Author Topic: Economy with a CT  (Read 21689 times)

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Economy with a CT
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »
I am going to sound a bit ignorant but what is a 1hz apart from being 1 hertz. they seem as thirsty as all get out.

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
1hz is a reliable old school motor. It powers a vehicle that is big and has plenty of room. Don't try and compare it to a small/medium sized vehicle. Mine returns 17L ph towing and I got roof rack, drawers and 33's ect and it's always loaded to the hilt. I recon it's doing ok fuel wise.

We also own a CRDI upspec Terracan that returns 8L per hundred and has plenty of power but it does not even get a look in for our trips away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »
I am going to sound a bit ignorant but what is a 1hz apart from being 1 hertz. they seem as thirsty as all get out.

Xtrailer,

They are the 4.0L diesel engine found in the old 80 series land cruiser.  Don't get me wrong, they are a solid motor, but can be very thirsty - like mine was.

BJ
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
No one likes a show off!  ;)

Reckon my best is around 12-13.

:cheers:

Craig

Remember I have a sedan not an urban assault vehicle lol. that would make a lot of difference

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
thanks for the education. That will be one motor I WONT be buying lol.

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
Xtrailer,

They are the 4.0L diesel engine found in the old 80 series land cruiser.  Don't get me wrong, they are a solid motor, but can be very thirsty - like mine was.

BJ

Well, not quite right. They are a 4.2 lt natrually aspirated diesel engine that was built to last, unlike these new common rail engines.
They were found in 80 and 105 series cruisers as well as troopys and tray backs.
I reacon around 16l/100kms isnt to bad considering the large vehicle they are, usually with camper on back and modified to the hilt(as most are).
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
I have a 4L Prado V6. bullbar, BFG 270/70/17 tyres. I get 18-20 l/100km fully laden with the CT on the back. Worst I got was 26 driving from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta into a headwind all day. Normally get 16-17 driving around town in Sydney peakhour traffic on the M2.

Mal

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
Boy am I glad I didnt get a 100 series as a daily drive. Diesel prices now would be killing me. >:(
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
We have a 3.5 litre petrol auto Monterey (Jackaroo with gay alloys), and drag a 1.25 tonne loaded CT.
We recently got 65mpg ( I need to reset the scangauge to metric) on a run of 6 kilometres, boy was I impressed, but  that is only coming down the Toowoomba range towards Brisbane.
The rest of the time we average 15 to 16 l/100k travelling around 90kph on real roads, but that jumps to 18l/100k at 100kph.
Dirt roads are around 15l/100k at 80kph, probably due to corrugations and tyre slip, and roads around St George returns around 45 litres/100k, because the bumps are so bad, the revs increase significantly when all the wheels are off the ground.
The vehicle has a snorkel for improved breathing, and the exhaust restrictors are removed and a semi sports muffler installed for improved flatulence relief.
Head winds, hills etc obviously results in worse figures.
Cheers

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
Hi xtrailer,

I have a 2010 Triton GLX-R, stock tyres and same CT as you.  Last trip was from Liverpool area to Lake Conjola and back up to Maitland area (CT attached the whole time).  Achieved approx 10-10.8lt/100kms (Mt Ousley included in this trip plus F3 doing between 90-110kms/hr).

Generally get about 7-9lt/100km without CT depending on destination.

TJ  ;D
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline shellharbourdove

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »
Hi
I have a 120 D4D 3ltr Prado and tow a Jayco outback Dove. Fully loaded, tank full of water, bikes on back, and with a roof rack on the Prado carrying spare wheel, we get 15-16 ltrs per 100kms. We are not retired yet so don't have time to drive at 80kms p/hr, we drive to the speed limit. So, basically happpy, but if we were not so hamstrung with time, would love to discover what we could actually get by slowing down. Michael
2013 GXL Landruiser 79
2007 GXL Prado diesel
2015 Jayco Penguin Outback

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
Our Disco diesel was getting around 15l to 17l/100k until we found a problem with the power upgrade file we had been using, so we emaled the company and they sent us out a new file, now it's back to normal, depending on the terrain and my right boot, between 12l to 15l/100k 3" over size tyres, 1.4t camper, not bad I think.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »
by Blinky Bill
Nice looking CT you got there bobnrob,
She looks like an off roader & so I guess one day there'll be a 4x4 towing it?

Sold as semi off-road Wayne - means it has an extra leaf in the springs  ::)   :laugh:
No 4x4 down the road, minister reckons she'd never see me  >:D
But will be going for something with more ground clearence so we don't have to stick to the black ribbon. Something along the lines of Outlander, Territory etc
Bob and Robyn

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
Well, not quite right. They are a 4.2 lt natrually aspirated diesel engine that was built to last, unlike these new common rail engines.
They were found in 80 and 105 series cruisers as well as troopys and tray backs.
I reacon around 16l/100kms isnt to bad considering the large vehicle they are, usually with camper on back and modified to the hilt(as most are).
stand corrected re the size...  All I know is it sucked a lot of juice around town! :)
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
We have a 3.5 litre petrol auto Monterey (Jackaroo with gay alloys), and drag a 1.25 tonne loaded CT.
We recently got 65mpg ( I need to reset the scangauge to metric) on a run of 6 kilometres, boy was I impressed, but  that is only coming down the Toowoomba range towards Brisbane.
LOL Funny man. I could do better than than down Mt Ousley I bet as the fuel will turn off on the decent down hill runs. Without the CT on the back I get around 8.5 or less dependent on the terrain. The best I have got out of the 3.8L is 7.9L/100 on a run down the F3 to Sydney, but I reckon I could do better on the level road out west.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Prado 150 D4D, Towing the camper (900-1000kg) for 500k out of 1100 we got around 11l/100km
Got a trip coming up where we will tow for all the trip and will see then. But for now happy, very happy
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »
You would be happy with those figures in a Prado. What did you do on the other 600kms?

Offline peteandkyles

• Swag User
  • Prado 2008 GXL & 2010 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »
I have a 4L Prado V6. bullbar, BFG 270/70/17 tyres. I get 18-20 l/100km fully laden with the CT on the back. Worst I got was 26 driving from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta into a headwind all day. Normally get 16-17 driving around town in Sydney peakhour traffic on the M2.

Mal

I have a 3.0 D4D 08 Prado and I get aroung 10.5 -11 l/100 not towing, but with roof rack siting on 110km/h all day. Goes up to about 11.5 in the city. Towing the KK and follu loaded from a holiday into head wind up toward Roxby with kids push bikes on the roofrack we get about 14 l/100. Add to that roadworks in western Victoria last week and we got our worst even of 15.8 l/100. Head wind, constant stopping and starting and long sections of 40km/h, not good for fuel consumption.

One thing I did notice with the Prado is the day we added the roof rack our average consumption jumped by about 1.5 l/100.

We also have a 2.8D 97 Hilux that we towed our old 700kg soft floor camper and when we hit head winds we would use up to 16.5 l/100 and max speen would be around 80km/h. So quite happy with the Prado even though it is not as bullet proof as the old motors were. The old motors might use more, but we had water above the stearing wheel inside the Hilux some years back and she still ran and runs even today. The guy down the street drove his on 3 cylinders in 45C heat for 270km to get home. Can't do that with modern cars.

Oh my god this is meant to be the desert!! Where did this water come from?

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »
Hi xtrailer,

I have a 2010 Triton GLX-R, stock tyres and same CT as you.  Last trip was from Liverpool area to Lake Conjola and back up to Maitland area (CT attached the whole time).  Achieved approx 10-10.8lt/100kms (Mt Ousley included in this trip plus F3 doing between 90-110kms/hr).

Generally get about 7-9lt/100km without CT depending on destination.

TJ  ;D
That is fantastic. I take it that it is a diesel? We wouldn't mind a 4WD for our big trip but were turned off by the fuel consumption figures. Having said that, that may be a 2WD triton too.

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 07:07:14 AM »
Our Disco diesel was getting around 15l to 17l/100k until we found a problem with the power upgrade file we had been using, so we emaled the company and they sent us out a new file, now it's back to normal, depending on the terrain and my right boot, between 12l to 15l/100k 3" over size tyres, 1.4t camper, not bad I think.

Baz.
3L/100K is a significant difference over a tank. I bet you notice the difference in the hip pocket too with fuel prices being what they are! So much for technology sometimes lol!!

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »
Towing the KK and follu loaded from a holiday into head wind up toward Roxby with kids push bikes on the roofrack we get about 14 l/100. Add to that roadworks in western Victoria last week and we got our worst even of 15.8 l/100. Head wind, constant stopping and starting and long sections of 40km/h, not good for fuel consumption.

One thing I did notice with the Prado is the day we added the roof rack our average consumption jumped by about 1.5 l/100.
I am not a fan of roof racks for that reason as it knocks the drag coefficient ratio to the billyo. Even if you have a rack on the CT it is better. You can make a pretty cheap wind deflector too for the trailer which will help with fuel consumption.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 07:35:05 AM »
3L/100K is a significant difference over a tank. I bet you notice the difference in the hip pocket too with fuel prices being what they are! So much for technology sometimes lol!!

Yes we do, I think that the first file he sent was more about power and not about torque for towing, at the moment we are looking like our fuel economy without the camper is going to be a very good tank, this new file seems to have more torque, it's down a bit on excelleration, but seems to hold the hills a bit better, will be interesting to see how the economy turns out.

The reason for the power upgrade, was because of the increase in tyre size and the weight of the camper, winch, roof racks, drawers in the back, it's amazing how much you loose when adding all these things.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Thanks jtraf you just made me feel better....my 4.2TD (non turbo) Maverick manual is getting those same figures towing our 1.2T CT all fully laden and running 33" tyres. I thought there was something wrong with it...now I'm not thinking so.

Normally around town it will do 12.5 to 13 per 100k and anly a tad better on the highway (not towing). I found that speed makes a difference too so we sit on around 90 to 95 on the open road.

Hey Vince,

My beast usually goes through 15-16lt around town unladen.  Have always looked at the guys driving manuals reporting between 10lt and 14lt per hundred and it makes me cringe.....Mine being auto does not gear it up for the same economy and it works harder when loaded.  It doesn't help that it has all the offroad gear installed as well as a 3in lift.....With the loaded trailer in tow I usually sit at around 90-100kays max but will be looking into diff ratio change in the coming months and a jump to 285/75/16 muds for an up coming trip....

Have looked at other more frugal cars but they will cost me a lot out of pocket and I own the GQ outright....it is low kays just over 200k......it it reliable......it is mechanical not electrical.........it does what I need it to do even thoguh it chews more feul.....

Looked at a new 76series which was just under $70k drive away........but $70k buys a lot of deisel for the Patrol!!!
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
Hi xtrailer.

You could always get a Prius with a motorbike trailer to tow the camping gear behind. That would be good on fuel. Especially if you dont drive faster that 60kph to the caravan park.

Just don't forget to put vasaline on the FM radio antenna. It helps the air slip around it and reduce drag.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I got rid of mine...  We used to average around 16.6 with 50/50 suburb and highway.

We now have a 3L TD 2010 hilux and with stock standard tyres we get around 8.5L around town with no air con, 9.5 with air con.  Towing lifestyle extenda with 265/75R16 MT's we get around 10L/100 around town...  One very happy camper!  (pun intended!)

BJ

I have gone the other way as I use to own a 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel ute which gave an average economy around 9L per 100kms around town and without the Camper attached.

This was a fantastic 4WD, but when towing the Camper I didn’t feel confident doing remote trips as just didn’t have the torque for long soft sand patches. Also on the road the trailer bounced the ute around and felt like it was the tail wagging the dog so to say.

I have since changed to a Landcruiser with the 1HZ which gives 12L around town and enough torque to feel confident to tackle these long soft sand patches with ease. Also on the road the bouncing has reduced to what you expect from towing a trailer.

Yes the 1HZ is a old fashion slug, but it’s a reliable slug which that just keeps on going.

Seeing my do a lot of beach driving I don’t keep economy records when towing as the sand throws the economy out. We also run the motor at night for the showers via the heat exchange which also eats into the fuel.

But we all have our reasons   :D