Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687969 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1725 on: March 20, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »
Seems good things come to those who wait......

I got 3 parcels today, the first is my long range RFDesign radios (possible range with directional antennas 40km's) - this is for the companion computer but it will provide a link to the Pixhawk, a box from HK (with some 12V reg's) and the most important box (the box with my emax motors).

Now I honestly was expecting another 2-3 weeks before I saw the emax motors.  So no more DT750's for the time being!!!  No need to spend tonight working out which ones are good and which ones have dodgy bearings - that can wait until I'm bored.

I'll see how the EMAX MT3515's go, has anyone tried the AVRoto range of motors?  I'm thinking of trialing some later on in the year, wanted to know if their reputation is actually as good as the web reviews?  At $115 US a motor (accessory pack is extra), they are pricey but commercial operators are using them so I wonder if they live up to their reputation?

A very busy weekend ahead of mounting and configuring stuff.  Sadly next weeks weather forecast doesnt look good, grrrrr.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:11:27 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1726 on: March 20, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
I LOVE box deliveries.....  :cup:

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1727 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
I LOVE box deliveries.....  :cup:

I know it's like your a kid again  ;D

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1728 on: March 21, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
Todays progress on the tricopter:

- Redrilled the holes for the rear boom / arm
- Cut and drilled the 3 booms / arms
- Made another tail mechanism as the old one has a different sized servo
- Test mounted the motors onto the frame
- Fixed damage to the battery tray

I should get her back to a flying state tomorrow but it will be sometime in the week before I get to actually test it out down at the park.

I made the arms 50cm long, so it will be around a 700 to 750 sized, so quite big.  I'm hoping that the motors or props wont appear in the footage, otherwise I may to shorten them slightly.  Good news is that the 14" fit with plenty of room to spare.

I also tested out the RFDesign telemetry radio's, it seems it is extremely straight forwards, I have them working just like the 3dr radios but I'll do even more with them.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:14:45 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1730 on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
Well I've now got ADSB data appearing on Mission Planner, so I can see all the large aircraft that are flying around.  It uses a DVB-T receiver and it picks up the ADSB signal on 1090 Mhz.

I haven't been as quick as I'd like with the Tricopter rebuild, it should be ready for a flight on the weekend - if I pull my finger out, I've only just finished drilling all the bits.  Now it's wiring and mounting all the electronics....  Can't wait for it to take flight again!

Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:12:55 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1731 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Okay more of my inner geek....

If anyone is interested in the more automated side of the hobby, and your happy to support a crowd funding project you can pick up a Pixhawk Fire Cape for a good price: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pixhawk-fire-cape

Note that you'll still need a BeagleBoneBlack (BBB) to make a FC this is just the add on board.

So for the cost of a BBB (approx $70) and the cape (earlybird $150) you can have a linux FC.  Note it's still a work in progress so it's not as robust as the APM or the Pixhawk at this stage.  I plan to learn more about how it all works.  Still not sure about the concept of the FC doing other activities, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Argh, now I'll have 2 x APM 2.x, 1 x APM 3.1, 2 x Pixhawk's and 1 x BBB with PXF.  Not to mention the companion computer ODROID....  Solution is I need more flying things!

I also got in the mail last night two of the Bluetooth modules, I'm tired of having to plug my gimbal into the computer everything I want to make a change, will be nice to have the BT module on it and use my phone, heck I could even do it at the field.  Not sure where I'll put the 2nd one.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1732 on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:17 AM »
Back on dry land after week cruising in New Caledonia. Geez I love Australia.

Looking forward to some thrust data results Chris

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1733 on: March 29, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Less than a week and we takeoff for a little place called London. No other flying types for over a month????unless i get off the ground tomorrow.
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #1734 on: March 29, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
No other flying types for over a month????
Yeah, but you can go to places like Duxford, the RAF museum, Battle of Britain Memorial flight. Lucky bugger.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1735 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
Yeah, but you can go to places like Duxford, the RAF museum, Battle of Britain Memorial flight. Lucky bugger.
Not going to Duxford but we are going to the RAF Museum.
We are also going to the place where Bomber Command was (Only a memorial there now so I am told). Our plan is to take a photo of Mrs Crisp's Grandfather and take a photo of my son (who is in air cadets) standing in front of the memorial. You see The Grandfather flew Lancaster's in the war. He completed 30 missions with 21 of them in the same plane. This was a good run for a Lancaster as the average life for one was 16 missions. Eric also was awarded a DFC for a mission that he flew where he lost all instrumentation but still completed the mission and returned safely. So it is a bit of a family history trip.
We are calling it the Crisp Family Cultural Tour.
We will be in London, Paris, Salzburg, Venice and Rome.
Should be good.
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #1736 on: March 30, 2015, 03:34:37 AM »
I was in the ATC myself. Sounds like the itinerary is following in the footsteps of the Grizwalds, oink oink.  ;D

Have fun.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1737 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Hi all from sunny Yarrawonga..
Just flew 2 batteries worth on the Phantom.. OSD working really well but there's a bit of interference in the video.. I'll post a bit on here when I get home .. Also had the video camera going but I missed one of the many settings and it stopped recording 3 minutes out ?? All in all very happy with the results ... I have 2 parcels at my locker .. probably APM and GPS holders ... Have to wait until after Easter for them ...

Marschy

« Reply #1738 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
Last count, I have 3 Go-pro knock-off with water proof cases. Can you guess what I didn't even give a second thought to taking to New Caledonia?

Only remembered it when I was swimming at Isle of Pines. Would have loved to have taken a quad. Such a pretty place.

I'm on holiday still until after Easter, so I'm finishing off the ZMR250 mini quad and my Trifecta mini tri-copter. Both of these will have have FPV camera's only. My ground station has a DVR recorder so I'll still be able to record my flights, but the quality won't be as good as the Go-pro knockoff's.

I'm in the middle of fixing the gimbal controller on my X-mode Alien. I have finally found a gimbal controller I am happy with. One of these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FPV-Part-HMBGC-BGC-Micro-Brushless-Gimbal-Controller-Driver-w-Sensor-Firmware-V2-2/1976736189.html

I have reflashed the controller with BruGui_050 and it works well (so far). No motor squeal which was happening with the stock firmware (Alexmos 2.2). Just have to tune it and it should be good to go.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1739 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:51 PM »
I have 2 parcels at my locker .. probably APM and GPS holders ... Have to wait until after Easter for them ...

Just be aware that after 3 days they move to the post office and then after 1 week they RTS.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1740 on: March 31, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
Seems the new BLHeli ESC's dont like the pixhawk......  I'm having an issue where no motor activity occurs even though it's outputting the right PWM values to the ESC's.  Myself and several others are having the same issue, I'll try a few different firmware version to see if it makes a difference.

Motors and ESC's work properly when connected directly to the receiver so it seems to be a pixhawk issue.  I think I'll be doing some research once I finish doing a change for work tonight (I think it's atmel based vs silabs).

It's been blocking me the last 3 days.  So annoying the weather was perfect for flying this afternoon....

Chris
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:32:52 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1741 on: March 31, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Just be aware that after 3 days they move to the post office and then after 1 week they RTS.

Chris
There's 6 parcels now with Easter in between...LOL

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1742 on: March 31, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
There's 6 parcels now with Easter in between...LOL

They'll love you, they never put two parcels in one locker.....  I've had 3 to collect before, and yep that was three times I had to enter the details, grrrr...

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1743 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
Seems the new BLHeli ESC's dont like the pixhawk......  I'm having an issue where no motor activity occurs even though it's outputting the right PWM values to the ESC's.  Myself and several others are having the same issue, I'll try a few different firmware version to see if it makes a difference.

Motors and ESC's work properly when connected directly to the receiver so it seems to be a pixhawk issue.  I think I'll be doing some research once I finish doing a change for work tonight (I think it's atmel based vs silabs).

It's been blocking me the last 3 days.  So annoying the weather was perfect for flying this afternoon....

Chris

So since I haven't found a solution yet, I decided to put a rush order for 3 blue series 30A ESC's to hold me over till I resolve it.  The blue series only go to 4s, so I will have to solve the issue to get to test out the 6s.  Working with others on diydrones so hopefully wont be long till we resolve it.  Fingers crossed I get the blue series on Thursday, that way I may get a chance to fly the tricopter over the long weekend.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:45:49 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1744 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »
So since I haven't found a solution yet, I decided to put a rush order for 3 blue series 30A ESC's to hold me over till I resolve it.  The blue series only go to 4s, so I will have to solve the issue to get to test out the 6s.  Working with others on diydrones so hopefully wont be long till we resolve it.  Fingers crossed I get the blue series on Thursday, that way I may get a chance to fly the tricopter over the long weekend.

