Author Topic: Single Mum round Oz trip net year - need advice re: camper trailer  (Read 10525 times)

Offline evans52

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Single Mum round Oz trip net year - need advice re: camper trailer
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
G'day Sam,

We have a soft floor Camper Trailer 7 x 5 and is quiet easy to set up. Folds out sideways. With yourself at the front and the two boys at the back, lifting it should be quiet easy. My wife and I are up onb the bed and our 2 Monsters (2 & 6) sleep on their camping beds in the fold out part. The Annexe section we use for cooking, sitting etc.

As for the car, maybe find a car on dedicated gas or duel fuel. We bought ourselves a "new" car before our trip the other week. An 08 ("new" for us) BF Ford Falcon Sedan on dedicated gas. We drove from Adelaide to Tocumwal (NSW) to Bendigo (Vic) then back to Adelaide and spent just under $400 on gas for the whole trip. We travelled just over 3,500km's. On Petrol or Diesel you'd be looking around $1,000 possibly more just on Fuel.

Enjoy!

PS - As mentioned, I have a 2 and a 6 year old. Do you want to take them with you and bring them back when they grow up?....................Please?  ;-)

Offline SamP

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
So much awesome info!
I have a friend who is happy for me to borrow their camper trailer for the June weekend, so looks like I might be "in"!!! Yay!
As for borrowing a 2 and 6 year old - no worries - $22/hour each ;)

I think just trying out a camper trailer is probably the best idea - and If I come up and hang with you awesome axe murderers, I'll either be educated or dead by the end of the weekend - either way, there should be some resolution :)
Thanks again so much!!
It feels great to be so welcomed.
cheers!

Offline MrWilson

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Queensland Ambulance Servise
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 02:56:22 AM »
Hi Sam

I recently sold my old 4WD for $15k. It was a 1999 Pajero TD with 250,000km on the clock.
I had upgraded the suspension, had a duel battery system, cargo barier & bull bar. It was very capable for virtually anything off road without going extreme.

My point is you can buy a capable 4WD that will drag a trailer around without needing to spend a fortune. It'll take you off down a dirty track & get you back.

We started of as tent dwellers with all the extra goodies to make life nice for camping with 2 kiddies. The Pajero loaded everything well, was economical tourer & was still able to drag our camper trailer around all our holiday destinations in SA, Vic, NSW & Qld.

We have upgraded the car to do more touring & go more extreme as the kids are now bigger & we needed more space for our planned expeditions otherwise we would have kept the old Pajero as it was still going strong.

Do some looking around & see what you can find in a 4WD, then do the same with the camper trailer. Happy travels & if youre up this way happy to point you to some good locations for you to stay.

MrWilson
2006 4.2 GU Patrol, BullBar, HID Lights, OME Suspension, Snorkel, Duel Batteries, Roof rack, Challenge Camper Trailer ... & a long wish list ...

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »
Sam   Mr Wilson is on the money as for 12/16K you can get yourself into a Pajero Exceed  ( Top of the Wosser ) . With really very little drama an ex lease rig with all the service hastory can take you & the anckel biters almost anywhere . I am on my 4th Paj & they just get better & better . Put the $ into the tow rig  & the rest will follow so to speak . Oh get your own axe OK ..
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline dragonsgirl

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
Hi Sam goodluck with your adventures we too are planning our big trip just not sure at this stage when.  We have a soft floor oztrail 12 and love it however there is 6 of us and I wouldnt be able to put up and down on my own.  The company we bought ours from do a smaller version which has the oztrail 7 which would be perfect for your family my husband and I always say when the kids leave thats what we will get sets up super quick and easy.  And easily done by one person.  It also sits on a smaller trailer so would easily be towed by your current car.  And as its on a smaller trailer you dont have to climb up to the bed its easier to get into.  This camper trailer comes in at under $4k brand new.  It has all the same features as our larger one just smaller tent with full annex might be worth looking at.

Dragonsgirl and Dash60
AKA
Wendie & Darrell

Blog: www.campingwiththehumes.blogspot.com