Author Topic: Kids and guns  (Read 8892 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Kids and guns
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Looks like the anti-gun lobby are at it again on the back of the duck hunting protestor who was shot in the face the other weekend. I was taught by my father at a young age on my grandparents' property how to shoot and how to respect a firearm. According to the 'research' in the article below that means I should be a gun owner now, wrong. I don't mind firing off a few rounds when I am in the US, but I have no need or desire to own a firearm. Thoughts...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion-old/children-and-guns-not-a-good-mix/story-fn56b2fi-1226028714261

For 15 years Philip Alpers has investigated the public health effects of guns. So I asked the University of Sydney scientist his thoughts on this claim that it was essential to educate children early about guns.

Prof Alpers said it was a way of maintaining the tradition.

And research confirms that the single most reliable pointer of gun ownership is whether your father had a gun.

"It is a cultural value handed down from father to son."

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:38:33 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: Kids and guns
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
D4D
like you i was also taught from a very early age about fire arms from my father. i have a healthy respect for all guns cause like you i saw just what they could do.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline gonfishen

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
I was taught to safely use a gun by my father and i owned a few guns as a young bloke, then i joined the army and they gave me lots of guns to use, and after i had used them they made me clean them, and clean them, and just when i thought it was clean, the QM made me clean it again and i had to march with them and carry them, and clean them, I don't ever want to see another gun again, to all of you want to have a gun join the army LOL
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline Sparkdog99

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
I to was taught how to respect and shoot a gun at a young age (15). I was taught at a rifle range under constant adult supervision and plan on teaching my son the same. If he chooses not to take up the sport thats fine as long as he knows how to safely handle a gun should he ever  be near one. 

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
I was taught to safely use a gun by my father and i owned a few guns as a young bloke, then i joined the army and they gave me lots of guns to use, and after i had used them they made me clean them, and clean them, and just when i thought it was clean, the QM made me clean it again and i had to march with them and carry them, and clean them, I don't ever want to see another gun again, to all of you want to have a gun join the army LOL

So if the army made you carry and clean fishing rods, would your user name be "gonshootin"? ;D

My dad had guns when I was a kid, and he gave me one when I was 15 for use only on a friends property. I even took a rifle in a hard case as hand luggage on a train from Sydney to Guyra for two weeks on my uncles place east of Guyra. It was a lonely trip. No one spoke or even looked at me the whole trip. ??? ???

Anyway, that was thrity years ago, before Martin Bryant and Ivan Milat.
Things are different now.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Manjimike

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
I used to get my Mum to drop me off in Glenrowan Vic on a Friday night after work and I would hike back along the Warby Ranges to Wangaratta by Sunday night. I always carried a single shot bolt action .22 with my hiking gear - couldn't get away with that now. That was the early 70's

:cheers:
Mike

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
I was taught to use a rifle at the age of 11 on the foster farm i was sent to, this was to provide food for us all over a period of time including roo and top knot pigeons. I got my X rifles at Kapooka in 72 using an SLR #647027, in 95 i was given a probable perfect score with a 351 Ruger hand gun. I shot a snake with a one shot hit to the head with a 22 when it went my 2yo son in 1979. I was taught to track roos by an aboriginal tracker called nugget and a whistle would get them to pop their heads up and bang food for a few days.

I am a pacifist and have never hurt a soul in my life, except in self defence, to this day i am glad i know how to use rifles and handguns.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
Just need to watch out for these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJBbtkBMMs

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
I used to get my Mum to drop me off in Glenrowan Vic on a Friday night after work and I would hike back along the Warby Ranges to Wangaratta by Sunday night. I always carried a single shot bolt action .22 with my hiking gear - couldn't get away with that now. That was the early 70's

:cheers:
Mike

Small world Manjimike, my brother and I spent our early days in the Warby Ranges rabbiting with ferrets and 22's around the same time, used to live in Wang. My older brother taught me to shoot in my early teens and have been shooting ever since, taught my kids to shoot and respect guns.
Running around a duck swamp in front of guns aint really the safest thing you could do on opening morning though

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »

My dad had a gun, but I hardly ever saw him use it ... although I he did on occassion ... Curried Bunny ... Yum!  We always knew where he kept it (in parts around the house) just in case ... having never shot a gun I have doubts I'd have been able to put it together to use it and then not injure myself.  

I do believe that guns don't kill people, people do ...

Kit_e
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:31:40 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
I have hunted with rifles and pistols since I big enough for my Dad to teach me to use them.
I have had more rifles and pistols than I could even begin to remember.
I sold them all before moving over here.
Even in the Army with all the cleaning I had to do to them it never bothered me.
If it wasnt such a pain in the butt to own firearms here I' am sure I would have a few for hunting alongside my bows.
In fact to be completley honest I miss owning firearms...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Just need to watch out for these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJBbtkBMMs

This is GOLD,

mate, ya gotta post this up in the ''cattle in the high country thread'',

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
This is GOLD,

mate, ya gotta post this up in the ''cattle in the high country thread'',

Too late, locked. :-[

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:50 PM »
i purchased my first shotgun when i was 15 after a mate of my fathers gave me a shot at a 44 gallon drum up our back paddock,i still shoot today with a passion at clays,i hunt foxes with A PASSION TO GET RID OF THE EVIL LITTLE BASTARDS(62 last year and 17 so far this year)by whistleing,i spotlight rabbits to cull and to eat and other animals to put in sausages and casseroles etc.i shoot ducks to eat only(not for fun) and im yet to find an interest that hold my sons and stepson together as well as my girls and my stepdaughter.it gets us up early in the morning,it gets us walking in the bush to see all of mother natures best,it provides great food and knowledge of true conservation and with camping and fishing thrown in to the picture,what more do i want in my"off time".Im 50 now and im yet to see all i want to see,but im content that ive seen a lot.Good training and genuine one on one time will give our kids good grounding in safety and gun handleing,what is just as important is knowing our kids have a good social attitude and respect for our fellow humans and non acquisition animals safety and peace.   I lost a 29 year old sister to a gunshot murder in 1992 on april 8th so its very near her 19th anniversary.Her recent ex boyfriend walked into her work and shot her because "if i cant have you,no-one can" it was his evil,careless detached lack of human connection that allowed him todo what he did to another human being,not the fact that he used a gun that he had gotten illegally,cut down illegally and then used illegally on another human being infront of kind hearted fellow workers.  i live with one leg on either side of the fence,not because of guns but because we have amongst us people who are not allways human,and that is what good quality family time can help sort out. sorry for my rant. Danny.

The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
and also the melbourne herald sun  published a withdrawal today re the young fella and the idiot who walks in front of loade firearms.danny
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Manjimike

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
Small world Manjimike, my brother and I spent our early days in the Warby Ranges rabbiting with ferrets and 22's around the same time, used to live in Wang.
Hi Macca,
I left Wang in 73 and have lived away since then, but I love that area.

cheers Mike

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
I also have a good time getting rid of a few hundred rounds while in Phoenix AZ. I have mates with at least 20-30 gun each but they are careful and all that.

I grew up with guns from a young age as my Dad shot deer and duck, rabbit etc and I had my gun licence at 12. Owned a 270, 22 and shot gun by 15 and used to love the weekends away shooting pigs or up the mountain deer shooting, that was the South Island of NZ, that's what we did.

My kids now ask about getting a gun. Usually because of the PlayStation games, they have no idea what harm can really be done. I wold like to take them out for a shot and see how he goes but I'm also worried for his sole if he was to shot some thing. I think I will take him to a shooting range so he can feel the gun and try it but with out those core values we grew up with I just don;t know
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:38 AM »
You bring up a good point Steve, kids are desensitised to guns and the capabilities due to video games. I think your idea of a supervised shoot is a good one.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:57:03 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I think that you need to have done national service before you qualify for unemployement benifit,
all kids should be taught safe firearms handling and have a healthy respect for what they can do and what they should be used for.
I grew up with a shot gun behind the kitchen door on the farm, and the one good thing about changes in the laws is that this practice has mostly gone now,
my kids have a healthy respect for firearms and have/are learning to shoot correctly, both at the range and on the land (with handguns and long arms)
it is always the nut behind the butt that is the problem not the guns ..........

Offline jasonw

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
i wanna be a redneck  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkM2Se3tqaU
jimboomba excalaber camper

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
This is what we all should strive for
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:46:54 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »
Maybe natural selection may help
Living the Dream.

UIZ733

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Incongruous.

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
I used to do a fair bit of shooting out west, semi pro bunny and fox. Did the occasional cull on roos. What I really had a passion for shooting was feral cats. How I hate them and what they have done to our native species. I would love to have a bit of the idiot who release a thousand or two of them into the wild to help control the rabbit population. Pigs are another thing I don't mind wandering into my crosshairs. I don't shoot roos anymore, mind you I haven't been shooting for a few years, but as you get older I feel you appreciate life more or at least I do.