Author Topic: ikea kitchen idea ?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
ikea kitchen idea ?
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
looking around for kitchen ideas ........

how do u reckon this would go [ side ways ] . modified as a pull out kitchen bench in a customline camper trailer .

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60169821 or this http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60186180 ...... 23 kg,s

its heavyish but it would be on a plastic  track system [ i spose ] like a drifta . probably plastic type boxes instead of drawers and a drop down leg system on the end .

it would need a decent backing as the ikea backing is crap .

hmmm maybe i could just make one out of ply .....  ;D

weight is over 20 kg,s,s so just slightly more than a full jerry can .

Craig
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:29:14 PM by craigtempo »

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
Re: ikea kitchen idea ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Hi...

We have the Billy bookcases here at home and they are ok for books...  I certainly would not use them for what you are intending.  One decent corrugated road and you would at least have firewood for the campfire!

The second one may be ok as the material looks just that bit thicker.

BJ
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
I agree with BJ47,
The joints are not made to resist vibrations.  
The panels are hollow and use fibreboard (cardboard) and paper as fillers.
From the LACK ad;
"product description
Basematerial: Particleboard, Fibreboard, ABS plastic, Acrylic paint
Filling material: Paper"

Where I disagree with BJ47 is that it is too light to even make a good fire!

We are great fans of Ikea and my partner can even pronounce all the names correctly.   The house is full of it, but not in the van.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:56:28 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
I agree with BJ47,
The joints are not made to resist vibrations.  
The panels are hollow and use fibreboard (cardboard) and paper as fillers.
From the LACK ad;
"product description
Basematerial: Particleboard, Fibreboard, ABS plastic, Acrylic paint
Filling material: Paper"

Where I disagree with BJ47 is that it is too light to even make a good fire!

We are great fans of Ikea and my partner can even pronounce all the names correctly.   The house is full of it, but not in the van.

Patr80l,

BJ47?  I suddenly feel a lot older!  :) :) :)

And alright, I agree, maybe kindling for the fire?

BJ
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
i agree guys BUT the ikea stuff IS easerly strengthened ... [ glue and screws] as well as putting on a stronger back and they turn into a very strong unit  .

good point on the paper filling didnt see that .expedit seems to be made from solid chip board . the paper and foil i imagine would be the timber grain look .

though maybe il just build one out of ply which is also just glue and crap wood .

i could just buy one but then ide miss out on the fun of modyfing the ct  ;D

craig

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »
i agree guys BUT the ikea stuff IS easerly strengthened ... [ glue and screws] as well as putting on a stronger back and they turn into a very strong unit  .

If you're going to do that you may as well start at Bunnings.

good point on the paper filling didnt see that .expedit seems to be made from solid chip board .

Nah, we have three Expedit units.   They are hollow too.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
Good idea   , Use the ikea stuff as a template to create a storage system , use marine 5 p;y . Make em tuff as the road will sort out whatever you build . Good luck  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline buildermidwife

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
I agree With Speewa 158 .At the least 5ply marine ply .
If weight is a problem 5 ply comes in lots of thicknesses right down to 6mm I think .
04 dx 3.0 patrol Goldstream Explorer st

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
ok

talked me out of it .     ply is the way to go .... so 10 mm ply 1200 x 2400 ought to do the trick  :D :D

il post my reults in a week or two when the job is done . :D :D

thanks

everyone .

craig

Offline lachjake

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
look forward to seeing the pics....I was thinking of making a storage box that slides out the back of the camper for ease of loading / unloading. has anyone made something similar, throw some ideas my way. cheers

:cheers:

Steve

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
There's a good one in this thread http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=2650.msg36468#msg36468
I will soon be making something very similar.
Plastic tucker boxes will sit in the front for easy access from kitchen area. Rest of the box for storage. When its pulled out it will be right near the tent door, I reckon it will be quicker to load/unload then lifting the bed hatch.
Going to line with marine type carpet from big green shed.

As I have a checkerplate floor I'm thinking of mounting the skids on the floor rather than the box, I reckon the ckeckerplate might destroy the plastic. Just have to make sure the kitchen box will clear them.

Can get 1.5m skids from boat shops and BCF for around $12-15 each, may try to join to get length needed or might not worry about the drawer bar end.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:37:54 PM by earle »

Offline lachjake

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks for that Earle.

I agree it should speed up the loading time, I know I need to speed up my packing process somehow!! I also have a checkerplate floor so was undecided  to put the skids on the box or the floor, just a bit reluctant to put holes into the camper floor or are you thinking about glueing them. i also saw one the other day that had some ally angle mounted to the trailer floor as a guide to stop the box moving over, looked pretty effective. marine grade ply or standard? big $$$ difference.
 What type of CT do you have, I have a Lifestyle camper.

Steve

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:34:59 AM »
I used 12mm construction grade ply from Bunning $48 a sheet, it handled a Cape trip easily so with some good glue and bracing/quad in the corners you could probably go down to 6mm.

I think I'll try that now that we've downgraded from the 80 Series to the Prado which is bit softer in the rear suspension.

Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
Thanks g-01

craig

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
Then again if its storage in your CT we use 59L plastic storage boxes from office works & a steel rake to pull them in & out of the CT . Less weight easier to move about . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Thanks for that Earle.

I agree it should speed up the loading time, I know I need to speed up my packing process somehow!! I also have a checkerplate floor so was undecided  to put the skids on the box or the floor, just a bit reluctant to put holes into the camper floor or are you thinking about glueing them. i also saw one the other day that had some ally angle mounted to the trailer floor as a guide to stop the box moving over, looked pretty effective. marine grade ply or standard? big $$$ difference.
 What type of CT do you have, I have a Lifestyle camper.

Steve
We have a customline. I plan to use an adhesive such as no-more-nails to attach whatever to the trailer floor rather than drilling the floor. 12mm ply from big green shed is what I was planning on, about $35per sheet. I have two large plastic storage boxes on the other side of the trailer which will stop the ply box from moving sideways too much. I did think about ally angle but have decided against it for a couple of reasons - extra cost of angle + skids - skids on floor will be less obstrusive (and less sharp edges) if I want to take the box out to fit semething large in.

Will be glueing, biscuiting and screwing the ply together, will probably also put some light steel corner brackets inside.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
OK Ive started on the kitchen build [ don't worry photo,s will come]

its basically a box 1800 x 450 x 450 ish ...16 mm base [ scrap ] and 12 mm back and sides[  all CD ply ] all glued and screwed  with 3 rows of double plastic drawers and a section for 1 or 2 plastic tubs. it is surprisingly light .and only took a few hours to build thanks to my father in laws workshop .just going over a leg set up . thinking of raiding one of my work horses as they have 2 colapsable legs which would be ideal . also thinking of some wheels on the legs. to make things easyer as well IE pull the kitchen out halfish way .. lower the legs then roll the rest out .
the kitchen will be on plastic type skids kinda like the drifta kitchens .

also thinking of adding a pull out extra bench type arrangement as well as a slide out box for the other side of the trailer .

now stupid question time ....

we use a  single burner gas stove [ cartridge type]which we use mostly for boiling the kettle  . now this will be sitting on top of the bench . is the rising heat from stoves a problem [ melting fly screens ] ? i notice that most cookers have a splash back arrangement . is this necessary ?

thanks

Craig
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:10:24 PM by craigtempo »