Author Topic: New bedhead  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Wolfie

• Swag User
  • Camel beachcomber plus 2015
New bedhead
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »
Inspired by the trackabout bedhead and others on here. I decided to have a crack at bedhead. Main aims were to able to sit up in bed and read, have power both sides of the bed for charging, proper light switches for led lights.

I couldn't do it in the same way as the trackabout ones due to the sloped end wall in the camel, but it seemed to work out okay in the end. I used a project board for bunnings, 200mm brackets and stainless hinges to attach it to the bed base and a bunch of bits from Jaycar. It folds down flat on the mattress when packed, and is supported with legs made from old tent poles when in use.

Only be tested for one night, but so far if hasn't fallen apart.
It's not an adventure unless something goes wrong.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: New bedhead
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:44:43 PM »
Looks pretty flash, if I ever get around to making one I plan on using a couple of right angle brackets at the ends to offset the hinge as shown in red in my pic, that way it would fold down flat on the bed to travel  and then you just need to flip it up and the hinges offset nature of the brackets/hinges should hold it upright.

Offline Wolfie

• Swag User
  • Camel beachcomber plus 2015
Re: New bedhead
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:43:14 AM »
Yep, that's how I wanted to do to originally. With the end wall sloping in I wasn't sure the hoops would clear it when folding up the tent. If you can do it your way, I reckon it would be better. No need to stuff around working out how to support the bedhead when upright.
It's not an adventure unless something goes wrong.