Author Topic: See ya mate  (Read 4993 times)

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
See ya mate
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:28:08 AM »
Tonite I lost a lost a true friend.  I have known this guy for fifty years and we have been to hell and back together. He taught me to sail and nagivate, together we have sailed thousands of miles on some of the toughest oceans in the world  both on ocean racing yachts and delivering  yachts for people who didn't want to be out there.
We have camped and fished together on just about every inch of the Murray river, bloody hell I gonna miss you mate.
This may sound strange but I'm proud to say this mate was also my father inlaw who has been there for me since I lost my old man when I was in my early twenties .
At the age of 62 he said to me I'm going to ride a bike from Perth to Melbourne,  I said to him "do you even know how to ride a bike", but over the next few months he bought all the gear and rode his bike from Perth to Melbourne solo,  no backup,  no plan B. Then two years later he said he was going to paddle a canoe the entire length of the Murray and I said "sure you will " and he did,  my only regret is I didnt do it with  him, but I was too busy bringing up his granddaughters.
The last thing he said to me was "do the things you want to do before your body wont let you" and I am.
This is not a post looking for sympathy,  this is a post to say I am proud to have known you, a person that has been there and done that.  We will miss you Rossco, but will never forget you. Know you will be with me on the Madigan Line next year,  looking forward to the bourbon, see ya there mate.
Sorry for the ramblings , been a tough nite.
See ya mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans, GBC

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: See ya mate
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:05:35 AM »
Sounds like a true champ. Enjoy the memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:07:00 AM »
Gee macca, condolences mate.

KB

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 05:23:52 AM »
That was a beautiful story Macca and brought back fond memories of my late father in law with whom i shared a similar scenario.
He sounds like he was a wonderful man and i'm sure he would have been proud to have had you as his son in law and mate.
Take Care

Robbo

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:26:00 AM »
Mate, a great outlook - do it while can. Some great memories.
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Mate, a great outlook - do it while can. Some great memories.

x2 Puts life into persepctive
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:12:09 AM »
Sound like a top bloke to me and you have all of those great memories that will come back to you at times for no reason at all.  ;) A big loss and one person that will stay in your memory, that's for sure.  :cheers:

Foo

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:26 AM »
Macca, that was a beautiful eulogy to someone who was obviously a beautiful man.
I know you are not looking for sympathy. But who could not feel sympathy for the loss of a man like him.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
Condolences to you and your family Macca, he sounds like he lived his life with no regrets and to the full.
Celebrate his life.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »
Sounds like he was a top bloke Macca....keep remembering the good times, people's  passing should always be a celebration of the life they lived, not about the sadness of thier absence.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
That he did Potsy, thank you and everybody else for your wishes.
 I posted that in the wee small hours of the morning after a few sherbets to celebrate his life, normaly I wouldn't put a post like that but he meant so much to me.
Anybody who has done some long distance sailing on 30, 40, 50 foot boats will know there are times where you literally put your life in other people's hands, and we did lots of it years ago. I couldn't think of a better pair of hands to put your life in. His calm head and navigational skills saved our butts on more than one occasion.
Thanks again for your thoughts

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
That he did Potsy, thank you and everybody else for your wishes.
 I posted that in the wee small hours of the morning after a few sherbets to celebrate his life, normaly I wouldn't put a post like that but he meant so much to me.
Anybody who has done some long distance sailing on 30, 40, 50 foot boats will know there are times where you literally put your life in other people's hands, and we did lots of it years ago. I couldn't think of a better pair of hands to put your life in. His calm head and navigational skills saved our butts on more than one occasion.
Thanks again for your thoughts

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand this thinking! Us blokes need to realise that it is good to do this and the feed back from others can be so helpful, because we are not alone in losing great people around us.  :cheers:

Foo

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand this thinking! Us blokes need to realise that it is good to do this and the feed back from others can be so helpful, because we are not alone in losing great people around us.  :cheers:

Foo
post of the year.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Foo

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »

Foo
Yep you are right Foo and I havent taken it the wrong way, I guess it is more my generation that was the "suck it up sunshine " mentality.  It was only after a good talking to from one of my daughters after I had a bit of a meltdown lastnite, pointing out it was OK to be upset, that i wrote the post, then had second thoughts when I re-read it this morning, but no you are right I wrote it because I am proud to have known him and good on you for reminding me of that. I also felt very comforted reading all the replys this morning.

While on the subject and I'll probably cop a heap of Shit from him, but that big bad bird bloke that is always giving up crap on here is always the first to check that someone is OK when something like this happens, I know I'm not alone on this and it doesn't go unnoticed big fella, thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Foo

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
                                          To be part of the legacy left to you
                                          so you can teach your young
                                           so that they can it carry on .
                                           That is something to be proud of .
                                            Go For lt  .
                                            More power to your arm       :cheers:   

You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: bede

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
It is healthy to talk through your grief. It has to be worked out and not shut away. We lost our youngest son in a motorbike accident just over three weeks ago and it is the only way I can work through the loss. I didn’t intend to share that here but this thread has enormous value.
I hope your pain is replaced by the wonderful memories you have as I hope ours will too in time.

:cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Macca condolences

Snow, what can one say ! Shattered for you mate, condolences to you and the family .
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim
The following users thanked this post: Snow

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »

It is healthy to talk through your grief. It has to be worked out and not shut away. We lost our youngest son in a motorbike accident just over three weeks ago and it is the only way I can work through the loss. I didn’t intend to share that here but this thread has enormous value.
I hope your pain is replaced by the wonderful memories you have as I hope ours will too in time.

:cheers:

That is terrible news Snow, as a parent I can only imagine the pain you are going thru, my very sincere condolences to you and family.
Thank you for your support and hopefully in some way this thread can in some way help ease your pain just a little. I am sure you will someday look back and take some comfort in all the wonderful times you had together

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:12:13 PM by macca »

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
Yep you are right Foo and I havent taken it the wrong way, I guess it is more my generation that was the "suck it up sunshine " mentality.  It was only after a good talking to from one of my daughters after I had a bit of a meltdown lastnite, pointing out it was OK to be upset, that i wrote the post, then had second thoughts when I re-read it this morning, but no you are right I wrote it because I am proud to have known him and good on you for reminding me of that. I also felt very comforted reading all the replys this morning.

While on the subject and I'll probably cop a heap of Shit from him, but that big bad bird bloke that is always giving up crap on here is always the first to check that someone is OK when something like this happens, I know I'm not alone on this and it doesn't go unnoticed big fella, thanks.

Oh, I worked that out a long time ago.  :cheers:

Foo

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
Condolences, celebrate their lives, don't get caught up mourning their passing.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »
Condolences champ. We all know bird is a big softie  ;D

Condolences to Snow  :cheers:
Ultimate LC79 Combo
The following users thanked this post: Desert lover

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
Enjoy the memories and celebrate his life Macca. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Snow, so very sorry to hear of your loss. I can only imagine what you are going through. Thoughts are with you and your family.

2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
On top of losing my FIL a week before xmas, we have also lost my daughters  best friend  to cancer on new years eve,  a beautiful girl I have known nearly all her life and far too young at just 32, laid her to rest yesterday, also lost an uncle on new years day.
Life can really, really suck at times

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
😓

Foo

Hurry up corkhead!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
Quote from: macca
On top of losing my FIL a week before xmas, we have also lost my daughters  best friend  to cancer on new years eve,  a beautiful girl I have known nearly all her life and far too young at just 32, laid her to rest yesterday, also lost an uncle on new years day.
Life can really, really suck at times

I no longer know you.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home