Author Topic: Kids and guns  (Read 8893 times)

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Kids and guns
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »
Incongruous.

Nah just Darren  :cheers: :cheers:

Manjimike
I left just before you, still love going back, got a daughter in Albury so I get up that way quite a bit

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »
I think that you need to have done national service before you qualify for unemployement benifit,
all kids should be taught safe firearms handling and have a healthy respect for what they can do and what they should be used for.
I grew up with a shot gun behind the kitchen door on the farm, and the one good thing about changes in the laws is that this practice has mostly gone now,my kids have a healthy respect for firearms and have/are learning to shoot correctly, both at the range and on the land (with handguns and long arms)
it is always the nut behind the butt that is the problem not the guns ..........

Why do you think this is a good thing?
As you said fireams were common when you grew up and you had a healthy respect for firearms.
If they were as common now do you think that the children of todays society would have the same respect for them???
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
I fired my first shot as a cadet on the rifle range at the high school I attended. I have never owned a firearm but have used plenty in the workplace. I have seen first hand what damge a firearm can do to another human and how dangerous weapons can be to the uneducated as a weapons instructor to reservists and the dangers of home made weapons when working with RAMSI.

Todays youth, generally have a lack of respect for each other and for authority which is why it is so hard to teach them how to do anything safely.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »
I fired my first shot as a cadet on the rifle range at the high school I attended. I have never owned a firearm but have used plenty in the workplace. I have seen first hand what damge a firearm can do to another human and how dangerous weapons can be to the uneducated as a weapons instructor to reservists and the dangers of home made weapons when working with RAMSI.

Todays youth, generally have a lack of respect for each other and for authority which is why it is so hard to teach them how to do anything safely.

Do we have an "understatement of the month" thread anywhere???
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »

Well said rescue1...

Offline Adventure Guy

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
Back in the day everyone shot animals, cooked them and ate them. We live in a Nanny State/Country now, we are so over governed its embarrassing.

I played cow boys and indians when I was a kid WITH TOY GUNS, as an adult I have never wanted to shoot anyone ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:23:16 PM by Adventure Guy »

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
I grew up with a shot gun behind the kitchen door on the farm, and the one good thing about changes in the laws is that this practice has mostly gone now,

Why do you think this is a good thing?
As you said fireams were common when you grew up and you had a healthy respect for firearms.
If they were as common now do you think that the children of todays society would have the same respect for them???

you can't have one rule for the city kids and another for the country kids, "accidents" still used to happen in the country, it's just the media never got hold of it then like they do now, I was more refering to uncles/grandads .22 in the back of the wardrobe etc etc, at least now in a decesead estate if a firearm appears it is more than likely put on the books or handed in, not just "relocated"

life is different now with the computer games and tv and the complaincey of firearms and violence, young men in their early 20's now would not ever volunter to go and fight for their country now as they did before WW1

I of all people don't personally agree with either buyback (espescially the 2nd one), if people talk of the buyback saving lifes and the amount of money spent, how many hospitals could have we built with same money and the crims kept their guns and the sportsman handed theirs in........

cheers
Garry

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
I was more refering to uncles/grandads .22 in the back of the wardrobe etc etc, at least now in a decesead estate if a firearm appears it is more than likely put on the books or handed in, not just "relocated"
life is different now with the computer games and tv and the complaincey of firearms and violence, young men in their early 20's now would not ever volunter to go and fight for their country now as they did before WW1
I of all people don't personally agree with either buyback (espescially the 2nd one), if people talk of the buyback saving lifes and the amount of money spent, how many hospitals could have we built with same money and the crims kept their guns and the sportsman handed theirs in........
cheers
Garry
I agree with what you say about decesead estates. Better the firearm get turned in and destroyed than go to someone unfamiliar with them.
I also agree with what you say about the criminal element of society having not turned in thier illegal firearms and having no intentions of  ever turning in thier illegal firearms. So much easier for them to commit crimes when they know they are the only ones with firearms...
Bill and Morag
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:09:17 AM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
How many guns from the failed buy back times never made it to the scrap heap and have since made used to commit crimes. Quite a lot.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
I have been shooting since i was about 7 when we went out to the relo's farm for weekends & i started my eldest shooting at 5 on the same property, he is now 10 & wants to move on from targets to live game.

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »

Well said rescue1...

Thats not saying it can't be done, it just seems that what could be done from the opposite side of the patrade ground 20 years ago now needs to be done at less than 1m, volume remains the same however.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
How many guns from the failed buy back times never made it to the scrap heap and have since made used to commit crimes. Quite a lot.

I don't agree with this statement,
and cannot find any justification for a statement like this, I would like to see some facts

the first buyback applied to rifles and shotguns only (semis and pumps) and the second applied to handguns (calibre, mag capacity & barrel length), both BUYBACKS, (don't get this confused with an amnesty), bought back registered and legitimatly owned firearms only and very few "illegal" firearms were handed in at the same time,
the crims kept their guns and most guns from the handgun buyback were destroyed, the only ones not put thru the crushers were kept for historical reasons or balistic purposes (in police hands). I personaly know of some that were kept by the police (still bought back) and it was a slightly different paperwork chase at the time

I posed the question on a firearms forum if anyone could cite any "buyback guns" used in crimes and no-none could come up with any examples, neither could I after an extensive search

I hear quite often of firearms used in crimes (as we all do) but these guns will most probably never be 100% removed from the community,

sporting shooters respect their sport and do the utmost to stay within the laws as they don't want to risk their sport

lets all go camping
cheers
Garry

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
+1 On Garry. Unless you are prepared to back statements like that up with empirical facts you should not make them. It has often been said that guns don't kill people. People kill people. People who commit violent crimes or involved in organised criminal activity will often have sourced out the firearm/s either through the black market or stolen them and subsequently modified the firearm. The buy back and amnesty only affected licenced firearm holders or those who for one reason or another had wound up with a firearm in their possession.
If you have facts and figures to back your statement up, then please, feel free to submit them.