Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 688010 times)

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1825 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
Is there any difference in speed regarding lower kv motors? I don't really want to lose any outright speed if I can help it.

I did look at emax but I couldn't find a motors with the right specs. Their website isn't the best, unless you guys know of another site to use?

I'm was mainly looking at the same kv because I have a metric Sh!t load of 9" gemfan slow fly props and also some carbon e style ones on the way. Although the gemfans aren't really much good for any sort of hard flying - I had one fail the other day at full throttle. I should have known better as I had just been reading that they can't handle high RPMs and sure enough one blew apart. They seem to be ok for just cruising around though.

I checked the other 2 and one of them had fatigue in it as well.

I've been flying a heap over the last 3 weeks so I was getting a lot more confident both in my abilities and also the tri. It's been really good to have a good run of probably 30 batteries through it without any crashes or failures - up until now  ::)! I've been flying in a bit of wind too and handling it ok. I was really shy of any wind to start with but a lot more confident now.

I am planning to run FPV once I can afford it but at the moment I'm just LOS with no camera and I'm not planning on using any gimbals or doing much video work (other than just general flying) so I was going to stick with what was working for me but if you guys reckon a lower kv is the go maybe I should look at that?

I was actually looking at maybe going higher but only thinking about it. I'm running 4s too.
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Marschy

« Reply #1826 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
Is there any difference in speed regarding lower kv motors? I don't really want to lose any outright speed if I can help it.

I did look at emax but I couldn't find a motors with the right specs. Their website isn't the best, unless you guys know of another site to use?

I'm was mainly looking at the same kv because I have a metric Sh!t load of 9" gemfan slow fly props and also some carbon e style ones on the way. Although the gemfans aren't really much good for any sort of hard flying - I had one fail the other day at full throttle. I should have known better as I had just been reading that they can't handle high RPMs and sure enough one blew apart. They seem to be ok for just cruising around though.

I've been flying a heap over the last 3 weeks so I was getting a lot more confident both in my abilities and also the tri. It's been really good to have a good run of probably 30 batteries through it without any crashes or failures - up until now  ::)! I've been flying in a bit of wind too and handling it ok. I was really shy of any wind to start with but a lot more confident now.

I am planning to run FPV once I can afford it but at the moment I'm just LOS with no camera and I'm not planning on using any gimbals or doing much video work (other than just general flying) so I was going to stick with what was working for me but if you guys reckon a lower kv is the go maybe I should look at that?

I was actually looking at maybe going higher but only thinking about it. I'm running 4s too.
Hello Spartan,

It's not the RPM you should worry about, its the thrust. If you are going to get into FPV, this means adding more weight to your tricopter. As an example the 3515 Emax's Chris has just purchased produce 2.8 kg's of thrust. When you add in the other 2 motors you have a lift capability of 8.4 kg. If you are only pushing around 2 kg's with appropriately sized props, you will still get a fast tri-copter, but as you add your FPV gear and larger batteries you are going to need the thrust.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1827 on: April 13, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Couple of good things today -

One I fixed the F450 failsafe problem thanks to Chris for interpretting the logfile - I'm still not happy with the throttle response its still VERY VERY strange there's a delay of seconds before
it goes up and or down - I'll check this better in an open paddock tomorrow if the wind stays away ..

Two - the flickering on my Phantom OSD appears to have been a loose pin in the transmitter power lead - So I removed it and put in a balance plug and it seems to be OK now - A flight test
will prove it - I also changed frequencies before I flicked the power lead and saw the transmitter LEDs go out !!

So a bit happier today --

Something I found out he other day - The fold down GPS stalks have a 3mm threaded screw hole in the base - So my Phantoms now have the antenna bases screwed to the top canopy/lid
of the body shell - A bit neater than the 3M tape I used before ...

OK back to beer o'clock now ..

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1828 on: April 13, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
Hello Spartan,

It's not the RPM you should worry about, its the thrust. If you are going to get into FPV, this means adding more weight to your tricopter. As an example the 3515 Emax's Chris has just purchased produce 2.8 kg's of thrust. When you add in the other 2 motors you have a lift capability of 8.4 kg. If you are only pushing around 2 kg's with appropriately sized props, you will still get a fast tri-copter, but as you add your FPV gear and larger batteries you are going to need the thrust.

Ok thanks for that.

Although I haven't weighed it, I'm pretty sure my tri would be battling to push 1kg as it is at the moment so finding something with enough thrust shouldn't be a problem!

For the fpv gear I'm thinking I'll go with a Mobius both for the FPV and also to record with. So only using 1 camera will save a bit of weight but possibly costing some reliability I guess. But that's all a long way down the track yet. I worked out that the FPV setup will cost me around $1k to get into with decent goggles and OSD. I'd rather buy something decent the first time that spend money on a screen or cheapy goggles only to have to upgrade in 6 months time.
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1829 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
One I fixed the F450 failsafe problem thanks to Chris for interpretting the logfile - I'm still not happy with the throttle response its still VERY VERY strange there's a delay of seconds before
it goes up and or down - I'll check this better in an open paddock tomorrow if the wind stays away ..

No probs, I can most likely fix the next problem too :-)

It's your ESC's, they are most likely set to a soft start or super soft start.  If you have the ESC programming card you can modify them to be normal start.  Otherwise welcome to transmitter and ESC hell......  I think soft is 1 sec delay for full spin change and super soft is 2 sec delay for full spin change. 

Two - the flickering on my Phantom OSD appears to have been a loose pin in the transmitter power lead - So I removed it and put in a balance plug and it seems to be OK now - A flight test
will prove it - I also changed frequencies before I flicked the power lead and saw the transmitter LEDs go out !!

Great news!  Fingers crossed on the test flight.

Regards,

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1830 on: April 13, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »

There is some thought that a smaller prop is quicker to change in RPM, so that a faster RPM with a smaller prop will change more quickly than a larger prop.

Remember safety first, always check stuff, develop a process you are happy to follow, whatever works just make sure you check stuff.  I got mine down to just bearing failures of the motors.

I have to say by the sounds of it you are after an all rounder to putter around with the odd burst speed.  4s on a 9x4.x should be fine on the motors your looking at.  It is a good match, it will allow for some nimble flying.  You also have to look at the weight being put on the arms, the more weight then the more momentum, so putting 75g vs 150g might be worthwhile.  I would say give the sunny sky's a go, they have a good rep.

In terms of an emax MT motor to match, your right they don't seem to have something that matches nicely to the propellers you are using.  Props are cheap anyway, plus now you are at a point where you don't crash unless you push it you might want to consider some CF props - changing props would open up some of there motors to you.  I encountered this when I was looking, I decided the bigger motors as I was pushing 1.3kg at the time and only going upwards.  I now sit at 1.8/1.9kg as an AUW, so pretty heavy now.  I'm getting great lift out of the MT3515 and I'm still yet to try 15" CF props (should be here tomorrow).

I would recommend to stick with the kV range you have, if you were lifting heavier weights I'd say yep go for the lower kV motors.  If I was moving only 1kg to 1.2kg then all you need really is an efficient lift of 400g per motor.  But if you do switch props, then I'd consider changing down to a 750-1000 kV motor - maybe the Emax MT2216 with 10x3.8 or 10x4.5 would be a good match, 12A for 1.3kg of lift, with a max lift of 3.2kg which is more than the x2 rule of thumb.

Although I haven't weighed it, I'm pretty sure my tri would be battling to push 1kg as it is at the moment so finding something with enough thrust shouldn't be a problem!

For the fpv gear I'm thinking I'll go with a Mobius both for the FPV and also to record with. So only using 1 camera will save a bit of weight but possibly costing some reliability I guess. But that's all a long way down the track yet. I worked out that the FPV setup will cost me around $1k to get into with decent goggles and OSD. I'd rather buy something decent the first time that spend money on a screen or cheapy goggles only to have to upgrade in 6 months time.

My tri started out lean but quickly grew in weight, that was the plan.  I think my AUW when I started was sub 1kg (just).  Note that for FPV the mobius has a slight lag, on my mini quad I have both a security camera and a mobius.  So if you are proximity flying then the mobius will let you down I feel (it's about 50-100ms from what I can tell).  Its great on actual footage to review afterward, good quality for a decent price.

FPV and OSD you should be able to get away with for less, I've assumed 5.8Ghz gear.

