Author Topic: TV for camper  (Read 27649 times)

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
TV for camper
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
Hi All,

At the risk of causing a furore by asking this question and I know it isn't real camping but ;

What sort of TV do people have for their camper ? I've seen TV / DVD combo's which are both 240v, and 12v. I'm interested to see what people think.

I guess I would need some sort of antenna for it as well ? so would be interested as to where people mount the mast, given it is a camper, the mast would need to be removable.  Just after idea's.

We've ordered our camper (Cub), and in 5 days will be able to say that we get it next month (July). Our camper comes with both 12v and 240 volt (if near power).

How much does the TV drain of the camper's battery.

Look forward to some responses

Thanks guys - love the forum

Cheers

Phil & Karen
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline bretth

• Tent User
  • Over looking the Snowy Mountains
    • http://www.myswag.org/gallery/v/Bretth/P1010504.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Re: TV for camper
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
We have a TV/DVD (19" LCD,HD) combo unit. This is 240V which we run from our inverter or 240V power when in a caravan park, which is not that often.

A good aerial is always a problem. There are many powered types available and I am sure you will get lots of good/various comments on these from the many users on this site.

We are using a satellite system as this guarantees reception for almost all of Australia.

The cost is not great as we already have an Austar contract and we take the satellite receiver with us and power it from the inverter/240 supply as available. If you go this way make sure you get a good quality tuner as this makes setting up so easy. It takes us about 10 minutes to set our system up.

I am not sure as to the exact power usage but I have been advised that it is minimal and managerable by our on board 12V supply and charging options.

As for "...it isnt real camping" we find it good to have, particularly if you are caught in a wet period in the CT!

These are a couple of sites for satellite systems that might be of interest;

http://aussiesatellite.com/DS/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=14

http://www.satplus.com.au/index.html

http://www.vansat.com.au/
Brett Hume
2007 Pajero diesel. Complete Campsite Nomad CT.
South Gippsland, Victoria.

Offline fuzbar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi guys,
We have a 2004 Jayco Outback Eagle set up with 2 x 120w solar panels fix-mounted flat on rooftop frame charging 2 x 100 amp/hr Fullriver AGM DC batteries.
When in remote location we use our NEC 8210 15.4 inch laptop ( with dedicated video card) with a TV tuner  card ( Express type I think its called-slots in side ) connected to a Strong satellite receiver using Optus Aroura card.
The Strong sat box we can run straight off 12v cig type plug or 240v from inverter. Laptop 240v powered from inverter.
Will have to set up again to get our exact total amp/hr draw but from memory, around 6/7 amp/hr.
Obviously figures would be less if using terrestrial antenna straight to laptop or separate TV.
We went the Laptop way because of versatility ( internet/Email/play DVD/download camera images ) and space in camper.
Hope this helps.

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
Hey Fuzbar, does it all depend on whether you have reception or not?  I have a toshiba 15inch, and I am going to NT for about 3 months - spending most of that time at Borroloola fishing.  I would be quite willing to buy the usb plugs if I was assured I was going to get reception.  Maybe Joff (I know he has been there) can help in this regard.
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
We are using a satellite system as this guarantees reception for almost all of Australia.

How do you fix the dish to the CT? Do you keep the TV in the vehicle?

We had a sat-tv setup for when we had the caravan and hadn't thought about taking it with the CT as space is at a premium - having the dish, the receiver, the TV, the sat finder and the cables takes up a fair bit of space.

Are there any other swaggers with sat-tv setups. If so, some setup and storage photos would be great.

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
Check out Dick Smith.  They have a 10" and a 19" tv/dvd combo which both run on 12 volts or AC adapter.  We have the 19" one and its brilliant although we need to get a 12v cord for it.  The 10" one comes with both.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »

Hi Phil & Karen

You should go on one of our trips up here in Cairns with other my swag members. You do not need a tv as there is always something going on when you walk around the different camps. Its like watching 15 channels.  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
Got 15" Flat Screen 12/240 Polariod branded from BigW (no DVD)  run it via Foldaway Aerial http://www.foldawayantenna.com.au/ never use it on 12v, usually if we are away from power their would be no reception away, not sure how long before it would zap the battery. thought about a Sat Set up.

Usually around the fire or out chatting anyway,,
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline bretth

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »
How do you fix the dish to the CT? Do you keep the TV in the vehicle?

We carry the TV unit in the car (in its original box) along with the receiver unit.

The tripod, cables, tuners, pegs etc are in a storage bag which we carry in the CT. The dish is fixed to the front of the CT (see pictures) where the spare wheel used to be. The spare is now fitted to the rear door.

There is a dish system that folds up and comes in a handy carry bag. This link http://www.satplus.com.au/category29_1.htm will give you an idea of the alternatives.
Brett Hume

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »
Thanks All,

I knew you'd be a wealth of knowledge,

Bretth  - what size inverter do you run, we don't have a sat dish so probably won't be going down that path, I've seen 'caravan' type aerials, but don't know much about them at all.

Fuzbar - i like the idea of the laptop as we've got around 300BG of movies / TV shows etc on it, how do you find the tuner card ?

Darcy - I'll have to go and have a look at Dicksmith - prices seem reasonable from their web site.

McGirr - would love to, Cairns is a pretty long drive - we live in Melb - but want to go back and show my wife cape york - I was there 4-5 years ago - loved it.

Bushman - Thanks for your input - We don't plan on using it a whole lot anyway which is why I don't want to spend a fortune, I agree I would rather be around the fire, but when it cold and wet, or if our niece and nephew come away, i think it would be a good idea. 

