Author Topic: Shower Pump  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
Shower Pump
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
G'day folks.

We have decided to take our own shower on our next trip but we are quite happy with a bucket full of water and a submersible pump hooked up to a shower head. We don't want one that heats the water as we have tried a couple before and didn't see the benefit over just warming the water first (and some were downright touchy).

Does anyone have a setup they are happy with as I have done a search on here and couldn't find any reviews?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Shower Pump
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
The old man used one of these type jobbies in his campervan,  [ Whale ] brand got it from a boating place for about $30, when he didnt stay in a van park ..
 Worked well enough to have a wash off, no home shower quality of flow though to be expected .. Think his was about 6 or 8  lt pm and lasted about 5 or  6 years .https://www.ebay.com.au/i/323210928760?chn=ps
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
We have tried most over the years and like you have returned to the bucket and pump. We have a 20 litre bucket that we fill with river water. Pour about 3 litres into billies and boil them up before mixing them back in and the temperature is perfect. We used one of the $20 pumps for years before it died. Then we went through a few that seemed to corrode internally before I bought this one. https://images.snowys.com.au/content/images/thumbs/0020589_high-volume-camp-shower.jpeg
Just hook it up to the car battery and pressure is great. The bucket will do 2 people easily.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
We have tried most over the years and like you have returned to the bucket and pump. We have a 20 litre bucket that we fill with river water. Pour about 3 litres into billies and boil them up before mixing them back in and the temperature is perfect. We used one of the $20 pumps for years before it died. Then we went through a few that seemed to corrode internally before I bought this one. https://images.snowys.com.au/content/images/thumbs/0020589_high-volume-camp-shower.jpeg
Just hook it up to the car battery and pressure is great. The bucket will do 2 people easily.

We used to use the same as that and it worked fine. Got ours from BCF, was also around $20. Good enough to get wet, soap up, and rinse off, but don't let the misses try and wash her hair.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:50 PM »
I use a  Primus high volume submersible shower and 3 stainless steel buckets. Primus shower is 5 years old and still going strong and stores in the buckets. Two buckets get heated and one is kept cold for temperature adjustments.

I think they are branded Companion now and retail for around $70.00 the on/off switch is great for saving water and power.

The buckets can be placed on a gas burner or fire to heat and do double duty for all the things we use buckets for and are great for getting river water to shower in.

I purchased the buckets from Bunnings for about $10.00 each I dont know if they are still availble

The set up works well with the ensuit tent on the Modcon, and an external 12 volt socket I have installed.
We also use a door mat to stand on in the ensuite whilst showering.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/oates-82-x-62cm-assorted-colour-easy-clean-outdoor-mat_p4494493

Ronnie Q

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

{IMG}{IMG}

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. Looks like I am off to the Snowys website to get myself another pressie. ;D

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
I just got the Joolca complete setup coz I am a lazy git. The pump works well from that, shower is crazy good though last time we used it was Oz long weekend with Hairs & Co at Clarence Gorge. At 39degC days the hot water wasn't needed. Just pumped water straight from a Jerry can.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:43 PM »
I just got the Joolca complete setup coz I am a lazy git. The pump works well from that, shower is crazy good though last time we used it was Oz long weekend with Hairs & Co at Clarence Gorge. At 39degC days the hot water wasn't needed. Just pumped water straight from a Jerry can.

Times heaps, I've had numerous cheap pumps over the years.
My kids got us the Joolca for Xmas and we couldn't be happier, best bit of camping kit ever.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline Mangrovematt

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
https://www.australiandirect.com.au/12V-Camping/Hot-Water-Shower-Systems/KASWRRCG
Lithium battery shower for $44 looks the goods,
We have a glind hot water exchange under the hood of the Cruiser and love it
LC 79 Dual cab ,  Camel beachcomber x4 humps

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »
https://www.australiandirect.com.au/12V-Camping/Hot-Water-Shower-Systems/KASWRRCG
Lithium battery shower for $44 looks the goods,
We have one that looks identical to this.  Works OK best thing is the compact size

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Thanks all for the clues, hopefully we will be able to have a good scrub when needed.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
I bought one like a primus you use in a 20lt bucket around 5 years ago, it did a few weeks camped at Inskip showering our camp, then I stored it away went up again 12 months later did not go, so bought a new primus one, so my mate pulled the older one apart it just seized on the shaft my mate sprayed inox on the shaft and gave it a turn away it went, So now I have two, and both are a are still going, But what I do now is hang them up, let all the water dry out of the pump and line then spray a little inox in the pump, both still work great, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Thanks for the great tip Craig, I will do the same for the little effort required. :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
Just in case anyone was following this thread I ended up with the Companion shower that Rowlie mentioned. It was a toss up between That one and the one Bird suggested. I figured more flow was probably a good thing although time will tell.

A tip I can suggest if you get one. Don't pull the cigarette lighter plug apart, snip the wires off the terminals, and then remember that you should have checked positive from negative. Certainly one of those Doh moments. One black one, one white one (but none with a bit of sh*ite on) were the wires so took a stab that black was negative. Wired up the Merit plug and out into the garage we go to give it a test. Sit the unit on the tray, the Mrs. grabs the on/off control, and I plug it in. Starts up a pearl, but I soon discover that the shower head is pointing at my midriff. Of course this amuses the Mrs highly, so much so that she doesn't even bother to turn it off. Result, one very wet me (good thing it is boiling hot) and the tray now has a litre of water in it. Doh moment number 2.

The unit itself seems to work well and has an adjustable flow head on it so you do get a choice of pressures. It also has a slider on the head that shuts off the flow but keeps the pump running. I am not sure why you would use this instead of just switching the pump pump off, saving power as well as water. Another of life mysteries.