Mobius   - $80
Mobius Live out - $5
FPV TX   - $35
OSD       - $20 (if you are not using an APM, then this will be more....)
Googles - $350-400 (good ones will come with a basic RX, if not then add $20-30)
Good Antennas - $40 (both Tx and Rx - dont skimp on this, even cheap CP's will vastly improve the quality)
Misc wires - $10

Expect the tri to get about 100g to 150g fatter :-)

You should have a lot of change from 1K.  I recommend to keep it simple.

Regards

Chris

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:43:05 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1831 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:01 AM »

I have to say by the sounds of it you are after an all rounder to putter around with the odd burst speed.  4s on a 9x4.x should be fine on the motors your looking at. 

Yep that's pretty much it. Something to learn on and get a feel for FPV and see where I want to go in the hobby after that.

In terms of an emax MT motor to match, your right they don't seem to have something that matches nicely to the propellers you are using.  Props are cheap anyway, plus now you are at a point where you don't crash unless you push it you might want to consider some CF props - changing props would open up some of there motors to you.

But if you do switch props, then I'd consider changing down to a 750-1000 kV motor - maybe the Emax MT2216 with 10x3.8 or 10x4.5 would be a good match, 12A for 1.3kg of lift, with a max lift of 3.2kg which is more than the x2 rule of thumb.

Aaahh damn you! I was just about to order a set of the SunnySkys but now I'm second guessing myself  ;D! The extra grunt would be nice but it would be an extra $20 for the order plus whatever a few of the 10" props would be. Decisions decisions.

Note that for FPV the mobius has a slight lag, on my mini quad I have both a security camera and a mobius.  So if you are proximity flying then the mobius will let you down I feel (it's about 50-100ms from what I can tell).  Its great on actual footage to review afterward, good quality for a decent price.

Oh bugger. Sounds like I might have to look at a separate camera when the time comes.

FPV and OSD you should be able to get away with for less, I've assumed 5.8Ghz gear.

Mobius   - $80
Mobius Live out - $5
FPV TX   - $35
OSD       - $20 (if you are not using an APM, then this will be more....)
Googles - $350-400 (good ones will come with a basic RX, if not then add $20-30)
Good Antennas - $40 (both Tx and Rx - dont skimp on this, even cheap CP's will vastly improve the quality)
Misc wires - $10

You should have a lot of change from 1K.  I recommend to keep it simple.

That sounds much more respectable than 1K! I allowed a fair bit more for the OSD because I wanted something fairly plug and play but I haven't looked into it much so something like a Minim OSD might suit - I have no idea on that yet. I was going to go for a 5.8 600mw Tx too so that would cost a bit more and yes definitely will get some CP antennae
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1832 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:11 AM »
Note that for FPV the mobius has a slight lag, on my mini quad I have both a security camera and a mobius.  So if you are proximity flying then the mobius will let you down I feel (it's about 50-100ms from what I can tell).  Its great on actual footage to review afterward, good quality for a decent price.

Oh bugger. Sounds like I might have to look at a separate camera when the time comes.

Note that plenty of people fly with the mobius as their FPV camera, its only if you are flying like Charpu that you'll need to worry about it.  I reckon start with it and see how you go.  You can always buy a security camera later on.  They are cheap as.

MinimOSD will only work with particular flight controller boards (APM, MultiWii, etc), so if you are flying with a Naza or something like that it will hurt the pocket a bit more.

But if you do switch props, then I'd consider changing down to a 750-1000 kV motor - maybe the Emax MT2216 with 10x3.8 or 10x4.5 would be a good match, 12A for 1.3kg of lift, with a max lift of 3.2kg which is more than the x2 rule of thumb.

Aaahh damn you! I was just about to order a set of the SunnySkys but now I'm second guessing myself  ;D! The extra grunt would be nice but it would be an extra $20 for the order plus whatever a few of the 10" props would be. Decisions decisions.

LOL, I'm here to help  ;D  Sunnysky motors are a reasonable quality motor, but I'd most likely take the extra lift if you can.  If you think about it the props will be maybe $10 or $12 for several sets of 10"  props.  Whats the lift with the sunnysky motors on 10" props?  Might be something to consider if they are a little cheaper.  Sorry at work on an early morning change to a system (been here since 3:15am), do the sunnysky motors support the 3 hole CF style (t style) props?  From the pics I can access here it doesn't look like it?  Annoying proxy server getting in the way of seeing the pictures I need to see to know....

