Author Topic: Medications  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Medications
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
For those that take medications daily I have a few questions;
Do you fill your scripts before leaving home when doing extended trips?
Are you able to fill scripts interstate or must they be obtained in the state issued?
How do you store your medications when travelling to ensure they stay "fresh"?
Thanks
 :cheers:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Medications
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
I think you will find that your local Chemist wont provide prescription repeats in advance. This is to prevent over use of drugs - pain killers especially.

So, you are able to have prescriptions filled interstate, the PBS  Health system is federally run so Australia Wide.

You will need to keep receipts and take them to your usual chemist when you return home so they can be recorded  to count towards your safety net.

If you take insulin or other liquid medications then they  need to be stored in a fridge (not freezer).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:29:14 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)
The following users thanked this post: Pottsy

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »
Over the 3 years traveling Penny gets up to 5 repeats for her medication which will last her 6 months. If she needs more she sees a doctor and then gets the repeats. Her medication does not need refridgeration.

My medication needs refrigeration  :cheers:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
I've just asked my chemist to give me two (or three) repeats and told her that we're going away and so far not had a problem. She did suggest that I take the prescriptions with me and pick up the drugs as needed along the way but I explained that I'd rather have them (prescriptions) in a safe place (at her pharmacy) rather than risk losing them. She explained that she is able to organise dispensing at another pharmacy over the phone - pharmacist to pharmacist.
I keep my pills and potions in the fridge.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
I think you will find that your local Chemist wont provide prescription repeats in advance. This is to prevent over use of drugs - pain killers especially.

Regulation 24 allows the chemist to dispense all the repeats at once.   The doctor endorses the script with "Reg24".
   Usually strong analgesics don't come with repeats.

So, you are able to have prescriptions filled interstate, the PBS  Health system is federally run so Australia Wide.

It has more to do with recognising the doctor's registration in each state.   Since 2010 medical registration is national (not federal) via AHPRA so all doctors are recognised across Australia.   

You will need to keep receipts and take them to your usual chemist when you return home so they can be recorded  to count towards your safety net.

This is unnecessary as the federal PBS computer will receive information from the dispensing pharmcy (Big Brother Is Watching.)

If you take insulin or other liquid medications then they  need to be stored in a fridge (not freezer).

Check the labels but all drugs usually need to be kept under 20-25 degrees, unless they require refrigeration.   So don't keep them in the hot glove box and it will do no harm to keep them in the fridge (not freezer)

You can get all your repeats at once (Reg 24) or present the script's repeats as you travel across Australia.
Dr Patr80l
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:29:47 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200
The following users thanked this post: Spada, Pottsy

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
Scripts etc should be no trouble now that everything is on file and can be accessed by which ever doctor  ...
For us to travel for extended periods ATM. Apparently We can get up to 3 months worth of the wifes IVIG product to take with us from the  RedCross Blood service, provided we can keep it at the required refridgerated temperatures  OR  pre organise to send the wifes IVIG products to Hospitals that have cancer units and are able to access her portacathe Along our intended line of travel .. Every three weeks ..
This is doable but requires a fair deal of pre planning to find hospitals that can treat her and will be limiting for some areas we would like to stay in . .
Hopefully a new product [ trialed over the past few years ] will be given the green light  to be used in treating her illness, Being pumped in  via  a subcutaneous injection patch, we can do it ourselves and carry 3 months supply of the Infusion gear & the drugs in a fridge, to travel relatively freely .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
Scripts etc should be no trouble now that everything is on file and can be accessed by which ever doctor  ...

That's a myth.   Few patients have had their data entered onto My Health Record and of those that have a recent study showed only about one in 700 (I think) is ever accessed by other doctors.
From a GP's point of view all that data entry is a waste of time that we are not paid to do.   There has been a lot of criticism of the programme.   Otherwise, there is no access to another doctor's records online or otherwise, short of contacting the doctor and asking them to forward a copy of the notes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:27:21 PM by Patr80l »
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
For us to travel for extended periods ATM. Apparently We can get up to 3 months worth of the wifes IVIG product to take with us from the  RedCross Blood service, provided we can keep it at the required refridgerated temperatures  OR  pre organise to send the wifes IVIG products to Hospitals that have cancer units and are able to access her portacathe Along our intended line of travel .. Every three weeks ..
This is doable but requires a fair deal of pre planning to find hospitals that can treat her and will be limiting for some areas we would like to stay in . .
Hopefully a new product [ trialed over the past few years ] will be given the green light  to be used in treating her illness, Being pumped in  via  a subcutaneous injection patch, we can do it ourselves and carry 3 months supply of the Infusion gear & the drugs in a fridge, to travel relatively freely .
Mate, I sincerely hope the outcome is a good one for your wife and you get to enjoy your travels, my wife has Parkinson's and we are investigating deep brain stimulation surgery which will hopefully reduce her symptoms and dependence on some many medications.
Our thoughts are with you and your wife
Cheers
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »
For those that take medications daily I have a few questions;
Do you fill your scripts before leaving home when doing extended trips?
Are you able to fill scripts interstate or must they be obtained in the state issued?
How do you store your medications when travelling to ensure they stay "fresh"?
Thanks
I have daily meds and I asked the doctor for six months worth, he said yes as I was travelling. I am able to get my pills in any state. When I needed a repeat, I went to the nearest GP and told them the sort and got another six months worth. I have gotten three months worth of pills at a time, they usually ask why and be told them I was travelling remote or was on a station, which was the truth and no problem getting them.
Mine don’t need to be kept cool so just keep them in the car console.
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
When we went to Uk for 3 months last year the doc gave me a prescription that instructed the pharmacy to give then to me all at once.  It maybe the Reg 24 referred to but I don't know, your doctor will.

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:45:31 AM »
Some mainland prescriptions can’t be filled in Tassie, due to different scheduling of some drugs. I think but am not sure - some analgesics. Mrs BTMNDR had issues when we first relocated.

Additionally, if I recall correctly, some mainland prescriptions are only valid for 6 months in Tas v 12months on the mainland.

I’ve forgotten medications when travelling from time to time, it’s usually pretty easy for pharmacies to work together fax/mail if the “home” pharmacy holds the prescriptions.

I cannot be trusted with prescriptions.  No matter which safe spot I put them in the fantom prescription snatcher always appears and eats them!  :'(
Former TOPNDR.

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
I cannot be trusted with prescriptions.  No matter which safe spot I put them in the fantom prescription snatcher always appears and eats them!  :'(

Yes and yours and mine will be in that place where half used up and dried out pens and single socks are stashed.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
Quote from: BTMNDR
Some mainland prescriptions can’t be filled in Tassie, due to different scheduling of some drugs.

Wow that could be big issues for some peoples requirements if they weren't aware and were running low or had run out... How would you find out???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ant_schomacker

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
Something to be aware of is that many small or remote towns may not carry stock of your specific medication or have a pharmacy.

If you are travelling through areas like this (the cape is a good example) you might be able to get some basic medications from the local clinic,but you are much better off preparing properly and making sure you have sufficient tablets etc. for the duration of your trip.

Ant

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
Something to be aware of is that many small or remote towns may not carry stock of your specific medication or have a pharmacy.

If you are travelling through areas like this (the cape is a good example) you might be able to get some basic medications from the local clinic,but you are much better off preparing properly and making sure you have sufficient tablets etc. for the duration of your trip.

Ant
x2  I took 6 months supply with me last year + the prescriptions
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »
We just make sure that i get all my meds i need before we go on any trips .... its not that hard just needs planning .... going on a cruise later this year and even thats easy just have to keep all pills in orig packaging and tell them we have them with us in luggage then were all good ...
Regards

Marv

Offline Fatfingers

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
I have worked month on month off for 41 years.

I'm have been diabetic the last 13.

I don't always come home after the month on and may visit friends close to where I am working before going back for the next hitch.

My meds always come on a Reg 24 marked script, meaning I get 6 months worth at a time.

3 months worth go into clearly marked 2 x 250ml seal top bottles (chemist labeled on request). I carry a doctors statement, notarized, of the medication.

Never had a problem.

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 10:57:30 PM »
Wow that could be big issues for some peoples requirements if they weren't aware and were running low or had run out... How would you find out???

The hard way I guess, unless you thought to ring ahead.
Former TOPNDR.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
Some mainland prescriptions can’t be filled in Tassie, due to different scheduling of some drugs. I think but am not sure - some analgesics. Mrs BTMNDR had issues when we first relocated.

Additionally, if I recall correctly, some mainland prescriptions are only valid for 6 months in Tas v 12months on the mainland.

I’ve forgotten medications when travelling from time to time, it’s usually pretty easy for pharmacies to work together fax/mail if the “home” pharmacy holds the prescriptions.

Scheduling of drugs and poisons is a state responsibility so there are differences between states albeit minor, particularly with drugs of dependence (Schedule 8 poisons).   This includes strong analgesics.   Pharmacists need to know a script is genuine and will often ring the doctor if the doctor and handwriting is unfamiliar to the pharmacist.   Also, "I'm from interstate and I've left my prescription at home and I've run out of my medication." is straight out of the Doctor-Shopper playbook so expect a lot of questions and maybe a refusal from the interstate doctor if you need replacement prescriptions.    Legally, if one doctor holds a permit to prescribe an S8 drug for a particular patient, another doctor cannot prescribe that or any other similar drug.   That's the primary purpose of the permit system.   It may be easier to replace your credit cards than replace your prescriptions so take good care of them.