Author Topic: What is the cost of living the dream  (Read 9475 times)

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
Re: What is the cost of living the dream
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
Kiwial
Don't forget you'll still have insurances, rego, health care, laundry, phone/internet, gas, haircuts, sight seeing etc to factor into the trip.

If you come up with any more info will you please share it with us.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
Being in real estate I will keep putting for sale signs up everywhere. Some sucker will come along and buy something.

Trust me!!! ;D ;D

Honest Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline hgmonaro

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:20 AM »
was interested to see how these 'rules' of thumb' applied to our 3mth, 1/2 lap back in 2007.

90c/km
$1482/week (all inclusive.. fuel, petrol, accom, souvenirs, tours, Heli ride)

by I take out expenses that we would have incurred if staying home (mostly kids sport and creche fees but including food, petrol and some things like gas, electricity & train travel)

28c/km
$457/week

ahh... that sounds better :)

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
6 mths and 23,000 klm trip in 08 cost us just on $30k , that included c/van parks 20% -free camping 75% and 5% the odd cabin / motel once per mth , also included breakdowns , attraction fees, food- dinning out, wine -beer , the odd fishing charter , scenic flights , helicopter flights fuel [ rabbit flat r/house was dearest @ $2.80lt ]  , also included a weeks yacht hire [$3k] at Cardwell on the way home ,, 2x adults 1x 9yr old boy ,,, would do it again in an instant , more fun and lots better than sitting at home typing on the computer.

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
These costs all appear to be holiday costs as opposed to living permanently in the van.  Can anyone give me an indication of costs per week etc for permanent van residence and travel please on average??

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
These costs all appear to be holiday costs as opposed to living permanently in the van.  Can anyone give me an indication of costs per week etc for permanent van residence and travel please on average??

Will depend on how far you travel each month - where you stay, caravan park or beach etc

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:37 AM »
I think everybodys trip will be differant as we are all differant ( I hope ).The figurse shown can only be a guide to what & where you do . How are you set up ? & what luxuries are to be included . If you fish a lot , food will be cheaper , include a freezer & you can buy food cheaper in a large town . A cryovac machine can save you doing meat in a larger center .
It mostly depends on your set up , so do a test run , 500 km or better work out you fuel consumption + 20% fudge factor . Average out fuel cost at 30% the current pump price .
Then stop trying to over plan & just go do it & addapt your a Swagger . Work & drink & wonder  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
Will depend on how far you travel each month - where you stay, caravan park or beach etc

Yes I am aware of this Mainey but what I am looking for is a general rule of thumb. How much do members  budget for fuel, groceries, laundry, vehicle maintenance, sight seeing etc? 

I am in preparation mode for this and at this point without having any first hand experience I am considering maybe $200 a week for food and general grocery items.  Is that realistic or not?

What is likely to crop up that is not expected?  What do you budget for, how much would you put away in kitty for the unexpected?

I know of people who travel and live solely on their pension.  Is that the norm??  How many members here live full time in their vans?

What percentage is free camping and what percentage is paid accommodation....most travelers I  think would keep some form of record of their expenditure.

If you are working....how long would you work for in general and how long would you travel/holiday for?

I am not looking for specifics just generalizations, trying to promote an open discussion about long term travel.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
When we did it we averaged $992/month all up on travel. That doesn't include back home expenses like the various insurances that we still maintained nor the rates on the renter anything else. It did cover all cost associated with the cruiser, camper, kids education, internet connection etc etc as well as regular food, fuel, entertainment type things.

We were Mum, Dad, 13yo pink one and 10yo blue one. Costs varied depending on the week. What we did, where we stayed etc.. there is no general number that can be applied however, what I can tell you is that the consensus around the campfires that I found myself at during 2009 was that $1000/week is normal for a family of 4 and generally a number somewhere near $750/week was what the grey nomads reported.

Now, this may be a result of the sort of campfires I attended too. People who travelled like us, people who we got to know. It is very possible, in fact probable that there are whole other lot hidden down goat tracks that spend nowhere near that and have a great time doing it.

It depends entirely on how you travel, what you like to see, the vehicle you drive (the ever increasing cost of fuel will impact this discussion), what or where you like to eat, grog (we don’t drink much nor do either of us smoke), how long you spend out bush as opposed to hanging out in paid accommodation. Even the sort of accommodation makes a huge difference.

In the big town/cities  you can camp powered from say $25/night to $50/night depending on where you stay. We tended to stay in the cheapies for 1 or 2 night stays and the dearer ones for the extended stays. That may seem counterintuitive but we figured if we are there for a week, we, well mainly the kids, would get the $50/night value out of the flash pool, the fancy games room and the big blow up bubble. Short stays, particularly O/N stays, were (if free wasn’t an option) the cheapest of the cheap. In at 5pm, out at 8:30am doesn’t allow you to get the most out of a good park. It was just a place to hold up on the drive.
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING