Author Topic: Rules on towing mirrors  (Read 8272 times)

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Rules on towing mirrors
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »
most are not.. most are connected to the radio/stereo inc a few people here who have asked how to set em up there.

Then you have the bloke in our club with a 10inch Samsung tablet in center of windscreen, who sees nothing (literally) wrong with it... waiting for 5-0 to discuss that one with him.

Most sat navs are in the radio/stereo and that's OK? - and probably a bigger distraction than a rear view screen.
As for the bloke with the 10" tablet, well I agree.
But what I have done is better than mirrors and less of a distraction. Just a quick glance and you know whats up your clakker and the normal side mirrors show what's along side. If I thought for one minute it compromised safety when towing it would be removed.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
I have a lifted 200 Series with 33's and two spares on the back. In spite of having proper towing mirrors if there is a Camry or something smaller right behind me in the traffic, I can't see it. So I have a full time reversing camera, which I can turn off at night. It's a big help and a valuable safety item.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
Hi,
   I have 2 cameras switchable from 1 screen.
1. Mounted near towball, sees too much sky, sees too much road dust at night (IR lights built in).
2. Mounted in rear window of camper, viewing way too wide to be useful as rear view camera, but the close distance perspective is better.

The screen is way too bright at night, out shines the Defender's headlights, so it gets turned off at night.

The ideal camera would have a viewing angle of 90 degrees, be mounted high on the rear of the camper, angled to have the horizon at the top of the screen and the screen be dead black at night and NO infra red lights.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I have bought some and they work well, mite just sika flex them on just to make them harder to steel, Craig

I also saw something a while back (may have even been on here ???), that, by THE book, you're not supposed to have towing mirrors fitted if you're not towing at that moment eg arrive at camp & unhook the van, take the mirrors off to drive into town, put them back on next morning to head for your next camp, rinse & repeat every day ...  :'( ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
This is my understanding, for QLD at least, and is the reason that I feel Clearview and the like extendable mirrors are a practical solution, in spite of the cost🤑
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »
At least in Qld you can have a rear view camera on the back of the van :D, but it can't be your primary source of vision - you've still got to have mirrors ::)

Yep, because the camera won't be able to see down the side of your van, which is the legal requirement.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 05:25:06 PM »
Most sat navs are in the radio/stereo and that's OK? - and probably a bigger distraction than a rear view screen.
As for the bloke with the 10" tablet, well I agree.
But what I have done is better than mirrors and less of a distraction. Just a quick glance and you know whats up your clakker and the normal side mirrors show what's along side. If I thought for one minute it compromised safety when towing it would be removed.

That's the problem, with most vans, your normal mirrors don't show what's sitting alongside the back corner of your van. That's why you need the mirrors. My normal mirrors used to only be able to see the front of the van and bugger all else.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
These work well

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
I bought some cheap eBay clear new style mirrors, $279 delivered for the pair. They look massive but in reality only stick out 50mm more each side compared to the standard mirrors. Makes reversing and towing much more easier, losing the electric fold in is a nuisance off-road but is the only disadvantage for me (looks and wind noise could be considered major disadvantages to some).
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
That's the problem, with most vans, your normal mirrors don't show what's sitting alongside the back corner of your van. That's why you need the mirrors. My normal mirrors used to only be able to see the front of the van and bugger all else.

I can see quite well down the side of the van with the vehicle mirrors and coupled with the camera have a better knowledge of what's behind and beside the rig than I did with extension mirrors. Needless to say I still fit the extension mirrors to stay legal but don't take much notice of them.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
I know this is the superseded version, but this gives you an idea as to the field of vision you need to have from your side mirrors:
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02663

Screen snip in the attachment

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »
I can see quite well down the side of the van with the vehicle mirrors and coupled with the camera have a better knowledge of what's behind and beside the rig than I did with extension mirrors. Needless to say I still fit the extension mirrors to stay legal but don't take much notice of them.

So you have the 13 foot Starcraft (the narrowest), with a max width of 2166mm excluding the awning. Towing with the 06 Troopy? And the distance between the outer edges of your mirrors are 2050mm max? Not taking into account that they aren't mounted on the extreme outside dimensions, so they would actually be a bit less. You're doing well then, with the van 116mm wider than the outer edges of your mirrors.

Even with my slightly wider mirrors (2150 max, to the outer edges) I know I can't see down the full length of my van, which is 2280mm, by a long chalk, hence the addition of my towing extensions. my van is 130mm wider than the outside of my mirrors.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 02:14:21 PM »
So you have the 13 foot Starcraft (the narrowest), with a max width of 2166mm excluding the awning. Towing with the 06 Troopy? And the distance between the outer edges of your mirrors are 2050mm max? Not taking into account that they aren't mounted on the extreme outside dimensions, so they would actually be a bit less. You're doing well then, with the van 116mm wider than the outer edges of your mirrors.

Even with my slightly wider mirrors (2150 max, to the outer edges) I know I can't see down the full length of my van, which is 2280mm, by a long chalk, hence the addition of my towing extensions. my van is 130mm wider than the outside of my mirrors.

Whatever!

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
These work well
Troopy 03 what brand were these?

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
Troopy 03 what brand were these?

They were made from a set of Toyota 79 series mirrors, new off Gumtree, and a second set of Oras $8.00 at a garage sale.

The bows have been shortened to try and keep within (close to) ADRs. 4mm X 30mm X 30mm angle for the mounting brackets.

See here: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54863.msg963144#msg963144

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »
Thanks, I think I will have to do something along those lines as well. :cheers: