Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488968 times)

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #1475 on: November 08, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
I will bite. How do you know?
Because I've been down three times since I started my comeback to racing. Once in a race and twice in training by someone else.

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1476 on: November 09, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
Out on the trails nice and early this morning and ran into the owner of one of our two LBS. Have seen him out there a few times as both him and his wife ride. Got to chatting and I mentioned I was getting ready to upgrade. He asks if I've been in the shop to check out what they've got. I then mentioned about the couple of times I have had less than stellar service there. Admittedly, he has not been there whilst I was having the dramas. He apologised and said I should come in to have a look. Anyway I thought I would do the right thing and support the locals and went and had a look.
I've come away pretty impressed with the 2020 Trek Roscoe 8. Nice bike, decent spec for what I want to do. Rec. retail was $1999. He's marked it down to $1677. Wow. Just in the process of googling the Shit out of the Roscoe 8 now. The upside to buying locally is the backup and warranty is a 10 minute drive away. Plus 6 months of free check ups. I think I'm sold. Also, once my boy recovers from his tummy surgery that he's having the week before Xmas, I will upgrade his bike to a Trek Marlin 7.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1477 on: November 09, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
I've come away pretty impressed with the 2020 Trek Roscoe 8. Nice bike, decent spec for what I want to do.

Good spec for the price, rip the tubes out and setup the wheels tubeless, those 2.8 tubes are way heavy and it will pedal heaps better without them.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1478 on: November 11, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
Well the search for new bikes has come to a screaming halt. Paralysis by Analysis has set in. I was really sure I was going to go for the Trek bikes, but the Polygon at the same price point beats the Trek hands down on specs. I feel that Trek is the Toyota of the bike world. You're paying a premium for the badge. The other issue that I've got is sizing for my boys' bike. I had him on a mates sons XS Marlin on Sunday, and we both agreed that the next size up would be good and leave room for him to grow into it. Problem is when you look at the specs for a Polygon small it's bigger everywhere. Can't sit him on one. It would be a case of buy it and see.
Anyways, here are the two bikes we've have narrowed it down to.
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-xtrada-6.0-mountain-bike
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-entiat-tr8-27.5-trail-mountain-bike
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1479 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
I took the Entiat to Hervey Bay last weekend. Those 3” Nobby Nics helped bashing through sand and bulldust out on the uncharted end of the rail trail. If you are heading to brissy any time you are most welcome to take mine for a strap. I concur that the name brands often aren’t where value for money is unless you want cafe cred.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1480 on: November 12, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
Bicycles Online have a deal on at the moment...  Sharing just in case!

Bike Frenzy has started! 48 hours ONLY! Grab your discount before it' ends!

$150 off orders over $2,000
FRENZY150 at checkout!

$100 off orders from $1,000 to $2,000
FRENZY100 at checkout!

$60 off orders from $600 to $1,000
FRENZY60 at checkout!

$25 off orders from $100 to $600
FRENZY25 at checkout!

Australia's #1 Online Bicycle Retailer

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1481 on: November 12, 2019, 10:58:56 AM »
Waiting for Black Friday Sale to hopefully pick up a better discount on a Marin Nail Trail 6 ;D
Add a dropper and it should be a fun hardtail :D

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1482 on: November 12, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »
Out on the trails nice and early this morning and ran into the owner of one of our two LBS. Have seen him out there a few times as both him and his wife ride. Got to chatting and I mentioned I was getting ready to upgrade. He asks if I've been in the shop to check out what they've got. I then mentioned about the couple of times I have had less than stellar service there. Admittedly, he has not been there whilst I was having the dramas. He apologised and said I should come in to have a look. Anyway I thought I would do the right thing and support the locals and went and had a look.
I've come away pretty impressed with the 2020 Trek Roscoe 8. Nice bike, decent spec for what I want to do. Rec. retail was $1999. He's marked it down to $1677. Wow. Just in the process of googling the Shit out of the Roscoe 8 now. The upside to buying locally is the backup and warranty is a 10 minute drive away. Plus 6 months of free check ups. I think I'm sold. Also, once my boy recovers from his tummy surgery that he's having the week before Xmas, I will upgrade his bike to a Trek Marlin 7.
Cheers, Mike.

I was also keen on the Roscoe (7or8) but the lack of rear boost hub spacing makes it a less future proof proposition ???

