Author Topic: Doing the Cape  (Read 5704 times)

Offline woody too

• Swag User
Doing the Cape
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
G'day all,
               I have been reading all the posts regarding the members trip and have gleaned lots of information, I have always wanted to go to the Cape and now I find I( or should I say we) have the opportunity, we will travel alone towing our 15' on road pop top van.  The exciting thing is we will be leaving Mackay next Wednesday the 11th, we will go to Giru and hang a left to the Towers then north to Atherton and keep going north. Will do Cooktown and Cairns on the way south, the PDR is the best we can hope to do.  We havn't booked any ware, so just hopeing for the best. We will watch out for you all after Laura as I think we will be in that area at about the same time you are. 
Just thought I'd mention at this time I reckon this is the most informative, friendly and funny forum I have ever seen.
Hope we get to camp alongside you all at some stage.
Regards Woody

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Doing the Cape
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »

Woody

pm me your itinerary

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
Hi Woody, the PDR will be getting rough by then, make sure you drop your van's pressures as well as the tug's...take it easy & enjoy the trip.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
G'day Hem, thank you for your response, we will definitely be dropping our tyre pressures and I am sure we will have a ball, rough just means we travel slower.
Regards Woody.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
G'day Hem, thank you for your response, we will definitely be dropping our tyre pressures and I am sure we will have a ball, rough just means we travel slower.
Regards Woody.

That's the way to do it Woody, slow n steady......... watch for the dips, and keep an eye on the rear vision mirrors for VFRT's (very fast road trains) cruising up behind you........ get well over, well before they catch up to you and let them go barrelling past........ oh and wait for the dust to settle before u venture on.
Same rules when they are barrelling towards you too, though I'm sure you are well aware.........

Enjoy your trip.

Oh and Fletcher Creek would be a good "side of the road" free stop over for a night...... it's about 30 - 40 mins north of Charters Towers........ could be a few others there though this time of year....
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
G'day Barrabart, thanks for the advice, we have had a lot of experience with R/T's in the dust and rather enjoy driving slowly, plan to stay at Fletchers Creek if we can fit in.
Regards Woody.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Also at the Burdekin river bridge on ur way into the towers........turn off to the left before u get to the bridge, there's a public dunny block there......... and some sooties and black brim around the pilons of the railway bridge...... if ya keen for a quick fish.

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »
Barrabart,  I really don't like fishing but I'm taking 2 rods and all the gear in the hopes of landing a Barra, another one of my ambitions, the other is this trip to the Cape, just one more to go and that's the big lap, maybe one day or should I say one year?
Regards Woody.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
No worries mate......... you never know,, if you do catch a Barra you might change your mind and LOVE fishing....... :cheers:

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmaybe????. Woody

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »
G'day all, well we are home from our Cape York trip and what a beaut one at that, unfortunately we didn't meet up with any of McGirr's group, we think this trip is right up there with the best, we took our on road type van all the way to Seisia and had a great site just above the wooden toilets and showers,plenty of shade, as it turned out our van fridge stopped working back at Charters Towers so didn't need the solar panels to keep the batteries up, we walked to the tip and bought the Tee shirts to prove it, we didn't have any damage as such on the trip but had a few little problems,,as I said the 12 volt fridge in the van stopped working, one of the deep cycle batteries died we blew a tyre on the van, ( on the Battle Camp Road ) one of the gas hoses on the van got a hole in it??, all in all nothing to stop us, of course you don't have any of these problems when at home, you have to get out there and have fun, which we did, highlight? With long consultation with Mim we can't pick any one thing so it has to be the whole trip, I would be typing all day to mention all the good things about this trip, on the way north we said this is a once in a lifetime thing but now we are saying we would like to do it again. We expected the roads to be realy bad but found they were not the worst we have been on by a long shot,
Regards Woody

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »

Good to hear Woody. Its a great spot the Cape.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
Glad to hear you got home with minimal damage... but remember, post some pics 'cause  :worthles:
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Glad you had a great trip, and good luck with the big lap plans ;D :cheers:

Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline GeckoJK

• Tent User
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
Great report!  ;D

Cant wait to do it myself next year
Deon - 2014 ModCon EcoMate Forward Fold with all the gear! Tugged by a 2012 Gecko JK Shorty with tons of mods! Youtube Channel - www.youtube.com/smadanoed

Offline woody too

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, Hem, I've been reading how to post photos but just can't seem to be able to get my head around it all, wont give up yet will keep trying to understand what to do.
Regards Woody.