Author Topic: 30+ years tenting... CT ordered  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Black

• Learning the Ropes
30+ years tenting... CT ordered
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
Hi everyone

My better half and I have been tent camping for years, our honeymoon was an 8 week camping trip up thru Qld, across the top, down the west coast and across to Adelaide and her wineries. The regularity of camping changed with the arrival of the kids, we have gone camping with them, my daughter took her first steps on the grass at a Mt Isa camp ground. I have been doing a major house reno (really a total rebuild in the end) for the last 6 years, so with limited time available we found it hard to go thru the effort of camping with the kids

I finally convinced the wife to go for a CT, what clinched the deal was on a 4WD club trip to the eastern Vic Alps over xmas where there was nearly half of the 20 something vehicles had a CT

We have placed an order with Camel for a Beachcomber Plus which is due to arrive the day before we take off for a week to southern Qld,  maybe cutting it a bit fine...

We wont have time to do a dry run or chance to sort out what fits, doesn't fit and where,  any tips or suggestions ?? or do we just throw in what fits and hope for the best..

:cheers:

Variflex

Re: 30+ years tenting... CT ordered
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum,

Those Camel campers look great, No matter what camper you have as long as it gets you at there enjoying the outdoors with the family they are all good

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
Hiya Black, welcome to Myswag  :cup:
Just throw all ya gear in the camper & car, as it sounds like you'll be picking it up & going from there.
You'll have the week to sort out what goes where once the camper is set up

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:31 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Black, I think you will find that you will have a lot more room for gear so it will not be an issue. Take what you used to when tenting and it will all come together, it will just be a lot simpler.

If you take a note pad so you can jot down different ideas, things you forgot or things you don't need. We have a couple of lists depending on what type of camping we are doing, I print out the required one and then tick them off as I finish the packing. Just don't forget the camera

GG

Offline skmaint

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:08:15 AM »

Hi Black,

Welcome to My Swag......Well done on your purchase  :cup:....As others have said throw the gear in and get out there and enjoy it. It will all come together when you are out there. As GG said take a note pad it is worth it weight in gold believe me. Have a great trip.

Cheers
Simon.
Your not bogged until you cant move an inch.

Offline shina

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
G,day Black

Welcome, know someone who has a camel CT good units enjoy your trip

Cheers Shane  :cheers:

[url=http://postimage.org/image/e212x0rd9/

Offline timneva

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado GXL and Cub CT
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »
Hi Black,

congrats on the purchase and enjoy the time away when you pick it up.

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
Hi Black,

Congrats on the purchase, don't forget the photos of your new toy on its maiden voyage  ;D.

Check if Camel can do a hose down for you before you pick it up (if there is time) and maybe pack a tarp for the tent section as you won't have time to season the canvas (better to be safe than have a wet bed if it rains  :'().

Counting down the days  :cheers:.

TJ
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline Biscuits

• Swag User
  • More camping - less working - my quest continues..
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Black,
As GG said, Pack as if your tenting, live like your in luxury!! I too went through the Tent and then camper "evolution" (As I call it) there will always be something that comes on the market to make your life a little easier, however, if you cover the basics, (no doubt after 30 yrs of tenting you will have that nailed!!) you will be on your way to an even better experience.
My transition I found storage was my biggest review, rather than have lots of things you need all over the place, I could box it all up and keep things tidy and in their place with a camper. Your storage area allows you to keep cooking utensils, food, electrical, clothes all separate and easy to get too. Plastic tubs are the way to go I feel as they allow you to keep things portable, accessible, water and dust free, clear ones allow you to know exactly what you have in what box (the simple stuff I know....but usefull)
Anyways, good luck, travel safe
BISCUITS ;D ;D ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 03:08:22 AM »
Welcome to MySwag Black  you wont know yourself , in Your CT . Arr this is living .  At some stage you will ask yourself " how long has this been going on ?" Anything you need to know ask as the only silly question is the 1 not asked . Enjoy . Do chuck in the camera  we love the pics  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Black

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and advice   ;D

In the past whether on a 4WD club trip or outback touring we would remote camp unless basing ourselves in a regional centre. When we have travelled on the east coast we would brick tent it on our way to a remote destination, so am not familiar with a spot to camp along the coast, so am hoping someone can recommend a publication that would cover all sites incl. remote, free and paid camping, and would also rate the sites   

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:58 AM »
Hi Black and welcome to My Swag. Sure you will enjoy the the extra luxury of a CT.

