Author Topic: jayco or coromal campers  (Read 18183 times)

Offline geffro

• Learning the Ropes
jayco or coromal campers
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:18 AM »
hi in the process of buying a camper. tossing up with a jayco swan or 4 year old coromal camper same price , is the coromal better build quality or is it over priced?

come on guys with jaycos please could you give me your thoughts, are you happy with your jayco's
1994 td 80 series
2008 prado gxl td

Offline geffro

• Learning the Ropes
Re: jayco or coromal campers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »
p.s. if anyone with a coromal camper could i have your thoughts thanks.
1994 td 80 series
2008 prado gxl td

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:21:47 AM »
Depends on where you take it. If it's mainly blacktop and caravan parks the Jayco will be fine. If you want to get into the rough stuff the Coromal has better build quality. I wouldn't buy a Jayco after what I saw on the Oodnadatta track.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
Depends on where you take it. If it's mainly blacktop and caravan parks the Jayco will be fine. If you want to get into the rough stuff the Coromal has better build quality. I wouldn't buy a Jayco after what I saw on the Oodnadatta track.

I took my Jayco over the top of the Barrington Tops a few weeks ago.  The road is not the Oodnadatta Track but it's rough dirt road never the less and it held up fine.

The general consensus is that the Jayco is fine for dirt roads but not for real tough stuff, in saying that however any of the pop up style campers are not made for true off road stuff in comparison with soft top campers.

Danbri, from this forum has just taken his Jayco out to Camerons Corner if you look for his trip report he talks about how the Jayco held up.

At the end of the day its about choice if you are happy with the Corromal go for it.

Offline Signature035

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The older I get...... the better I was
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
.....Yep......  Comes down to use..... and of course $$$$$

I have toughened our Jayco up.... and feel pretty confident it can handle where I want to take it.

There are a few Coromal owners on here..... Mav? 
Rob
2012 Prado D4D Altitude &
04 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline geffro

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »
thanks for your replys guys.

it interesting the jayco team and the pro jayco side. i was just interested , who had jaycos and were still happy with them if there were any doubts with them after buying one .

there seems to be alot for sale a moment being not very old and thanks again.

1994 td 80 series
2008 prado gxl td

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
The fact is that all of the pop top style campers have their limitations.  One thing is certain all of them hold their value.

I know that my Jayco is never going to be as tough as what my "All Terrain Camper Trailer" was and I bought it with that knowledge in mind.

I have confidence that it will get it to where I want it to go.  In fairness to Jayco they do not suggest that their trailers are 4wd trailers and in fact that say that in their brochures.
The following users thanked this post: rotare

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
G;day and welcome,

I believe Coromal does have a slightly better build quality as far as internal fittings etc go (carpentry) but at what cost they are over priced
I think Jayco's  have better body/ground clearance than Coromal. but if you want something in the Jayco/Coromal set up and considering the Coromal you may as well look at a Goldstream as well, I believe they are more robust out of the 3.

We are more they happy with our Jayco  ;)
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Jayco after what I saw on the Oodnadatta track.

Mine did the Oondy no drama plus most other big name dirt roads, cape included. What did you see?
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
hi in the process of buying a camper. tossing up with a jayco swan or 4 year old coromal camper same price , is the coromal better build quality or is it over priced?

come on guys with jaycos please could you give me your thoughts, are you happy with your jayco's

I had a brand new Jayco Swan and I liked it.  The build quality is not up to Coromal though.  A few things that I stand out are the way things are finished where you cant see them.  Holes drilled with spade bits so the ply splinters under the seats, very very thin veneers (or pretend veneer), rough finish on door trims - things like that. 

Now I am not complaining or bagging the product at all.  They are built to a price and will do everything asked of them.  Its really a matter for the buyer as to what they want. 

Very much like whether to buy a hyundai or a toyota.  Both do the job its just one is finished off a little better.

Have fun.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Jayco after what I saw on the Oodnadatta track.

Mine did the Oondy no drama plus most other big name dirt roads, cape included. What did you see?

Full of dust, holed water tanks, busted electric brake cables, ripped off annexe.

As has been said my pick is also the Goldstream.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jukebox

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
D4D wrote Full of dust, holed water tanks, busted electric brake cables, ripped off annexe.

As fas I can see that could happen to any camper just not Jayco's.
Other than the annexe coming off as some don't have them.

Jukebox  :D
Jukebox
Nissan Navara 2007 STX 2.5 & Jayco Finch O/B
Since 3/9/08

Offline Belly

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
Jayco's are value for money if you use them to their limitations.   Last year I took mine on a 20000 km trip starting with the Oody track, Mereenie loop, West Macs, Kakadu, Litchfield, Bungles, GRR, Mitchell Falls, Cape Leveque, Karajini and all the dirt in between ending back in Melb.

Yes I had to do some mods to get it through, they are not dust vacums if you do your homework as outlined here on MY Swag.   The money you save on buying a Jayco will allow you to modify it but also have a fabulous holiday with more $$$ in your back pocket.   

I have an 04 OB Eagle (Which I will not swap for anything now) , I wanted a OB Goldstream but could not jusitfy the extra $$$.

These are my thoughts

Belly     

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
I cannot comment on the Coromal as I have no experience with them, but we have a ''07 Jayco Hawk Outback.

We have covered over 14,000km in 2 years with the camper and had no problems with it.  There were a couple of little warranty issues when we bought it but were fixed no questions asked. I have done some mods  (preventitive maintenance) like resecure brake wiring along axle and reeal under the camper to eliminate any dust ingress. I also made a stone deflector for the front of the camper.

We have done the Flinders twice and QLD once along with numerous weekends away covering all roads from corrugated outback roads to highways.

I think the reason for alot on the market depends alot on the time of year ie: xmas holidays coming up plus they seem to hold there money on the secondhand market, so they maybe upgrading to a newer model for not much more $$$$.

2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
We're hoping to do the cape next year, and it will be a toss up whether we take our Hawk or our other modified camper/ trailer offroad jobby.
The only thing I don't like about our Jayco is the dust ingress but that is only on extremely bull dust ridden tracks.
But who cares, it's only dirt. We've all eaten a bit of dirt in our lives :cheers:
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Its amazing how often this question comes up..!

There's a big Jayco following on this forum and sometimes numbers speak louder than words.  I've certainly read a few owners having some teething problems but these seem to get ironed out eventually.

My outlaws have a Coromal (about 12 years old) and I can tell you they have dragged this thing around the country through hell and high water and it still looks as good as the day they bought it.  It is obviously built for rough terrain with a very heavy chassis and sturdy suspension setup.  Based on this I would reccommend Coromal for off roand use.

BUT....they recently looked into upgrading to a new Coromal and in their opinion, they were disappointed.  Apparently Coromal has changed hands in the last few years and they are not as well made as they used to be.  They decided for the money, they were better off keeping what they had.

If you want a real off road caravan style unit...take a look at Kedron.  :cup:  But you may want to sell a vital organ first...!!!

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
If you want a real off road caravan style unit...take a look at Kedron.  :cup:  But you may want to sell a vital organ first...!!!

got that right  ::)  bloody awesome vans though
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
Kedron's make me salivate profusely

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:13:51 PM by DANBRI »

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:25 AM »
...and their DVD's have me in stitches...!!  Especially the CREB Track trip where they sent the front diff of a near new 100 series Cruiser to the gods...!  To see the dad going off at his son was absolutely hilarious...!!!

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline AJC2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »
Coromal were about 10K more new when i was looking and also 300kg heavier...ok with a 6 or 8 cycl TD (ie 200, 100, 80 series; Patrol with the proper 4.2 motor  [not the 3.00 grenade]; Disco 3) - i thought the Paj (or Prado / Hiluc etc for that matter could do wthout the extra weight).
I'm happy with the Jayco designe and price...but there are so may little things which i find annoying as i am anal and i hate shoddy workmanship..but i expected that as i new i was buying at a price point (and that i woiuld get all the U-fix tips on this forum and elsewhere)
Disco 4 TDV6 and nothing to tow... but looking!