bit later when the original family owned the company.

We eventually purchased a van here in Brisbane that had come from the Northern rivers area. And we have never looked back. We have done quite a few trips out west and even on gravel roads (driven accordingly) and not one problem. It currently does have the 45mm axle and the heavier springs. Additions wise, we have installed a complete 12 volt wiring system including inside and outside LED lighting. We haven't changed the 240volt wiring except to install a better RCD unit and a couple of extra GPO's. To drive things like an on board smart charger and a portable air con unit. The 12 volt system is driven by 4 200watt solar panels broken up into two separate arrays with feed through the separate regulators that in turn charge two 150A/h batteries. We also built an onboard air lift system that raises and lowers the roof with a flick of a switch. Also a diesel heater. In all the traveling, we have not had one thing brake on come adrift. The van is very dust proof and we used the roof top pressure hatch all the time except of extremely dusty roads.

One thing to look for is that even though the frames are welded aluminum, not all vans are insulated other then the roof. Also, soon after we got it, we pressured cleaned the whole underneath and sprayed 4 coats of boncrete.. That will stop any water absorption in the floor.

Towing wise, the van can be balanced out perfectly with a ball weight of 130Kg. We tow it with a early Toyota Hilux (diesel but not the Toyota diesel engine though) and sit on the highway speed quite comfortably. Out west we sit on between 100 and 120Kph and the van sits like a brick. Although I would like to see it have a longer draw bar length as it can get a bit twitchy on lose  gravel roads on station roads. We are currently building a complete heavy duty chassis with longer draw bar and that will improve the tracking a hell of a lot better again. (also give us room to mount a small generator and hot water system to the A frame. Cant really give you fuel use figures as our engine uses 14lt/100 loaded or empty. Usually we have around 1/2 tonne in the back of the ute when traveling.

So, all in all, we think its great. It does every thing we need and there is NO water leaks.....
Puff
The following users thanked this post: rockman

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
Re: Coromal Seka 535 Pioneer XC or a Coromal Pioneer Corvair PC545 ? ....
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:42:29 PM »
We have the offroad Pioneer 541, its a really solid little van, 18.5 feet long, pop top, its done  a few outback adventures, and has worked for us. Cons, not alot of free weight on the specs, small water tank for an off road van, double bed aint big enough....needs a queen, but cabinet work doesnt allow that without serious mods.

Our model is allegedly "fully insulated", the independant leaf spring set up is good, but a bit noisy on uneven terrain, makes a few clangs and bangs.

cheers

Greg
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline Nifty1

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »
Well, I almost wish I needed a new van after reading Puff’s post! One of the most useful and coherent contributions ever.
Tvan + Terracan
Hilux Adventure Camper
1999 Outback Sturt - an oldie but a goodie. Updated of course (passed on within family)

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
Well, I almost wish I needed a new van after reading Puff’s post! One of the most useful and coherent contributions ever.

Well, Thanks Nifty 1.. I try.. ;D
Puff