Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 117705 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
I ended the process but it said I needed permission to do anything to the GWX folder ??

try this method instead...

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-remove-windows-10-nag-messages-3614204/

or, there's an app for that:

https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/tag/4.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:15:09 PM by paceman »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
so then where is your personal basis that it is so, so bad?

most problems experienced during install (at this early stage) can be put down to easily explainable issues such as incorrect/dodgy license keys or unstable drivers.

and either of those issues (for example) are not windows 10's fault and can be identified and possibly rectified with users performing the upgrade check BEFORE they attempt an upgrade.

Mine did a latest upgrade before I installed win 10 and it said updated and ready to go ????  Then after a blue screen of death, the repairer said a driver wasn't compatible ?? WTF ??  Why wouldn't windows know a driver wasn't compatible ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
Mine did a latest upgrade before I installed win 10 and it said updated and ready to go ????  Then after a blue screen of death, the repairer said a driver wasn't compatible ?? WTF ??  Why wouldn't windows know a driver wasn't compatible ??

are you talking about the actual upgrade advisor than can be run from the windows 10 icon near the clock?

because that should have notified if there was going to be potential issues with drivers...

updating the driver through normal windows update methods wouldn't have stopped a possible BSOD...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
Quote from: gronk
Why wouldn't windows know a driver wasn't compatible ??
Windows doesn't give a Shit, its job is to upgrade.... went well eh!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
I don't know exactly what I did now....I got a win10 update logo, clicked on install and it installed, then 5 mins later...BSOD !!

I liked win10.......I'm now using Chrome with tiles on my homescreen ( still have Bing on startup screen )....but after spending a few hundred bucks on repairs, I will leave the thing alone !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »

not quite...

as previously posted, windows 10 has an upgrade checker built right into the upgrade advisor app that can identify potential issues before they arise:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/check-computer-runs-windows-10/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-pc-run-windows-10-use-this-well-hidden-compatibility-checker-to-find-out/

and in gronk's specific case, I am willing to bet the BSOD was caused by a driver issue...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:29:09 PM by paceman »

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »

I, like about 100,000 others worldwide, had problems......so much for computers being smart !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

and in gronk's specific case, I am willing to bet the BSOD was caused by a driver issue...

And I believe it was......but why doesn't windows know that....don't they scan your computer 1st ? Isn't it supposed to check if your system is compatible ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
And I believe it was......but why doesn't windows know that....don't they scan your computer 1st ? Isn't it supposed to check if your system is compatible ?

please see previous links for compatibility checks...

and as for why?  if I could answer that, I wouldn't be working... :)

plenty of companies do just enough to get their drivers to work with windows and others do more, to avoid issues like this...

some manufacturers had windows 10 compatible drivers for their hardware available well before release date, others did not.

not really windows fault that your driver developer can't write decent driver code... windows can only do so much...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
As I said building this PC for a mate, it even now has a BIOS update to run Windows 10...

If people are happy with 7 there is zero reason to update. If everything is working on 7, if it aint broke....

YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
As I said building this PC for a mate, it even now has a BIOS update to run Windows 10...

If people are happy with 7 there is zero reason to update. If everything is working on 7, if it aint broke....

YMMV

and no-one is doubting that windows 7 an excellent operating system...

but to insinuate that windows 10 is rubbish is just not correct.

windows 10 offers benefits to a lot of users.  if that isn't you, as previously stated, you are not forced to upgrade... :)

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »

plenty of companies do just enough to get their drivers to work with windows and others do more, to avoid issues like this...

Thats what the repairer alluded to.....Toshiba only do enough for their mass produced things to work..

But what you're saying is windows doesn't know or check for drivers compatibility ??

What does win 10 do that win 7 didn't ??  Looks prettier !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »

What does win 10 do that win 7 didn't ??  Looks prettier !!

I haven't played with it "yet" but from what I have been reading M$t have done a lot of stuff under the hood to fasten bootup speed, utilise hardware to accelerate speed, have better power management for mobile devices and better gaming performance with Directx12.
So all in all most pc's will look to be zippier using win10 than win7. Whether they are zippier could depend on lots of issues most critical would be hardware driver performance. Something mostly not under Microsoft's control.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »
So, utilise hardware to fasten bootup speed is the only real advantage to old farts who don't play games !!    :laugh:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
My young  fellow, “maybe not so young now”, but he is putting this new system together with windows 10 and is getting more errors than he likes, I can tell you.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
Been running Windows 10 for two weeks now and reasonably happy with it especially with Edge being a faster, and so far trouble free browser, compared to IE 11 on my previous Windows 7. One problem that i now have and have'nt been able to fix is playing videos.
I have the "RealTimes" video downloader/player programe that has been installed on my computer for the last five years and it has always worked perfectly. Since the upgrade to Windows 10 many of the videos that i have downloaded on my computer won't play properly. Some do and some don't. The audio is ok but the picture is all pixelated. (I think that's the term for it) I have set "RealTimes" player as the default player. Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone got a fix for it?

Thanks in advance :D

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
My young  fellow, “maybe not so young now”, but he is putting this new system together with windows 10 and is getting more errors than he likes, I can tell you.

Is that a bare wire i can see  >:D >:D >:D >:D
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »
not really windows fault that your driver developer can't write decent driver code... windows can only do so much...

Yep, always makes me laugh when I hear people complain of an 'add-on' not working, and blaming windows   ;D
Get a new (aftermarket) toy for the car that doesn't work...blame the car manufacturer  lol

I have the "RealTimes" video downloader/player programe that has been installed on my computer for the last five years and it has always worked perfectly. Since the upgrade to Windows 10 many of the videos that i have downloaded on my computer won't play properly. Some do and some don't. The audio is ok but the picture is all pixelated. (I think that's the term for it) I have set "RealTimes" player as the default player. Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone got a fix for it?

Thanks in advance :D

Have you updated Realtime?
http://www.real.com/resources/realtimes-now-available-for-windows-10/
Bob and Robyn

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »
Yep, always makes me laugh when I hear people complain of an 'add-on' not working, and blaming windows   ;D

I bought the laptop new....didn't add anything to it since !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2015, 05:25:10 AM »

Have you updated Realtime?
http://www.real.com/resources/realtimes-now-available-for-windows-10/
[/quote]

Hi Bob, yes, i have done all the updates but am still having the problem. It is only happening on some of the videos.
I did notice last night that some of the problem videos opened with "QuickTime" and played ok. Even though they
had originally been downloaded with "RealTimes"

Cheers :D

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
Windows mobile 10 looks awesome. Easier to use compared to windows phone 8.1.1 .
Ultimate LC79 Combo

KingBilly

« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
Reading this thread is funnier than the MDC vs Lifestyle thread  ;D

Some of the same members arguing as well  ;D

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2015, 10:03:48 AM »

I might be one of those you're referring to, and I can't see where anyone on this thread is arguing ??

If you are not a computer genius, and you actually read thru the thread, you might even learn something  ( which I'm trying to do ) instead of trying to stir the pot !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
I have been using Windows 10 for about 3 weeks. Only problem I confronted was with Lightroom 4.4 (photo software from Adobe). It would not import pics. Finally with advice from a LR Forum I checked on the privileges assigned to drive and then discovered that W10 had reset the privileges on my C:/ drive to limit access. A security thing I think. Once reset all is fine.

Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »

Good that you find it so amusing. You are obviously a computer genius and know all about Windows 10.
This thread was started to share information and assistance on the new Windows changeover and as usual
we have some awesome members on here that have given very valuable advice, which i'm sure has been
appreciated by many of us. Your useful contribution to this appears to be sadly lacking.  >:(