Chris
Another alternative is to flash them with SimonK. The bootloader for BLHeli is compatible with the bootloader for SimonK.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1745 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Another alternative is to flash them with SimonK. The bootloader for BLHeli is compatible with the bootloader for SimonK.

True, I could have saved $45 grrrr.  Hmmm hold on, just thinking that in a few months when I decide to build a Y6, I'll only have to buy 3 more Blue Series and I'm set (i can avoid using the 18A turnigy plush I have plenty of), since they are 30A ESC's I'll have to naturally buy some decent motors for them right?  I'm starting to wonder if the issues I had were purely bearing issues, as the motor I thought might have failed used most of a 2200mah 3s battery with no loss of thrust while I was watching / listening.  I'm wondering if it's the mysterious ESC simonK sync issues some are having?

If they don't arrive for the weekend I think I will just flash them with simonk to get some flying time with the tri this long weekend.  Been fun with the mini quad but I want my tri back in the air!

I'm waiting for pay day so I can order my new Tricopter frame.  I've given up cutting my own CF sheets, its better to offload it to someone with a CNC machine, much more accurate - looks so much better (and less health risks later on).  I've been using qcad to design my new frame (nice to dry fit components to see how far they will stick out).  I'm going to give http://www.cutfromcad.com/ a try, they are based in WA I think. 

Main goals:
I need to have enough room to fit all my electronics, I'll have a stackable frame on top of the pixhawk to mount the ODROID - this way I can remove it easily when I'm not using that part. 
It's nice to know if you put a hole in the plans it will be there to the mm on the actual board (hard bit is to remember if you need a hole for a 3mm bolt, you have to make the hole 3.1mm). 
Make the arms changeable, so that I can try round arms as well as the square arms I've already got.
Tidy up the cabling - I've also used a distribution board this time to reduce the amount of cabling going places and I also ordered last night the HK APM distribution board so I'll switch to it.

Because of this I've decided to not do a super tidy install of the gear on the current frame, I know in a week or two I'll have the new frame and I'll be doing all again.  I figure the new frame I will largely built first (should only take me a night) and then a quick motor and electronics swap (that should only be a couple of hours with some testing) will see me flying very rapidly.

I've got two HK orders on the way, one with round arms and mounts, the other with my temporary ESC's and the APM distribution board.

Anyone else noticed that post Xmas HK's deliveries using Auspost have slowed a lot....  I was getting almost next day deliveries, 2 days at the latest for the 2nd half of last year (order in the morning, next afternoon it was in my parcel post locker), this year I am finding it's getting close to 4 days?  International is also gone from 6/7 days to 10+ days - I'm on day 11 for my recent order.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1746 on: April 01, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
I'm on day 11 for my recent order.

I just got an sms to tell me it's ready for pickup!  So now only waiting on my rush order I placed last night, HK had it ready to ship by 11am this morning so hoping I'll have it tomorrow......

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1747 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
I just got an sms to tell me it's ready for pickup!  So now only waiting on my rush order I placed last night, HK had it ready to ship by 11am this morning so hoping I'll have it tomorrow......

Well Auspost have let me down.....  I was hoping that my order would arrive today with the 3 alternative ESC's....  Guess I'll have to look at flashing the EMAX ESC's with simonk so I can get the tri in the air, I can flash them back with BLHeli at a later stage.

Seems my shipment despite having the shipment lodged at 11am yesterday, is apparently been re-notified of the ready for shipment......  So at best they'll leave South Coast today, given the public holidays it means I wont see them until Tuesday next week.... Grrrrrr...   Seems my two day orders are no more  :'(

Sucks as the forecast has gone from all days rainy to now showers on Fri and Sat but just cloudy for Sunday and Monday.  Hopefully I can flash them on the Friday for a test on Sunday  ;D

Hi Marschy,

I'll be doing some thrust tests on the weekend.  I wanted to run a DT750 through a battery the other night and didn't want to have to play swap the motor mount too much.  It's handy have a spare motor and ESC :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1748 on: April 02, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
Hi Marschy,

I'll be doing some thrust tests on the weekend.  I wanted to run a DT750 through a battery the other night and didn't want to have to play swap the motor mount too much.  It's handy have a spare motor and ESC :-)

Chris
It's not much to go by, but just spinning them by hand and you can tell the Emax motors are a quality motor.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1749 on: April 02, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
It's not much to go by, but just spinning them by hand and you can tell the Emax motors are a quality motor.

True they are a very solid yet smooth motor.  But then again I don't have other motors in that size, so hard to tell.

Mitsubishi Outlander