Author Topic: GU patrol power upgrade  (Read 29533 times)

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
GU patrol power upgrade
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
Well I have finally received permission from the better half to get the tune up/ power upgrade to the patrol.

We currently own an 05 GU 4.2 tdi and it struggles towing the camper up some hills and 1 hill in particular was Cunningham Gap.

Well the car is booked in at Mike Vine Turbo and Performance for late July so can't wait. Mike is claiming power increases of roughly around 60-70% at 1500-1800 rpm and 40-50% increases from 2000rpm on.

From what I have been told he knows his stuff. So I'm hoping people on here have used him also.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
If you never go, you'll never know

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: GU patrol power upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
What is your budget, and what exactly are you having done...?

Tyres are a big killer on the 4.2 even with the Garrett and custom intercooler.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
He is replacing injectors, adjusting valve clearances, modifying fuel pump, new filters, putting it on the dyno and the cost is about $1800. I know there are defiantly other things he is doing but I can't remember.

The reason I went with him is because I have only heard good reports about him and I'm not interested in using someone who tunes it without using a dyno. Don't get me wrong if people want to do that to there own vehicle that's fine but I have over 50 grand tied up in this vehicle and would like it hopefully done wright.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Quote from: maverick01
He is replacing injectors, adjusting valve clearances, modifying fuel pump, new filters, putting it on the dyno and the cost is about $1800. I know there are defiantly other things he is doing but I can't remember.
the std fuel pump is not worth much over ~120rwkw, the mods they can do is a 12mm cruiser plunger in it over the stock one, but that's part of a complete rebuild at around 2.5-3k pump alone.

But you can change the figures put out by the dyno fairly easily I've read, sometimes just to please the customer. but if you have a good tuner, that's even betterer.

The reason I went with him is because I have only heard good reports about him and I'm not interested in using someone who tunes it without using a dyno. Don't get me wrong if people want to do that to there own vehicle that's fine but I have over 50 grand tied up in this vehicle and would like it hopefully done wright.
yep, its good to have dyno sheets and get the best you can.
if you can, borrow a set of 31's for the day and compare the 285's and 31's. you will lose around 20rwkw and 100rw/nm! I couldn't believe it until I had the sheets.

Also if you don't have a boost gauge and EGT gauge fitted - get them.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
Already got pyro and boost gauges fitted. I have 285s on the car. I can't get hold of any 31s unfortunately.

Are you saying to go with someone who doesn't use a dyno that way the can't fudge the power increases?

From what I'm led to believe this guy is well known around the hi performance industry and apparently use to race hi powered ski boats. He has be around for about 25-30 years apparently

You have me a bit concerned now.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
Are you saying to go with someone who doesn't use a dyno that way the can't fudge the power increases?

From what I'm led to believe this guy is well known around the hi performance industry and apparently use to race hi powered ski boats. He has be around for about 25-30 years apparently
Nope...
Saying YES = DO use someone with dyno.
Using a dyno is the only way to get the fuel/air mixtures right.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Trackabout Off Road Campers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Trackabout Off Road Campers
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
Already got pyro and boost gauges fitted. I have 285s on the car. I can't get hold of any 31s unfortunately.

You have me a bit concerned now.

Mav, don't be concerned, Mike has been doing this stuff forever! He's not very excitable to talk to on the phone  ;D but he knows the TD42's and the 1HZ/FTE's like the back of his hand.. And likely to have it doing wheelies up Redland Bay rd when you pick it up!

You're onto a good thing mate. Mike's a more than honest bloke and also seem's to care more about the longevity of that thing under your bonnet than his back pocket  :cheers:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:14:14 PM by Trackabout Off Road Campers »

www.trackabout.com.au

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
GU patrol power upgrade
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:50 AM »
I didn't know you could get increases like that without turbo mods (which cost $2k on its own). I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
Sounds good mate, it will be interesting to find out what he does and what gains he ends up getting. New injectors, adjusting the tappets and tweaking the stock pump must be just a part of it going by the figures quoted.

Just on a side note, a mate of mine has twice now upgraded his intercooler on his 4.2 GU and both times says it has made a huge increase in power? Does an aftermarket intercooler really make that much difference over a stock one? I understand the cooler the air the better but are the stock ones that bad at cooling the air?
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
Quote from: fridayman
I didn't know you could get increases like that without turbo mods (which cost $2k on its own). I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Fuel pump tune, and 3inch exhaust, and no turbo on the dyno work gets you about 100rwkw depending on injectors and pump condition.

The MTQ turbo 'hi flow' mod is about the cheapest way to go for more.. but highly recommended to use the Qld MTQ office. Mate (John on Eoz) has driven from melb up there with 3 GUs over the years, and wont go near the melbourne place which is less than 10klms from his place!

Otherwise its Garret and stuff and thats when you really hit the rev limiter on the wallet.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

Is there something im missing? 1800 without exhaust & dump pipe upgrade?  sounds like a lot of $ to me.

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
There are other things he is doing but at the moment I can't remember them. Already got a 3inch Beaudesert exhaust.

$1800 might be a bit over the top but I would rather pay a bit more for someone who knows there stuff and has no problem explaining stuff. There are people that do backyard jobs but there is no guarantee on how long motors last where as Mike warrants all his work and I have been assured by others he won't push a engine beyond its limits.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
Hi maverick01,

$1800 is cheap if you get what you want, as Lost has stated the fuel pump conversation can cost over 3 grand alone add a bigger turbo , double that. One thing you may want to talk to your guy about for a performance mod in the future is getting your Nissan turbo modified to run on bearings instead of the standard sleeves. The turbo will spool up faster and run smoother giving you the power quicker and the turbo will last longer.

cheers duggie and oh yea  :worthles:
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
Hi maverick01,

$1800 is cheap if you get what you want, as Lost has stated the fuel pump conversation can cost over 3 grand alone add a bigger turbo , double that. One thing you may want to talk to your guy about for a performance mod in the future is getting your Nissan turbo modified to run on bearings instead of the standard sleeves. The turbo will spool up faster and run smoother giving you the power quicker and the turbo will last longer.

cheers duggie and oh yea  :worthles:

I have had the factory Turbo upgrade done as Duggie mentions above with fuel pump mods running 12psi boost and pull 107rwkw on 33in and pulls hard off idle. Very happy and worthy mod...My next mod will be intercooler.....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Also if you don't have a boost gauge and EGT gauge fitted - get them.

This ^ should be your first mod...

After that, your wallet governs.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »
...My next mod will be intercooler.....

Do tell.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
Gauges are already fitted.

Tea bag I was envious of your truck when we did the cape back in 09. I had the heavily modded grey GQ back then.

I will try to call the guy tomorrow to enquire about modifying the standard turbo to run in ball bearings instead. I know I need to get the turbo modified but what's more important that or a snorkel for cleaner air ?

The missus said I can't spend anymore on the car until I do a few things for her. So looks like I'm working in the yard this weekend to get that stuff done.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
Gauges are already fitted.
I will try to call the guy tomorrow to enquire about modifying the standard turbo to run in ball bearings instead.

Yeah, I missed the gauges bit. Sorry.

I wouldn't bother spending money modding the HT18. My standard turbo is in a box in the shed.
There are much better options, and not just Garrett. Ball bearings are not necessarily the answer, either.

Depends on your budget, and what you want out of it.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
I will try to call the guy tomorrow to enquire about modifying the standard turbo to run in ball bearings instead. I know I need to get the turbo modified but what's more important that or a snorkel for cleaner air ?

The missus said I can't spend anymore on the car until I do a few things for her. So looks like I'm working in the yard this weekend to get that stuff done.
tell her the snorkel comes as part of the package... :)

The best idea, is work out where you want to end up.. dont go the other way round or you will keep spending and spending 1000's going sideways..

Work out what power/torque you want to end up with. Then speak with your tuner.
At the moment, sounds like you have no idea what you  want to end up with but "just more".
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »

The best idea, is work out where you want to end up.. dont go the other way round or you will keep spending and spending 1000's going sideways..

That's excellent advice.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »

Thats easy......as much hp and torque as possible and here is what I have to spend.............. ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
Thats easy......as much hp and torque as possible and here is what I have to spend.............. ;)

Yep. The hard part is finding the right tuner......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
Yep. The hard part is finding the right tuner......

You know me mate......"No Money Danny" do it yourself  ;D

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline maverick01

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Thanks guys.

I honestly never thought i would have received this much feedback

Basically all i want is more torque and power than what i currently have. At the moment it pulls the camper easily along the flat open roads but the moment we come to any size hill the car slows wright down and the pyro hits 500 easily.

Im not asking for drag race material although it would be very nice.

Budget at the moment is roughly 2000-2500 but once i get some jobs done for the wife then i can spend more money.

As the old saying goes HAPPY WIFE=HAPPY LIFE

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
Basically all i want is more torque and power than what i currently have.
At the moment it pulls the camper easily along the flat open roads but the moment we come to any size hill the car slows wright down and the pyro hits 500 easily.
so overfuelling is an issue at moment.

When was the last proper tune done, not performance tune, but a proper tune up and fuel filter changed?

Budget at the moment is roughly 2000-2500 but once i get some jobs done for the wife then i can spend more money.
I would be asking for info on what $1800 gets you. for a tune as Dan says, even if the bloke that invented horsepower was doing it, it sounds very expensive for basic tune up, but nowhere near enough for a larger tune.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home