Chris
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:13:15 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1833 on: April 14, 2015, 05:33:39 AM »
Hi Spartan,

I've been doing some reading, I'd rethink the sunnysky X2212's on 4s, seems some people have had some overloading issues with 9" props.  The sunnysky X2216 might be worth a look or the emax's.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1834 on: April 14, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Some stats from the newly arrived DYS 2212 - 920 Kv motors

By the looks of the below figures they are almost the same as the Multi 2212 - 920kv

Prop      Material   Type            Weight      Thrust Max

8" DJI   Plastic   8045   9gms      560gms
9" DJI   Plastic   9443   10gms      660gms
9" Unkn   CF           9443   14gms      540gms
9" Tri    Plastic   9045   16gms      630gms
10"Unkn   Plastic   1045   11gms      730gms

So the Alibaba 10" bolt on props win giving me a max lift off weight of 4 x 730gms = 2920 gms
with a hover of 50% Thrust - 1450gms upto 70% - 2044 gms should be my max total aircraft weight - Yes ???

So the Alien begins again very soon ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1835 on: April 14, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Some stats from the newly arrived DYS 2212 - 920 Kv motors

By the looks of the below figures they are almost the same as the Multi 2212 - 920kv

Prop      Material   Type            Weight      Thrust Max

8" DJI   Plastic   8045   9gms      560gms
9" DJI   Plastic   9443   10gms      660gms
9" Unkn   CF           9443   14gms      540gms
9" Tri    Plastic   9045   16gms      630gms
10"Unkn   Plastic   1045   11gms      730gms

So the Alibaba 10" bolt on props win giving me a max lift off weight of 4 x 730gms = 2920 gms
with a hover of 50% Thrust - 1450gms upto 70% - 2044 gms should be my max total aircraft weight - Yes ???

So the Alien begins again very soon ...

Is that on 3s or 4s?  Hoping those figures are 3s.  Also any chance you got the current draw while capturing those?  Max lift may not be the best, it's good to get a balance.

It would be great to hear the alien has taken flight.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1836 on: April 14, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
I don't have 4S yet only 3S -- Forgot to plug in the watty ... dammit .. I'll do it again its all setup ...

Marschy

« Reply #1837 on: April 14, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »
I don't have 4S yet only 3S -- Forgot to plug in the watty ... dammit .. I'll do it again its all setup ...
LOL, would have thought you'd have a few of them lying around Steve.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1838 on: April 14, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
Just built a new stand for the motor / blade tester .. Very different readings now - I'll have a full range done tomorrow now .. with Amps from my last remaining watty ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1839 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
Just built a new stand for the motor / blade tester .. Very different readings now - I'll have a full range done tomorrow now .. with Amps from my last remaining watty ...

We all love pics   :angel:

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1840 on: April 14, 2015, 10:54:38 PM »
Yep - it will be done tomorrow - bedtime for us old fogies now ... LOL

Here it is the new construbance - I get very different figures from this lever version - as it employs a lever it is probably more accurate but subject to Archimedes Rules of levers .. The balance point is 7" from the prop and 8" from the pressure point so pretty close to equal forces at both ends ( Mathematically a thrust of 8 will create a down pressure of 7 ) which means my figures are slightly lower than actual ..
But close enough for me ... LOL
Pics -- ( In a second gotta switch to tapatalk )

8" DJI 8045 Plastic 9gms - 740gms at 10 Amps
8" Tri 8045 Plastic 16gms - 860gms at 15 Amps !! 
9"DJI 9443 Plastic 10gms - 780 gms at 10 Amps
9" Unk 9443 carbon 14gms - 660gms at 8.4 Amps
9" Tri 9045 Plastic 17gms - 600gms at 10 Amps
10" Unk 1045 Plastic - 11gms - 840gms at 13.5 Amps !!
Weights on the 2 bolt ons now have the weight of the nut added in .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:44:20 AM by Mandrake »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1841 on: April 15, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
Yep - it will be done tomorrow - bedtime for us old fogies now ... LOL

Here it is the new construbance - I get very different figures from this lever version - as it employs a lever it is probably more accurate but subject to Archimedes Rules of levers .. The balance point is 7" from the prop and 8" from the pressure point so pretty close to equal forces at both ends ( Mathematically a thrust of 8 will create a down pressure of 7 ) which means my figures are slightly lower than actual ..
But close enough for me ... LOL
Pics -- ( In a second gotta switch to tapatalk )

Interesting design, I like it!  Is there a reason for not going symmetrical?  That way you wouldnt need to work out what the real figures are :-)  If you were into planes, you'd have one design flaw, you can't use it for pusher props.  Perfect though for multirotors as you can choose which prop you want to use.