You've done well.

I was thinking last night that I could make up a bracket that could attach to the swing away arm at the rear so I could attach the mast, and carry the mast on the roof rack.  We just need to get our camper so I can start tinkering away - shouldn't be far away now !
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline bretth

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »
We have a 1000W inverter but a smaller one, (300-500W) would do the job.

The real cost for satellite is the service charge from the provider such as Austar which can run as high as $80-120/month.

The dish and accessories ($300-350) are the cheapest part.

As far as choosing an aerial the various caravan and camping shows provide great choices.

As you live in Melbourne the next main show is at Sandown later in the year, possibly September.

When you get your system sorted a few pictures and advise would be good to see.
Brett Hume

Offline fuzbar

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »
Fab,

Our setup is satellite free-to-air using the Optus Aroura card which was included in the complete kit around $400 all up which includes sat receiver box,dish,cable etc.
This is a free to air system  and we have with no ongoing fees. One off purchase for kit and card.
Tuner card works fine but if you haven't used it recently you will need to leave in sat receiver turned on and dish tuned on to sat in order to update card. If you require more channels ask for options at the shop when you purchase kit.  ;D
When we set up our Jayco we were advised to install a pure sine wave inverter which are more computer friendly. Ours is 600w which also works fine for all our other requirements.
For us it's great to have TV for footy and a bit of news but each to their own. It's your holiday and nobody else's.

Cheers

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
In a moderate hijack...

A few years ago i bought one of these with the intention of using it with my home foxtel box when out on the road. now in a triumph of organisation, i've never even tried it out.

This dish is suitable for Selectv in most of Australia.
It is not suitable for Aurora and other Pay TV services at this time

has anyone ever tried one of these out for FTA and can verify that it works OK? Or is there anyone in Perth that has a STB that we can try it out with?

EDIT - i've modified the URL so that it works!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:18:07 AM by theflyingbadger »
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
Yep, shouldn't need a tv, but if you must(and we do some times with 2 little kids) go with the usb tv tuner for your laptop. About $90 from dick smith. Got a fold up antenna from the Jayco dealer which clips onto the roof clips on the swan. Works really well, and you can store movies on the laptop as well.

Cheers

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
We've got a little LCD, 17 or 19' or something runs off 240 or 12v, about the only time we've ever used it is when we are in 1 place for more than a day, uses bugger all power on 12v, the only time I really watch it is news time, the kids have portable 12v dvd players we can run through it as well if we want to watch a movie
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
Hi All

Digging up an old thread but I thought anyone who wants a 12v TV for the camper may be interested in this:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-pro-16-hd-lcd-tv-w-dvd-player-digital/?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Copy+of+20101022+-+Frugal+Friday+-+PRO16

My Geek Co-Worker is always spruking this brand and his advice has never let me down.  Looks like a good deal to me.

Darcy

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Hi All

Digging up an old thread but I thought anyone who wants a 12v TV for the camper may be interested in this:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-pro-16-hd-lcd-tv-w-dvd-player-digital/?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Copy+of+20101022+-+Frugal+Friday+-+PRO16

My Geek Co-Worker is always spruking this brand and his advice has never let me down.  Looks like a good deal to me.

Darcy

looks good. I like the way you can plug in a thumb drive and play movies from it (although it's unlikely to support as many media formats as a "proper" media player like a WDTV)

Jon
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
darcy i have a 42" from kogan and it works well. I did see that "frugay friday" deal come though got me thinking.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
We have bush TV ;D
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
Hi All

Darcy
We're looking for a 12v TV for our Swan. Looking at the Dicksmith 12v tv also http://dicksmith.com.au/product/G5570/dse-10-2-quot-standard-definition-lcd-tv Anyone here have a 12v TV?  what brand? And for those that have a Swan, where do you place your TV for best viewing. And maybe how do you store it when traveling? Cheers
Geoff

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
Hi All

Darcy

Had a look at this and saw my nephew's avatar.  Do you work with a geek named Keith?
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
Without a doubt entertainment is important, especially if sitting out the wet under canvas or even worse, stuck in a caravan.  ;D    But a TV? Come on!!!  >:(

Personally I favour a good book, conversation over tea, coffee or a port, board games (or is that bored games?) and the best of all a bit of a sing along with the old guitar.  8)

For me the best thing about camping is to escape the TV, unless of course there's an important Rugby match to watch. But then there's the possibility of the pub or listening to the ABC on the radio.  :laugh:

Get out there and enjoy the bush & the characters you meet. The TV is always there waiting for you at home.

Cheers - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
yes yes we've had this debate about who wants tv and who dosn't - this isnt the thread for it.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
Had a look at this and saw my nephew's avatar.  Do you work with a geek named Keith?

No his name's Craig.  Knows everything about everything especially if it runs on electricity, is made of sub-atomic particles or requires some form of operating software....!  He's no fan of Apple.  I found this out the hard way when I told him I had bought an iPhone.

As for having a TV with the camper...I agree there are many times when its not required or wanted, but then there are times when it comes in handy.  On extended trips, we tend to spend a long time in areas where there's not even any radio reception.  I like being able to pull into a town occssionally and catch up on the news and sport.  I also love making some popcorn, curling up with the missus and watching a flick in bed especially if the weather isn't compatible with an open fire.

Its like having an electric toaster or kettle in the camper.  I prefer not to use them but there are some occasions when these things come in handy and for the small amount of space they take up and for the small money you pay for them, why not carry them...?