Trevor

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:36 AM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag, congrats on the Camel and looking forward to seeing pics of the trip to SE QLD :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:38 AM »
am hoping someone can recommend a publication that would cover all sites incl. remote, free and paid camping, and would also rate the sites

There is a book out that covers exactly what you're after.
Been mentioned on here a few times, but for the love of me, I can't recall it's title. Shouldn't be too long now, & someone will post it :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »
G'day Black and welcome to Myswag. :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Black

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
There is a book out that covers exactly what you're after.
Been mentioned on here a few times, but for the love of me, I can't recall it's title. Shouldn't be too long now, & someone will post it

Hi bobnrod, I hope someone comes up with it shortly, only a couple of weeks to go before we need it. Have been speaking to Camel and the trailer is on track for delivery before our leave date

Black ;D ;D

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
G'day Black and welcome,

We've only had our CT for a few months. The best thing about our CT is the opportunity it gives our family to escape together, dirt roads and no phone reception! :cup:

As my 5 year old boys quotes, "That ain't live Barry, this is livin!"

Cheers,

Disco.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline gazza66

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
Welcome Black,
I think you will be happy with your Camel, We also have recently "Joined the Camel Train"" and took delivery of a Camel Discovery around 4 weeks ago, which we had our maiden voyage last week. All went well. The worse thing about ordering a camper trailer is the wait!!  Have a great maiden voyage.
NP PAJERO, CAMEL CAMPER and a PASSION TO EXLPORE

Offline tropicbird54

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yay! CT owner at last!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum Black and congrats on your new Camel.  Know exactly how excited you will be feeling.
We took possession of our first camper 5 weeks ago tomorrow and are still waiting for a chance to use it!!
Won't go into all the reasons (work, rain, rain,rain,work etc hahaha).  Anyway, I have next week off and hubby has been able to do a swap and has next Wed, Thurs, Friday off so, weather permitting, we are off somewhere for a few days!

At least we have had plenty of time to play around with it and pack it.  Sounds like you will be throwing everything in and off you go, which will be fine as you will have so much room compared to packing up the car for camping.  Like you, we have been tent campers for many years too. Amazing how much room is in the trailer!  As others have said, just take a notebook and pen to make notes once you are at your destination.

Have a great trip!
Cheers
Sharyn  :D

Offline Black

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
gazza66 did you know that Camel have dropped the Discovery name and have added more inclusions to the Beachcomber, apparently most people who bought the original Beachcomber were optioning up to the point where it was similar to the Discovery

tropicbird54, what concerns me about having so much extra room is that, because it fits we'll take it, every item weighs something and that then needs to be towed.
Pity you have not been able to get away. We never go away in the school holidays (I hate crowds)(yes I do live in Sydney) and were not planing to go away these school holidays, but as we got closer to purchasing, and Camel said they should be able to deliver before the break... well now where off to Qld in the school break

Offline gazza66

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »
Black
I was told about the name change when we picked it up. I'm not suprised about the reason as I know when we ordered our camper trailer we had alot of add ons as well, nearly feel like I now have the next model up. its funny how you start with one thing and end up bit lighter in the back pocket.
NP PAJERO, CAMEL CAMPER and a PASSION TO EXLPORE

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
Welcome to myswag Black and congrats on the CT purchase ,I hope it turns up in time for you , it's so true about the extra gear that fits in a CT as on our recent trip away we had that much extra gear that wasn't used it wasn't funny , o'well we all learn what is needed and what isn't
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »
Gday Black, welcome to Myswag  :cheers:
Congratulations mate, not only in getting a CT but also in choice.
The Camels are a great bit of gear and are the ducks guts  :cup:
Awesome trailer and very popular amongst Swaggers.

You will find out everything you need to know on here.

Enjoy you stay  :cheers: :cheers:

Cheers BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bundy Country

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 10:36:13 PM »
Hi Black

Welcome to Myswag. We've just bought ourselves a Modcon and haven't had a chance to use it yet but we are looking forward to camping in luxury and being able to get away more easily and as often as possible (much simpler than packing the box trailer up the weekend before!)

Enjoy your new CT. We look forward to seeing pics.

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »
by Black
am not familiar with a spot to camp along the coast, so am hoping someone can recommend a publication that would cover all sites incl. remote, free and paid camping, and would also rate the sites

Not the one I was thinking off, but a quick search of MySwag bought up this one

Click Pic

Bit pricey (imo) at $90 though. The one I'm trying to remember was I think 'round the $40 mark...gotta love old age *lol*
Bob and Robyn