I have another question question for you, have you looked the 50% throttle figures?  Reason I ask is that is where you will spend 80% of your time, you want to get as efficient as you can.  I've taken to doing a range of throttles, usually I start with my AUW and work out what it would take to hover at it (so 1.8 kg / 3 = 600g), that way you can find the prop combo that bests works for you, efficient use of power at hover and then what's my max, is it a 2:1 ratio?

Chris
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:38:51 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1842 on: April 15, 2015, 06:19:20 PM »
You can test pusher motors by mounting the motor upside down ... Plenty of room for up to 12" props -

Not too worried about the "actuals" what it measures will be good enough for l'il 'ol me ...

I was surprised by the 8045 tri-blade results ...

I'm a bit concerned with the DYS motors as they don't spin up on their own at the moment - I'm hoping that will change when
I mount them on an airframe as I'm only using a servo tester for these tests ...

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1843 on: April 15, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
Well I ended up ordering a set of the sunny x2212 before I read the last replies from you guys, so hopefully no overloading issues with them!

I'll definitely only be running 9" props as I'm only using 20a ESCs (another regret - should have gone with 30a) and a 10" prop will push the draw over 20a according to Sunnysky's data table thing.

Should only pull 15a or so at WOT with 9" props so plenty of head room..... I hope.

I'm sure you'll hear back from me if they end up being crap too!  ;D

Now to find a use for the 5 dodgy NTMs I'll have laying around. Might have to find a foamy or something to throw one on?
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1844 on: April 16, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »
You can test pusher motors by mounting the motor upside down ... Plenty of room for up to 12" props -

Not too worried about the "actuals" what it measures will be good enough for l'il 'ol me ...

I was surprised by the 8045 tri-blade results ...

I'm a bit concerned with the DYS motors as they don't spin up on their own at the moment - I'm hoping that will change when
I mount them on an airframe as I'm only using a servo tester for these tests ...

I like the design very simple and effective.

I'm a little surprised, I was expecting slightly higher amp draw.  The 3 blades provide excellent lift, but the at a high cost of Amp's, I think you'll find the results for the tri blade a little less desirable at the lower power (say 50%).  But I'm prepared to eat my words  ;D

Hmmm, that's not good, they should fire up on the servo tester.  Are you sure everything is connected right?  Do you have your ESC's set to play music on startup?  If so do they play it?  If not then I'd not be too concerned.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1845 on: April 16, 2015, 12:55:51 AM »
I like the design very simple and effective.

I'm a little surprised, I was expecting slightly higher amp draw.  The 3 blades provide excellent lift, but the at a high cost of Amp's, I think you'll find the results for the tri blade a little less desirable at the lower power (say 50%).  But I'm prepared to eat my words  ;D

Hmmm, that's not good, they should fire up on the servo tester.  Are you sure everything is connected right?  Do you have your ESC's set to play music on startup?  If so do they play it?  If not then I'd not be too concerned.

Chris
Servo testers are not the best thing to use for testing motors. The PWM range of the servo tester may not cover the full PWM range of the ESC, so you may not get results reflective of the full capability of the ESC.

If you have a spare receiver, you are better off using that, and calibrate the ESC using the receiver. This will at least give you the full capability of the speed controller.

Don't calibrate the ESC using the servo tester, it often requires a factory reset of the ESC using a programming card to get it to be able to be calibrated again via a receiver.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:58:50 AM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #1846 on: April 16, 2015, 01:30:32 AM »
People like this give me the sh!ts. It's not hard to check what you are allowed to do or not as the case may be, regarding flying remote controlled aircraft. The problem is, they jeopardise the hobby for all of us.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180331&page=1446#post31354597

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1847 on: April 16, 2015, 11:02:55 AM »
People like this give me the sh!ts. It's not hard to check what you are allowed to do or not as the case may be, regarding flying remote controlled aircraft. The problem is, they jeopardise the hobby for all of us.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180331&page=1446#post31354597

I've come to accept that in life so many people don't think the rules apply to them.  Rules just don't need to be followed according to so many but when it affects them well that's different, there should have been rules to protect me...... Sigh.  What's worse is that they feel if they didn't know they shouldn't do it, then it shouldn't apply to them....  Really, wow......  I spend a few weeks with the NSW Police in the field and it was an eye opener.

I agree that some of the Quad Racers just don't care, I was particularly concerned when I saw cars actually driving around, so I can only guess that the woolies was open still.  It seems that very little risk assessing went into it, hence the reason why model ac arent allowed to fly at night.  Some are actually trying to put some safety measures in place and I applaud those people.

It was interesting the responses you got, well such and such was on TV so its ok.....  Is that really the way we do things now?  TV is our source of truth now?

These guys chose to fly in an open carpark at night, in clear violation of the CASAR Part 101:

Violations I observed:
101.390 - Operating model ac at night - 25 penalty points or 101.095 - also 25 penalty points.
101.395 - Keeping model ac away from people - 50 penalty points
101.055 - Hazardous operation prohibited (since he flew right a a car and then moved off to the side, it could be considered hazardous) - 50 penalty points

So that's max 125 points - or $21,590.  Honesty I would say CASA if they bothered and that's a big if, then they would only pursue the operating at night or too close to people and then only give a small component of that, so maybe $500 worth of a fine.  The guy in Queensland drew far to much attention to himself, also flew well beyond BVLOS if I'm remembering correctly.  That was a good outcome as he sold his gear, so got him out of the hobby all together.

I think you'll find that CASA will investigate if someone brings it to their attention - and dig further if needed, I have doubts they are trolling youtube specifically without someone pointing it out to them.  I know they'll say one thing and actually do another, its about perception.

The 30m rule is really hard to maintain - with kids and dogs, I start flying in a park up the road and it's empty.  Half way through I get kids arriving and it can be hard to keep them away as they don't understand the risks.  It is not odd for me to land and then go if I feel they won't listen, I try to share the park as much as I can.  In a recent video I had them about 20m away as that was the best I could do, they were sitting for me so it helped, strictly by the rules I could be in trouble, but I risk assessed it and landed when they started to move again, luckily the parents were really good and said, sorry kids time to go.  The way I look at it is that if I throw a prop it can easily travel 10-15m away (or further if I'm unlucky).  Now thats only happened twice (both times because I didn't go through the full checks) - I don't cut corners anymore it's not worth it.  Also I find it fun at SES we will often get people to stand 10m away from an object (it's out min safe distance for downed power lines) and wow people have such varied view of distance (and not in the safe direction).

Sadly it really boils down to education, like so many of our laws.  Sadly your attempt on RCgroups didn't go well.  I recently had someone ask well what is allowed on RCGroups.  When I replied I had the typical response of 'here we go again' from certain people.  Here was someone asking what is it, sure he could have searched but he asked, so I helped.  I now have a thread I can point people to if I get asked the same question.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1848 on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
Servo testers are not the best thing to use for testing motors. The PWM range of the servo tester may not cover the full PWM range of the ESC, so you may not get results reflective of the full capability of the ESC.

If you have a spare receiver, you are better off using that, and calibrate the ESC using the receiver. This will at least give you the full capability of the speed controller.

Don't calibrate the ESC using the servo tester, it often requires a factory reset of the ESC using a programming card to get it to be able to be calibrated again via a receiver.

Agreed but it normally at least is enough to make them spin.....  If you want a full test then yes receiver is the way to go.  I know my test turnigy plush 18A ESC has a low of approx 950 and a high of approx 2000, so when using a servo tester I keep to those PWM ranges (it goes from 750 to 2300).

Yep, don't calibrate of them ever - not worth it.

I sometimes use my spare Tx and RX and sometimes I use the servo tester, depends what I'm doing.  Tx gives much more fine control. 

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1849 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »

With only these figures I think the 9"DJI 9443 seem to be the winner, best bang for buck (or the most efficient), but you really need to get the hover throttle value to be sure.

I selected the MT3515's not only for their max capacity, but there high efficiency in the weight ranges I fly the Tricopter in.

I'm about to go through this exercise for a Competition I'm entering, but for two platforms of different types.

I picked up a parcel yesterday, had my 15" CF props, so I'll be doing some bench testing tonight  ;D  Will post some figures.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander