Author Topic: Going Back to a Tent  (Read 7378 times)

Offline cranky

• Swag User
  • Live the Dream
Re: Going Back to a Tent
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
Kalex, Some of the best Camps my family has enjoyed were in a tent, every time we talk about camping and the good old days guess what everyone remembers the fun they had in the tent, get out there and enjoy this wonderful country.

Offline kalex

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Well, it look like we are going back to the tent :'(
Time spent with my family can never be replaced, the camper can.
Thanks everyone for all your advice and encouragement.
Does anyone want to buy my " Custom Tambo Camper"???

Offline kalex

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=6713.new
A sad day :'(

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Don't worry Kalex, you gotta do what you gotta do, I've been in a similar situation for a little while now and I'm still battling on, but selling the camper has crossed my mind more than once that's for sure.

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
Awww :-[
You just make sure you buy yourself a really nice tent or two that's easy to put up (check out some of the touring type tents for a start) and I hope you have lots of new adventures and tales to tell!
We've only got a couple of 3 man hiking tents, a bunch of pegs and two poles each tent and that's it, but I'm not sure how ideal they are yet as not enough use. One thing I know is that Hubby will have to figure out what sort of set up to run instead of having previously used a camper awning for general shelter. If tenting works out I guess we might look at the more expensive touring tents down the track. But there's a whole load more research for you to do while waiting for your camper to sell!!

Nab, I like your way of thinking, and I'm probably only coming to terms with a similar thing. I now drive a $4000 car which I enjoy driving as much as I did the $34,000 Forrester. Hubby has just recently brought cheap car because it will save insuring the 4x4 comprehensively ($1200 he was quoted!) and not to mention a hell of a lot of fuel saved with him mainly driving to & fro Perth , it won't take long to pay for itself. I know he wants to keep the 4x4 Ute for our retirement but I reckon if the cash was put in front of him he'd let it go even though it would be a reluctant sale. It's a hell of a lot of money invested in a car that can't even take all 4 of use on a camping trip! We also have our almost year old house on the market to move into town to a smaller place and half the mortgage, well if we can sell that is.
I guess the key word is lifestyle, your ideas of what's important, you can struggle all your life and then struggle some more never really realizing that dream you've had all along!

Oh if you're after some cash and you're not terribly sentimental you could try this mob...
http://www.cashforgoldaustralia.com.au/?gclid=CNC2_521paECFcctpAodDnWaEA
I did with some jewelery I had, didn't get as much as I had hoped (I did the calculations as well as I could) but I'm pretty  sure they at least offer a much better rate than the good old Cash Converters!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:03:12 PM by Pebble »
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline kalex

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
News Update to old topic.
After 6 months of putting in a very poor effort to sell the camper, we just came back from camping, took the camper for the first time in a year an totally fell in love with it again. We now owe less and can afford to keep it. :cup:
Thanks all for your help and advice.
The myswag forum is now back. :cup:

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
Excellent to hear!!!
Congrats!
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline pajnmaj

• "We grow old if we don't go camping"
  • Tent User
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
That is great news - once you are set up for camping - it is a cheap way to entertain the family.

Enjoy your quality family time :cheers:
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Off to do more camping we go.

Offline inkbandit

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Great News! at least the little one will be old enoug to appreciate it, Well done

Offline dazzawhipple

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
we have 2 Kids 7 and 9, my wife has been doing part time jobs evening work since the first one was born, but 12 months ago, I managed to get a night shift job, this allows my wife to work full time during the week

Ok the negatives are that I dont see her all week..and only get to see the kids for 3 hours a day, i mange on about 4 hours sleep a day!!!!!! but positives are we now own a CT, we have weekends away, my wife is talking adult speak ;D..and best of all no..its not easy but it certainly makes things easier

Landrover Discovery 3 Auto.......spec changing will update later

2015 Forward fold MDC Cruiser