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1483 on: November 12, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
Well, I've done it. Ordered the Marin San Quentin 3. It was the bike I originally wanted. It was the bike that got me excited enough to sell my race BMX and my OldSchool mini bike. I was getting sidetracked by all the B.S. I was reading and googling. The Trek Roscoe8 doesn't even come close to it for spec.  The down side is the size I want is out of stock. Won't be available until the 28/11. So I've pre-ordered it and will call them tomorrow as it won't let me pay for it as they have no stock. I want to pay for it to take advantage of their "Frenzy Discount".
Now, for the boys bike. Going by their size chart, he is 120mm short for their smallest size in the bike I want. Do I buy it and try him on it and hope he's close enough to live with it until he grows into it? Or buy the Trek at a similar price but at a lower spec and know that he'll fit it straight away?
Cheers, Mike.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1484 on: November 13, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »
Hit another hurdle this morning.  For so.some reason I couldn't process a payment for the San Quentin.  I rang Bicycles Online and was informed that the reason the payment would not process was because all of the allocated pre-orders were sold. Therefore no bike for me.  They couldn't tell me when the next lot would be available apart from it might be December if not January.  So, back to square one. Not happy Jan.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1485 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
On an impulse, on the way home from work this arv, I called back into the Trek dealer. Rang the wife to meet me with the kids. Measured the boy up on a Marlin 7 29er, medium size and I gave the Roscoe 8 another look over. Old mate gave me a price as a package and I went for it.  Told him that I don't but floor stock and he grabbed a fresh Marlin out of a box and built it and ordered me a new Roscoe 8. Should be here this time next week. To say my boy was excited would be an understatement.

So, what pushed me over the line? Buying local. The deal was pretty good, $2477 for both. 6 months of free adjustments and checkovers. No bloody stock of the Marin until lord knows when. Even rang Bicycles Online back and spoke to someone higher up the ladder thinking they might have more info on availability. Wrong.
The other thing was I think I getting sucked into the vortex of thinking I needed more spec than I really did. At the end of the day I'm riding for fun and exercise and maybe I'll do some social stuff. I'm not racing for sheep stations. Although the Trek might be a bit lower on spec, I'll never outride it.
Job done.  Search over.
Cheers, Mike.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:29:51 PM by Coolblue80 »

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1486 on: November 18, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »
Can't beat that new bike feeling. Mine turned up today. I've only ridden it around the block a couple of times and bed the brakes in. Feels good. We'll be out on the tracks early Saturday morning.

The following users thanked this post: cruza driver, GBC

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1487 on: November 18, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
Love new bike day, enjoy.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1488 on: November 18, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »
Unless ya doin N+1, ya not tryin hard enough. 😁

Foo

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1489 on: November 29, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1490 on: December 06, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
For those that need to warn other road users ..    ;D ;D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaY3Ph9AoU  .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1491 on: December 12, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »
New bike day at our house today!

7th birthday presents... Should be good for 5 years I reckon at least...

2013 Amarok Highline
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1492 on: December 13, 2019, 04:54:31 AM »
Nice work, they look pretty happy about their bikes too!

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1493 on: December 13, 2019, 07:41:31 AM »
Nice work, they look pretty happy about their bikes too!
Once they realised they were theirs!!  Walked them into the shop with blind folds on... The guys at Omara's thought it was a pisser..

They didn't have the OMG wow reaction, but more of a stunned silence, as their other bikes have been second hand

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1494 on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
Just Picked this up to get back into commuting for work as planned early morning hit outs on the road bike are just not happening now that the new fur child is demanding to be walked first thing

https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/product/scott-sub-cross-30-men-bike?article=274913007

Doing it different this time no computers, no heart rate monitors not even wearing a watch just jumping on and however long it takes me to ride the 18kms each way is how long it takes.

Actually really enjoying slowing things down and enjoying the view. Missus says i am coming home a lot happier than the sweaty mess i used to when i was trying to beat some stupid Strava time
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1495 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
Up in the bush by myself this morning. My offsider is out with a sprained wrist. Finding motivation is hard to say the least. I'll just keep plugging away trying not to get MuckyNutz

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1496 on: December 14, 2019, 08:15:48 AM »
Just Picked this up to get back into commuting for work as planned early morning hit outs on the road bike are just not happening now that the new fur child is demanding to be walked first thing
https://www.scott-sports.com/au/en/product/scott-sub-cross-30-men-bike?article=274913007

Looks fast, I use a Garmin but just to keep speed/pace and map my rides.

Up in the bush by myself this morning. My offsider is out with a sprained wrist. Finding motivation is hard to say the least. I'll just keep plugging away trying not to get MuckyNutz

Dirt church is the best! I enjoy riding in a group but I really prefer riding alone, doing my own thing at my own pace, not having to look out/wait/speed up for anybody else, I guess I'm weird like that.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1497 on: December 18, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »

I mix my riding up too with a core group of us or a solo ride.
I just enjoy riding  ;D
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1498 on: December 18, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »

I guess I'm weird like that.

We've been riding Lake Mountain, Buxton and Silvan this month.
We rode Lake Mountain down to Marysville in the snow this month too
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1499 on: December 19, 2019, 05:24:01 AM »
We've been riding Lake Mountain, Buxton and Silvan this month.
We rode Lake Mountain down to Marysville in the snow this month too

The Cascades trail is on my to do list, looks like a great ride similar to Blue Tier and Atlas at Derby.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado