Author Topic: Polymate Camper Trailer  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Alice

• Learning the Ropes
Polymate Camper Trailer
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm looking at purchasing a second hand Polymate camper trailer- does anyone know much about polyethylene vs steel trailers ? We are travelling around Australia for 6 months next year and just wanted any feedback from anyone who has had experience with them.
Thanks in advance!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Polymate Camper Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
G,Day Alice .. Have only ever seen them at a show once, Seemed tuff enough, Only ever known of one to be turned into a camper trailer  Back in 2012 by a guy over in west Australia, If its still on the net you could try looking up 4wd action forum " my camper trailer "  polymate camper by "  Monkeybucket " . 
My thoughts on them were that they were a bit on the heavy side for a basic trailer, the one I saw was a bit rough with warped flat  panel sections ..
Reckon it would take a fair bit of a flogging with scrapes and bumps though, just dont know how it would be after a few years to try and tidy / clean it up  .. with  gouges / cuts / faded . 
Cracking  of the plastic from impact / sun affected and age / flogged out mounting points to the chassis from movement would be the biggest concerns etc ..
Adding anything to the trailer tub would mostly have to be screwed riveted  in place, cant easily be welded out in the bush for repairs or bolt through the trailer tub as its plastic  and add to that double walled and hollow, would have to make up crush tubes and use decent size washers either side of the tub walls,  so  could limit mounting heavier things a bit .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:43:02 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Alice

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »
Thanks so much for your advice Edz. Really appreciate it. One of my concerns was also if it needed to be repaired out in the bush. This one looks in pretty good nick
(https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/items/details/2010-polymate-polymate/SSE-AD-5652212?utm_campaign=price-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email)
We’ve got a bit of thinking to do, thanks again

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
I believe if it was such a great design, there would be many more companies making them and more of them out there.

If your shopping on price, theres plenty out there to choose from.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »
I believe if it was such a great design, there would be many more companies making them and more of them out there.

As I recall, there was a company in Bundaberg producing them years ago.. The essence of why there arn't a lot around is due to the manufacturing process.
The body is rotational moulded which is a similar process to manufacturing plastic water tanks. As people that are familiar with this process would realise is
that it requires a rather large rotating mould. Second to that, because there are corners in the design as opposed to a round water tank, a lot more of the HDPE
material is required to ensure that all corners of the mould accumulate enough material during the rotating process to achieve the required wall thickness of
the product. This leads to a more then necessary heavy product, and lot more material cost and a longer production time. Which in turn, leads up to an expensive
product. Also, when the body is fitted to a chassis, the whole trailer adds up to a substantial weight which is usually much more then a steel sided trailer.

This made the idea non competitive with the average box trailer. I have known of a few people that bought the bodies (freight cost needed to be included) and
built their own chassis. In all cases, last I heard, the trailers were going strong after being to the Cape and another to the Kimberlies.. If you think about it, makes
sense as they and strong and rust free. To stop side scraping damage off road, riveting thin alloy chequer plate would suffice for protection. As long as you have a
big enough vehicle to tow the trailer mass.

So, I guess, there was never enough volume to justify the larger rotational moulding companies getting interested.. 
Puff

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:18:51 AM »
My Mate had one as a boat trailer it flexed that much on hot days his boat was cracking all the time, he got rid of it made his own trailer his ccc ally boat never cracked again, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
My Mate had one as a boat trailer it flexed that much on hot days his boat was cracking all the time, he got rid of it made his own trailer his ccc ally boat never cracked again, Craig

I never knew that they made a complete boat trailer, but they did make a HDPE boat similar in size to a 10 foot tinnie.. Trouble again was that they were bloody heavy and they wern't cheap either. But they were pretty much indestructible.. I think I heard at one time emergency services were looking at them as they were non conductive, probably during floods ect..
Puff

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
They made bigger boats to BP, an old work mate has one about 15 ' and yep its a heavy bugger, heavier on fuel too,  but he likes the way it handles a bit of rough sea .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
they make boats up to 5,95m to survey standards and in survey, ship loads of hire boats around use them, yes tough as nails and heavy, there would hundreds of poly boats on the east coast along, the Kiwis make them a lot bigger and a better stile of boat, Craig 

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »

Turning that the other way round, polycraft boats need their own special trailer with full keel support so they don't sag in the heat or under their weight. I remember those poly boat trailers, if they get them right it would be great.

I have had a few polys. I remember getting the 4.5 cc ready for a beach launch at Inskip, passenger in, motor test fired, back down the beach into the swell, hit the skids. Boat stayed put and old mate nearly shot straight off the stern. Turns out somebody had run out of the light blue nose rollers in the trailer factory and ducked out an grabbed some dark blue ones which apparently are a different type of plastic. On the dirt road (while back haha) corrugations the boat poly welded itself to the roller! That took a little while to find because it was about the last place I looked.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
That would of bee a bugger alright and as you say hard to find, Yes my mate still has a 4,55m poly nice set out boat but wet, he has a 50 4/ Honda on it 40ks flat out. The mate that has the poly trailer still has it could not sell it know one wanted it, Craig

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
That would of bee a bugger alright and as you say hard to find, Yes my mate still has a 4,55m poly nice set out boat but wet, he has a 50 4/ Honda on it 40ks flat out. The mate that has the poly trailer still has it could not sell it know one wanted it, Craig
Yep, same engine I had. 18-19 mph cruise. Fished Fraser, outside Moreton (110m line), all over. Punched above it’s weight that little thing. The old man has the newer 4.8 with 75 Honda. Much beamier and not as wet but not as sea kindly either.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson