Author Topic: battery replacement units  (Read 3795 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
battery replacement units
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »
Greettings and salutations Ohh exhalted all knowledgable brains trust ..
I an looking at replacing the D Cell batteries in our shower unit, I seem to recall that some Swaggers had fitted  a battery  sized unit that fitted in like a couple of batteries and was fed from a 12V supply [ Obviously it stepped the voltage down ] ..
Searched  the Forum / Jaycar / trolled the internet and Ebay but have drawn a big Zero, can only find units that fit AA or AAA batteries into the larger battery cases ... Does anyone know what they are called / where to buy such a unit ... TIA .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: battery replacement units
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:48:31 PM »
ive sold a feq of these to customers doing the same.
lets yo delect between 5,6,9 and 12v, that was on a coleman that had an old 9v battery, how many dcells are in your unit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
Only two D cells ,,

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
so 3v um.. this should do; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-DC-DC-12V-to-3V-3A-15W-Car-Power-Adapter-Converter-Step-Down-Supply-/202310274958
3 amp should be ample but checking would be a good idea, im assuming you want it to be plugged in to a cig plug permanently? just a case of screwing it into the spot removing the old battery contacts joining the wires to the output wires and putting a 2.1mm panel mount dc jack on the case.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:30:34 PM by Weller »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
It is the downfall of these units, relying on the 2 batteries. Would make so much more scenes if it relied on 12 volt as you need 12 volt for pump anyway.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
  Hi Edz

I fitted one of these , works a treat . never had any problems with the water heater turning on .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1X-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-12V-to-3-3V-3A-10W-Car-Step-Down-Power-Module-DCCON-X5W2-/302940725722?hash=item4688aca1da

I wired this into the unit and screwed/wired an anderson plug to the out side , I run a lead from the camptrailer to the heater .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:04:04 PM by duggie »
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
Thanks Duggie, was just being lazy is all, Yep its looking like I'll get a voltage converter . From memory I think  Jaycar had an adjustable voltage unit for about $10 .

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Thanks Duggie, was just being lazy is all, Yep its looking like I'll get a voltage converter . From memory I think  Jaycar had an adjustable voltage unit for about $10 .

I know many on here like to support the Australian/local retailer but just a heads up that I don't think Jaycar deserve that loyalty, I am not saying you shouldn't buy there if you want to, but am saying I wouldn't pay any extra to them to "support  the local Australian company" https://youtu.be/SW8K9D9u5aI
The following users thanked this post: db, edz

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
rather then look at the company as a whole or their sourcing practices, have a look at the people they employ; each store has around 9 staff working rosters paid above award rates, rather then remove stores that aren't doing so well or lowering rates/staff in those stores jaycar levels out between stores (something that cant be said for the likes of woolworths and coles) on the flipside in radlemere nsw (sp?)
they employ up to 600 people for picking and processing their orders, jaycar also support small business through their "authorised retailer" system. if you wont stand with them for their sourcing practices at least look at the poor sobs like me who work for them.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »
rather then look at the company as a whole or their sourcing practices, have a look at the people they employ; each store has around 9 staff working rosters paid above award rates, rather then remove stores that aren't doing so well or lowering rates/staff in those stores jaycar levels out between stores (something that cant be said for the likes of woolworths and coles) on the flipside in radlemere nsw (sp?)
they employ up to 600 people for picking and processing their orders, jaycar also support small business through their "authorised retailer" system. if you wont stand with them for their sourcing practices at least look at the poor sobs like me who work for them.

Well said Weller, it is easy to jump on a company for their practices and sourcing policies, sometimes with little awareness of the difficulties which can be associated with sourcing and supply chain logistic, timeframes involved, cost pressures etc. I for one enjoy the service I get at my local Jaycar store when I have the need to shop there.
Cheers
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
at least look at the poor sobs like me who work for them.

MySwag discount ??? ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

KingBilly

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
I know many on here like to support the Australian/local retailer but just a heads up that I don't think Jaycar deserve that loyalty, I am not saying you shouldn't buy there if you want to, but am saying I wouldn't pay any extra to them to "support  the local Australian company" https://youtu.be/SW8K9D9u5aI

Umm, how is that any different to what happens with every other product?  Automobiles are copied, caravans are copied, whitegoods are copied, phones are copied, everything is copied, if not by China, then by India.

From what I saw, that guy didn’t invent anything.  He just packaged a bunch of stuff together in a fancy box which his mate designed and wrote a basic user guide that anybody could find on the internet.  Did he have a patent on his product?  Did he have copyright on his manual/instruction book?  If he didn’t then he doesn’t have the right to whinge.  It is not like he spent money on research and development of a unique product.

So how many Aussies does the whinger employ? How many bricks and mortar stores does this whinger lease or own?  How much tax does this whinger pay to support the Australian economy?

KB

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
Umm, how is that any different to what happens with every other product?  Automobiles are copied, caravans are copied, whitegoods are copied, phones are copied, everything is copied, if not by China, then by India.

