Author Topic: Margin for error on speeding reduced to zero  (Read 10356 times)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
Re: Margin for error on speeding reduced to zero
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
My apologies officer I must have taken my eyes off the speedo for a second to glance at the road.
;D :D :D Good quote  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Disco EMU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
The NSW Police simply don't have the numbers or time to pull over a driver doing 1, 2 or 3 kph over the limit ... They'll still be after the idiots doing 10, 15 or 20 over.
It's one thing for the pollies to come up with these new laws and another for them to be enforced.
The answer is pretty simple ... Do the right thing, use common sense and the cops won't look twice at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig
2000 Landrover Discovery Series II TD5
2001 Jayco Finch

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »
Hi Craig,
Macquarie Bank has bought this off the Government, so they have all the resources to chase you for 1k over. 380 million I read somewhere they paid for it.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline scoot

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »
"Truck drivers put up with this behaviour every day.Motorists travelling at 85-90 until they get to an overtaking lane & then speeding up to 100 so the truck cant get around - as soon as overtaking lane ends they slow down to 85-90."

You too? I thought I must have been imagining it, but it just happens too often when I'm driving my small truck. I have found that the easiest way to reduce stress when driving is to slow down and let the semis pass as they can really move on the flats and five minutes later they are out of sight. Wish more people would realise this.

What annoys me is that the limit on the Newell has been reduced to 100 which means I spend all day on the straight parts checking my speedo trying to stay under while on the Castlereagh the limit is 110! The Castlereagh is in disrepair and will kill you at that speed if you don't know the road. When speed limits are not about safety people become (more) cynical about the law.

Scoot

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
One of the nice things about the motorways I travel on around South Africa is that many of them have a minimum as well as a maximum speed limit. Not that its much of a problem as the locals almost always pull to the side for a faster vehicle.

What might shock those that travel through Holsworthy in Sydney is that on the roads through the Army base you can be booked by an MP and I know of at least one driver who lost his licence on one road ther and he was only travelling at 60 km/hr. He didn't read the signs at each of the entrances advising of the lower speed limit and right of way changes when there are troops marching....

Offline Adventure Guy

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
Hi Craig,
Macquarie Bank has bought this off the Government, so they have all the resources to chase you for 1k over. 380 million I read somewhere they paid for it.

Yes this makes me angry, the NSW government contracts Redflex a private company from the United States, for controlling their mobile speed cameras, this company has major banks in Australia like the NAB and Macquarie buying Redflex shares.

Before the East Link freeway was open in Victoria, the government had already done budget forecast on the revenue generated from the speed cameras. So they take this income into their running budget, not their surplus !!

All a very lucrative business with deceitful overtones

You are correct
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:02:49 PM by Adventure Guy »

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 04:56:52 AM »
Looks like the new Gov is going to change the Zero tolerance on speeding camera's.
Stoner brings back room for error on speeding
Good Stuff :cup:

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
Wow commonsense prevails, there should be more Ministers like Mr Stoner :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
Wow commonsense prevails, there should be more Ministers like Mr Stoner :cup:
He's the member in the Coffs Harbour electorate near us. He's been fighting to have the Pathetic Highway upgraded for many many years, a big campaigner for road safety.  Like most of us on the north coast, he has had friends and family Killed on this section of highway and now he has the chance to do something about it.
Well done I reckon.
 :cup:

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 07:29:09 AM »
He's the member in the Coffs Harbour electorate near us. He's been fighting to have the Pathetic Highway upgraded for many many years, a big campaigner for road safety.  Like most of us on the north coast, he has had friends and family Killed on this section of highway and now he has the chance to do something about it.
Well done I reckon.

He was also the guy who fought hard against the introduction of the suspension laws.

I voted for him the other day.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »
We bought a new car, a Fiesta and we noticed that the speedo was out.
When checking with te TomTom it is showing 5 kms more then actual speed.
I contacted the dealer and they told me "It is within the legal limits. Saves you paying for fines"
He even said that the GPS is wrong as well and his explanation was that when you see a street on the GPS it is not in the same location as the real world.
I told him that that was the map, not the GPS system.
So now we are adding 5 kms on the speedo and we are doing the correct speed.
Very annoying.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
We bought a new car, a Fiesta and we noticed that the speedo was out.
When checking with te TomTom it is showing 5 kms more then actual speed.
I contacted the dealer and they told me "It is within the legal limits. Saves you paying for fines"
He even said that the GPS is wrong as well and his explanation was that when you see a street on the GPS it is not in the same location as the real world.
I told him that that was the map, not the GPS system.
So now we are adding 5 kms on the speedo and we are doing the correct speed.
Very annoying.

I'm sure the margin is 10%, but a speedo cannot read less than your actual speed, so in fact the margin is that it can read 10%, but not under. Be insistent on this, it's too much money and inconvenience to pay fines and potentially lose one's license for something that is not your choice.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
To be specific: when the speedo says 50, our actual speed is 45
Speedo 90, actual 85
Speedo 110, actual 105.

So it is overreading, telling us we are 5 kms faster then we actually do.
That's why we add 5 kms on the speedo reading to match the actual speed.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
So much anger and so many valid reasons for it!!
OK I have to agree with everyone (almost, sorry people do make honest mistakes and shouldn't lose their mortgage to a greedy govt because they have gone a tad over the limit. "Just don't speed" just doesn't cut it with reality!).
I too really hate the people who go really slow and then when they hit the overtaking lanes speed up so that noone can overtake only to slow down again when the lane ends. I have driven trucks too (albeit tonka toys lol) but let me tell you a good story. We were south bound on the Princes Hwy south of Nowra somewhere and we were towing a boat behind a large 4 cylinder. I always keep an eye in my mirrors for a build up of cars and when safe and appropriate, I move over and wave them past. When it comes to overtaking lanes I actually slow down a bit to ensure that most if not all cars get past. This day I was being held up by a car driving like a complete idiot going so slow. They came to the overtaking lanes he stayed in the fast lane and you guessed it, they sped up!! I gave it as much as I could and was barely gaining on them as I was muttering obscenities under my breath. The cars behind probably couldn't see much due to the height of the boat. They gave it enough to keep in front as the lane was ending. It was then that I saw the car behind me with red and blue lights. Great I thought, he thinks I am holding everyone up. So I pull over to the left a bit so that he can see the car in front of me. He must have been really p1$$ed off because he went around me straight away and wheeled the mobile chicane on the spot. There was lots of tooting and flashing as the queue passed this moronic excuse for a driver. OK that is only one idiot but it was great to watch. You just know he got a "not keep left unless overtaking" infringement and a good talking to!
What do you call a car driver who brakes in front of a truck at a speed camera?
A speed bump!! :cup: :cheers:
'

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Well done I reckon.

Andrew Stoner is the Member for Oxley, Andrew Fraser is the Member for Cowper, which includes Coffs harbour.  Close but no cigar

either way it is a good result   :cup:
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
To be specific: when the speedo says 50, our actual speed is 45
Speedo 90, actual 85
Speedo 110, actual 105.

So it is overreading, telling us we are 5 kms faster then we actually do.
That's why we add 5 kms on the speedo reading to match the actual speed.
I've noticed the same thing on both our cars, speedo reads 5 to 10% lower than speed confirmed by GPS and roadworks radar displays. Took the same GPS to USA in and placed in a hire car, speed was bang on with the speedo reading. I always drive by the GPS speed and so far no tickets ; )

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
I remember going through a fixed speed camera on the way home from a long shift. I go through it every time I go to work and then some. I was just too tired and forgot. The flash woke me up a bit. I went home to break the news to the wife. She said I have something to tell you. She sounded a bit sheepish so I let her go first. She told me that she went through another different speed camera on the way home from work and got flashed. I just laughed and told her my story. Oh well, I said, we will just have to wait for the tickets in the mail. Well days turned into weeks turned into months and now over a year has gone by and neither of us got a ticket. It was dumb ass luck but also just goes to show that not every camera shell has a camera in it.