Author Topic: Boat people in Perth caravan park  (Read 4990 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Boat people in Perth caravan park
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »
ASYLUM seekers awaiting processing are staying in a caravan park in Perth's eastern suburbs.
The Immigration Department confirmed yesterday that about 20 people, including families, were staying at the Banksia Tourist Caravan Park in Hazelmere.

A spokesman for the department said the caravan park, 18km from the city, had been used to house asylum seekers for the past year.

The asylum seekers, believed to come from a range of countries including Afghanistan, include recent arrivals to Australia and others closer to being settled into the community.

"There are a bit over 20 people in there at the moment," an Immigration Department spokesman said. "They are people who are waiting for processing to be finished. They are families.

"There is probably a mix there. Some might have arrived recently, some might have been there quite a while."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The development comes a day after it was revealed that asylum-seeker families were being housed in dongas at a remote roadhouse in the Kimberley.

The group had stayed near the Willare Bridge Roadhouse, 50km south of Derby, earlier this week until they were transferred to permanent accommodation in Brisbane.

Dubbed a "tranquil traveller's paradise", the Banksia Tourist Caravan Park is on 6.9ha "surrounded by a splendid array of WA wildflowers and native birds", the park's website says.

It also says: "Just imagine relaxing in this wildflower and wildlife retreat enjoying WA fine wines from the Swan Valley, which is only 10 minutes away.

"Feel like you are in the country when you are only 18km from the centre of Perth and 10 minutes from both the domestic and international airports."

Prices range from $835 a week, or $170 a day, for a deluxe family chalet to $675 a week, or $117 a day, for a cabin with an ensuite. Children cost an extra $15 a day.

Powered tent sites cost up to $325 a week, or $48 each day, at the caravan park.

Banksia Tourist Caravan Park staff would not comment when asked about their "overseas" guests yesterday.

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
Re: Boat people in Perth caravan park
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:21:18 AM »
 >:(

""$117 a day, for a cabin with an ensuite""

Wish someone in Govt would pay me $117 a day
I believe they get paid a payment similar to the 'dole' also
You go to their country illeagerly and you may get a bullet  :-[

I believe we have totally gutless politicians who are out of touch with reality 

Offline ScottnRach

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:40:49 AM »
I wonder what happened to the boat people from Christmas island that ran amok and destroyed buildings.  According to the media they were moved to the mainland to reduce overcrowding.  I wonder what would happen to me, a tax paying Australian, if I disagreed with the Federal Government and burnt down buildings to get my point accross.....
I would be in Gaol in Australia and probably branded "unAustralian"

Unfortunately some of these people are probably genuine refugees, although I don't know why anyone that sought freedom from an oppressive regime would not just go to the nearest safe country, not travel dangerous seas and through possibly 5 safe countries to get to Australia.

Has anyone been charged with malicious damage, has anyone offered to pay for the damage????

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
Unfortunately some of these people are probably genuine refugees, although I don't know why anyone that sought freedom from an oppressive regime would not just go to the nearest safe country, not travel dangerous seas and through possibly 5 safe countries to get to Australia.

Probably because they know they will get treated like royalty here with free accommodation and receive free money just as the first post suggests!!!

Offline torsion

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
*ukin disgrace  >:(
I pay tax's on tax's on tax's and my tax's are used to fund this Shit...............
Than ontop, illegal immagrants trash and burn a Govt facility and still get process for Australian status............... *uck me if an Aussie did this he'd be put in jail..... But not these arse wipes, they'll hit the mainland and think they can do this Shit in society.
Is it any wonder why crime in this country is so *ucked........we are headed................up Shit creeeek.
This Gilard and Green Federal Govt needs to be hung out to dry.

Theirs only one political party that will put a stop to this BULLShit - Comin Tony.

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
*ukin disgrace  >:(
I pay tax's on tax's on tax's and my tax's are used to fund this ****...............
Than ontop, illegal immagrants trash and burn a Govt facility and still get process for Australian status............... *uck me if an Aussie did this he'd be put in jail..... But not these arse wipes, they'll hit the mainland and think they can do this **** in society.
Is it any wonder why crime in this country is so *ucked........we are headed................up **** creeeek.
This Gilard and Green Federal Govt needs to be hung out to dry.

Theirs only one political party that will put a stop to this BULL**** - Comin Tony.

I sort of agree but on the flip side to this there are loads of Aussies that carry on like this also, trash and burn their housing, dont get put in goal and were here for a long time before you and me. Massive problem in my home town at the moment and even after she said "sorry"!

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
I sort of agree but on the flip side to this there are loads of Aussies that carry on like this also, trash and burn their housing, dont get put in goal and were here for a long time before you and me. Massive problem in my home town at the moment and even after she said "sorry"!

Have to agree with you fully on that one (not that I ever disagreed anyway) but you have put it nicely

Look at some of the homes built for them and all you see is anything that can't be removed and burnt, in many instances the metal roof is used to make a 'humpy' in the bush and the timber used for their fire

Blame the dogooders who live in the city and never get out into their world for totally stupid decisions
Give them what they 'need' not what the dogooders believe they want, because they don't want a home as Anglo Saxons do, if they did they would not pull it apart and use it for firewood.

on the original subject - turn the boats round, send them back where they come from, or jail the skipper for maximum term in our worst jail which would be better than their best jail, maybe swap a few Aussies jailed over there for them.

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »
Thanks for comments. It's good to see this post still here, becos another forum moderated (censored) it on the grounds that it was off topic! A report about a certain caravan park and its residents is off topic in a caravanning/camping forum? We live in strange times. Mind you, reading the daily news of Canberra's latest idiocies shows just how strange the times are.
I am reminded of the lines by WB Yeats:

Come away O' human child
To the waters and the wild,
With a faery hand in hand,
Because the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
''Theirs only one political party that will put a stop to this BULL**** - Comin Tony.''

It reminds me of the speech by Pastor Martin Niemoller in the 40’s abouts the Nazi's

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

or the more contemporary version by Fat Mike

First they put away the dealers,
keep our kids safe and off the street.
Then they put away the prostitutes,
keep married men cloistered at home.

Then they shooed away the bums,
then they beat and bashed the queers,
turned away asylum-seekers,
fed us suspicions and fears.
We didn't raise our voice,
we didn't make a fuss.
It's funny there was no one left to notice
when they came for us.
Living the Dream.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »

Theirs only one political party that will put a stop to this BULL**** - Comin Tony.

As a person who deals with this on a daily basis it has not changed when either party was/are in control. The Liberal gov where just better at hiding it ;D.......Don't be sold with political retoric, nothing has changed in the last 10 years.....  >:(

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Don't be sold with political retoric

It's my experience that the only ppl 'sold' on "political retoric" are the soft minded & the politians themselves ;)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
It's my experience that the only ppl 'sold' on "political retoric" are the soft minded & the politians themselves ;)

Agree, though there are many suckers in the world....... ;D

PS: I'm not pro Labour or Liberal...... ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:38:59 AM by Teabag »
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »
If you want to do something about the situation, get elected and see if you can do a better job.

I for one don't have the time to be involved in politics and hence think that whinging about the problem is a little two faced. 

Don't whinge, get out there and do something - thats what our political "system" is for.
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
So I take it you don't vote at elections either BurnsOil?
Bob and Robyn

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
Right then.. I'll get a protest going while I'm at Curtain today. Lucky I'll be working in the bunker there so i should be safe  ;D Oh, and I'll see if I can get a petition going at Willare Road House while I get a Sausage Roll.

Hmm, Burnol. So you think we should have an opinion on this  ??? Every one is allowed one, doesn't mean you have to run for govermnet
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
Yes I vote.

Am I happy with the situation - No.

Can I make a difference, without being proactive - No.

Do I have the time or inclination, at this point in time, to be proactive - No.

I see no issue with an opinion, but when does an opinion stretches to a whinge?

In my view, the only significant way to influence change is to be proactive.
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.