From what I saw, that guy didn’t invent anything.  He just packaged a bunch of stuff together in a fancy box which his mate designed and wrote a basic user guide that anybody could find on the internet.  Did he have a patent on his product?  Did he have copyright on his manual/instruction book?  If he didn’t then he doesn’t have the right to whinge.  It is not like he spent money on research and development of a unique product.

So how many Aussies does the whinger employ? How many bricks and mortar stores does this whinger lease or own?  How much tax does this whinger pay to support the Australian economy?

KB

You might think that someone blatantly copying something a supplier has developed to then undercut them is OK just because he didn't copyright it, Jaycar might be legally OK, but ethically is a different question and will vary from person to person.

I am not against using them if you value thier customer service, convince of being able to grab something straight away as opposed to waiting for it  in the mail, or because they employ local staff (although squeeze out local suppliers). But like I said I wouldn't show loyalty to an Australian company for being Australian when they don't do the same for their suppliers.

And how is it different? give me one example of a seller who has so blatantly copied something that a supplier has been supplying to cut them out, and you can reduce everything if you want too a sum of it's parts.

If there was no value in what he had developed, then why did Jaycar copy it?

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
Just a little list
original-store-blatant copy
hills-bunnings-sunfresh
century-repco-repco
century-SCA-SCA
pope-mitre10-neta
absco-bunnings-easyshed

the lost of companies who have lost out to bigger companies sourcing the same product at cost with a little name change is huge pretending that it is more then smart business is absurd.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »
Just a little list
hills-bunnings-sunfresh
century-repco-repco
century-SCA-SCA
pope-mitre10-neta
absco-bunnings-easyshed

the lost of companies who have lost out to bigger companies sourcing the same product at cost with a little name change is huge pretending that it is more then smart business is absurd.

Your right Weller, the big business's see a small business has a good idea and they just take it. I buy quite a bit of stuff off Jaycar but I buy all my Arduino gear from Freetronics, always have, always will (at least until he is put out of business), why, because of the support and service he offers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »
Just a little list
hills-bunnings-sunfresh
century-repco-repco
century-SCA-SCA
pope-mitre10-neta
absco-bunnings-easyshed

Show me identical products, not vague product lines!

edit There is a difference between offering a house branded similar product and a total ripoff of the original

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:25:20 PM by tryagain »

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
uhm.

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
i get vuscuits probably isnt substansial enough evidence but they're a blatant ripoff down to the kingstons. (which are better then Monte Carlo's)(because this thread needs anpther pointless drift, I'd bet you're a monte Carlos kinda guy?)

Offline Weller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
Honestly ive probably missed the point you were trying to make,; If you won't shop at jaycar because of what techbrands done along the supply line, that's up to you. but imho sourcing a product "unethically" isnt enough to taint the good that they do, nor is it worth dragging them through the mud in a forum post. But aa they say an opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

also 2 things i need to clarify:
I don't work for jaycar, I said i did as a way of shortening a post; I work for an authorised stockist (same same but different)
repco and sca both sold australian made century batteries until swaping to chinese made identical units, i believe that should count as ripping off an australian suppliers product to make a buck.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
I get biscuits probably isn't substantial enough evidence but they're a blatant ripoff down to the Kingstons. (which are better than Monte Carlo's)(because this thread needs another pointless drift, I'd bet you're a monte Carlos kinda guy?)

Yeah, that's a blatant copy, kind of expect that from the massive corporates though, and at least they are screwing another corporate. This would kind of be the equivalent to the outcry of Coles/Woolworths screwing over the farmers, big business vs big business to me is kind of expected, but when you screw over the little guy is when it seems more personal and not OK from my perspective.

And for the record, Kingstons just above Monte Carlos, unless it's my mums homemade Monte Carlo's then it's hers by a country mile!

Honestly ive probably missed the point you were trying to make,; If you won't shop at jaycar because of what techbrands done along the supply line, that's up to you. but imho sourcing a product "unethically" isnt enough to taint the good that they do, nor is it worth dragging them through the mud in a forum post. But aa they say an opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

I generally don't shop at Jaycar due to the prices (associated with providing a service I don't require) I do on occasion when I don't want to wait for something in the mail. I have no major issues in shopping there, but I also have no issues sourcing things cheaper elsewhere from overseas as they obviously don't, if pointing out what happened equates to dragging them through the mud then that is probably a reflection of their actions more than me shedding light on it.

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
All of these post about Jaycar started after I posted up an item that I bought from ebay and edz mentioned that  Jaycar may have had an adjustable voltage unit .

I have bought some stuff from Jaycar , but for me I normally buy from the internet ( Ebay ).

Not because I don't support Australian made/sold goods .

Not because I can buy cheaper .

But because most of these appliance/parts stores are in Cairns - over 100km away from my home and I do not venture that often down to Cairns and when I do it is for a purpose other than spending hours trying to find a store that is selling what I want .

If the likes of Jaycar were to sell their item on the Ebay style sites for a compatible price as over seas sellers I would buy their item , but this is not the case .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson