Author Topic: What to get?  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
What to get?
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
Hi guys,
We are looking to replace our customline adventure offroad which unfortunately was stolen by some scumbag a few month ago. It was a great camper and had the 12 ft tent which gave us enough room for our four kids in bunks who are 10yo and under. Thankfully we had it insured and we are trying to make lemonade out of these lemons by using it as an excuse to upgrade. I am a firm believer in supporting aussie industry in all its forms and I also want a rugged, well made camper so I am looking for something that fits those criteria. The most important thing for us is for it to have a very quick easy setup. We do many trips that involve one or two night stays so we want to be able to have the tent up and the annex roof up as quick as possible. I am not fussed if it takes a bit longer for annex wall, extra rooms etc. We also want all the kids in the tent, not in the annex or other rooms. Therefore we are looking for a 12ft tent or a walk up camper we think. We are looking in the $8-13k range. All other features like power, kitchens etc are probably a second priority as we only need essentials for these to do what we need to do.

I have looked through the Australian manufactured camper trailer website and used the the applicable makes for my searches, but are there others out there that I should be considering? I know there are ones like customline and tambo that I think used to be on there but aren’t now so they are the ones I am hoping you can help me with.

Brands/models that I like at the moment
Mountain trail- first choice at the moment as they look good, are still in business and are reasonably close to me.
Customline- We loved ours so it seems an obvious choice to do a straight changeover
Trackabout - I have seen them at shows and they look impressive

There are many others out there I know, so hopefully you can shed some light on which to choose and what to avoid. We use a 4.2td patrol to tow it. We like 4wding with it but not extreme stuff like rock crawling.

Thanks very much

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: What to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
If you can get away with a 9ft tent this would be a steal if it’s still available.

2013 Customline Deluxe Offroad
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=54922&share_tid=55500&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyswag%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D55500&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Hi guys,
We are looking to replace our customline adventure offroad which unfortunately was stolen by some scumbag a few month ago. It was a great camper and had the 12 ft tent which gave us enough room for our four kids in bunks who are 10yo and under. Thankfully we had it insured and we are trying to make lemonade out of these lemons by using it as an excuse to upgrade. I am a firm believer in supporting aussie industry in all its forms and I also want a rugged, well made camper so I am looking for something that fits those criteria. The most important thing for us is for it to have a very quick easy setup. We do many trips that involve one or two night stays so we want to be able to have the tent up and the annex roof up as quick as possible. I am not fussed if it takes a bit longer for annex wall, extra rooms etc. We also want all the kids in the tent, not in the annex or other rooms. Therefore we are looking for a 12ft tent or a walk up camper we think. We are looking in the $8-13k range. All other features like power, kitchens etc are probably a second priority as we only need essentials for these to do what we need to do.

I have looked through the Australian manufactured camper trailer website and used the the applicable makes for my searches, but are there others out there that I should be considering? I know there are ones like customline and tambo that I think used to be on there but aren’t now so they are the ones I am hoping you can help me with.

Brands/models that I like at the moment
Mountain trail- first choice at the moment as they look good, are still in business and are reasonably close to me.
Customline- We loved ours so it seems an obvious choice to do a straight changeover
Trackabout - I have seen them at shows and they look impressive

There are many others out there I know, so hopefully you can shed some light on which to choose and what to avoid. We use a 4.2td patrol to tow it. We like 4wding with it but not extreme stuff like rock crawling.

Thanks very much

Are you looking at new or secondhand? If new, there aren't many Australian built soft floor manufacturers left.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »
If you can get away with a 9ft tent this would be a steal if it’s still available.

2013 Customline Deluxe Offroad
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=54922&share_tid=55500&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyswag%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D55500&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat me to it, a real bargain.

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
I dd look at that one and whilst we probably could fit into it, I’m not sure I want to. I would rather just go bigger for now till the kids are a bit older. Thanks though.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
I know of a great aussie built trailer, Lifestyle Explorer Plus 12ft tent with awning, and tropical roof + spare
Lots of goodies, queen size inner spring mattress, fold away steps to get into bed 2x 120ah Full River batteries, Projecta battery charger mounted inside, full electrics with isolator in electrical box on passenger side, LED's in the tent with switches and dimmers, large toolbox on front with power for fridge, solar, kitchen 4 burner stove with quick fit bayonet fitting for real fast setup, water pump, 80ltr tank(from memory), running 285 Dick Cepek AT's on patrol rims with full size spare.
easily currently towed by a 4.2 GU Patrol
Located in SE Melbourne :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:20:11 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:40:32 PM »
Yes, looking for second hand.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 12:43:14 AM »
Yes, looking for second hand.

Then this bit isn't really applicable if you are buying second hand, it's not like they make it twice.

I am a firm believer in supporting aussie industry in all its forms

Still might be the right choice for reputation & quality though.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 06:22:19 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471523463164896/permalink/2206242873026281/

This bloke is talking $12k. If so it is a steal. These were all fully manufactured in Brisbane and the base is shared with the other Brisbane based brands you mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:36:22 AM by GBC »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
Not the 12 foot tent but a custom Customline and happy to do a deal.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55500
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 09:44:42 AM »
Then this bit isn't really applicable if you are buying second hand, it's not like they make it twice.

It definitely is applicable. Any repairs will go back to the manufacturer, all supplies and labour will come from Australian sources. And if everyone bought secondhand Australian trailers, the chinese imports would be less prevalent and more Aussie trailers companies would still be in business.

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
Not the 12 foot tent but a custom Customline and happy to do a deal.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55500

Yours looks like a really nice setup D4D, but unfortunately a 9’ tent is just a bit small for me.

Offline isportfish

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
I am  biased so I'll suggest a Trak Shak. Is a couple  of more modern units showing on gumtr** but you will have to travel. Not many showing elsewhere for sale.
2014 PC Challenger
2009 Trak Shak Majestic

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
How long to set up your trak shak? I get nervous about them because they are so unfamiliar to me. Have you found anything you don’t like about them?

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »
Also I can’t seem to open some of the links that you are all sharing for some reason.

Offline isportfish

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »
How long to set up your trak shak? I get nervous about them because they are so unfamiliar to me. Have you found anything you don’t like about them?

I guess it depends on your needs and everyone's are different. We mainly use ours around Vic High Country and Gipplsand coast so we set it up well to be prepared for wind/rain. Is just using all the supplied poles and pegs. Our stays are generally around 4 days+ so we unpack most of our gear(ie camp furniture, kitchen, fridges, bbq, bikes, kayaks etc) and unhook the car. The tent part (including living space/awning) takes around 30 mins to set up including beds and carpet. The kitchen(set up under awning) & camp furniture takes another 30. So about 60 all up and pretty comfortable.

We have set the tent and beds not including kitchen & furniture in about 20 before for a one night stay. Pack up to go home add about 50% more time as you are cleaning everything as you go. Be shorter if moving place to place.

Best things about it-Is so compact folded up/short wheelbase and easy to store, 2 x queen beds off the ground(best sleep we get is in our TS), tent(space, sleeps heaps bodies and can hide inside when weather is poor), rugged, versatile, adaptive, low ball weight, go anywhere, swallows heaps gear and can carry bikes/kayaks/boat/solar panels etc.

Worst things-No fun packing it up wet, pack up time if everything out is about 90mins+/-. Is a challenge to pack it up on my own(all times quoted here is my wife and I contributing). Ability to take so much gear so you do. Wind can catch tent when blowing a gale. Having to go home!.

2014 PC Challenger
2009 Trak Shak Majestic

Offline Fourboys

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
Thanks isportfish, that’s good info