Author Topic: Camp security  (Read 2281 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Camp security
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:18:23 AM »
Off to Guilderton (Moore River), 90km north of Perth, on Sunday for a five-night stay.
After a warning from park management last time we were there about leaving an esky outside at night, I went to Bunnings today and bought two 5m lengths of not too heavy chain and a couple of padlocks to secure our chairs, table and anything else outside the van at night or when we are away during the day. Obviously, it's a deterrent rather than total protection, but it should deter the opportunistic thief. Access to this lovely park is easy, as it opens on to a river mouth.
Cost about $50 or so, which is probably cheap insurance, but I can't help feeling a bit sad that it is necessary. However, future plans include remote camping, so the chains may well get a bit of a workout.
Anyone else take such precautions?
Cheers, Tony

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
Re: Camp security
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:39:40 AM »
I think you will find the more remote free camp type areas that are well away from any towns are no problem, as the only 'visitors' are fellow, like minded travellers who also value their possessions ;D

Have never lost anything since 1996 when in the bush, can't say the same in reference to caravan parks  :police: >:(

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
We always secure valuable things - solar panels etc with chains etc but now have 2 x 15m lengths of s/steel cables thanks to GGPatrol.

Fishing rods etc are locked inside but figure a $40 chair or 2 are  OK.. agree that the more remote you camp the safer you are - only real campers tend to be that far away from civilisation. C/van parks and popular nat. parks are the worst for getting things nicked.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:23:38 AM »
When away frow camp clip a note to the tent in big letters " Hi Bill back in 10 mins just checking the sites on the 222 "  That should do it  >:D :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11661.0