Author Topic: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert  (Read 21056 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
I have owned a business-to-business publishing and exhibitions outfit for 30 years and the digital landscape in recent years has changed everything. Companies can now have a direct relationship with their buyers through social media, can directly measure customer engagement and have developed websites that have completely bypassed the retailer. Donald Trump has become president largely via social media.

This has left traditional media like print and TV at something of a loose end. So they have been under increasing pressure to sell their souls to keep afloat. We now see product promos on TV passed off as news pieces. Ditto in magazines. It's not been a matter of greed, but of commercial survival.

In the 4WD world, just look at how the new digital publications have completely bypassed the newsagent. And their TV equivalents look like one continuous ad.

I think we are going to see many retailers downsizing their bricks and mortar presence and increasing their digital presence in the coming years and will will rely less and less on print and TV advertising. We'll probably also see the spectre of fake news raising its ugly head in the consumer products arena. Rigged product reviews immediately come to mind. For serious newspapers, expensive investigative journalism and general news reporting is also under threat. Just weigh favourite newspaper and compare it to 20 years ago.

These are very changing times.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
So true Kieth, But it still comes back to who you know in a lot of cases, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
I have owned a business-to-business publishing and exhibitions outfit for 30 years and the digital landscape in recent years has changed everything. Companies can now have a direct relationship with their buyers through social media, can directly measure customer engagement and have developed websites that have completely bypassed the retailer. Donald Trump has become president largely via social media.

This has left traditional media like print and TV at something of a loose end. So they have been under increasing pressure to sell their souls to keep afloat. We now see product promos on TV passed off as news pieces. Ditto in magazines. It's not been a matter of greed, but of commercial survival.

In the 4WD world, just look at how the new digital publications have completely bypassed the newsagent. And their TV equivalents look like one continuous ad.

I think we are going to see many retailers downsizing their bricks and mortar presence and increasing their digital presence in the coming years and will will rely less and less on print and TV advertising. We'll probably also see the spectre of fake news raising its ugly head in the consumer products arena. Rigged product reviews immediately come to mind. For serious newspapers, expensive investigative journalism and general news reporting is also under threat. Just weigh favourite newspaper and compare it to 20 years ago.

These are very changing times.

All very valid points. My current study/career change direction is in the world of "information" (yes, rather broad. I tell people I meet I'm becoming a librarian when I don't want them to talk to me... Makes a nice change to hearing everyones "cute animal stories" when I told them I was a veterinarian!  ;D ). The issue of "fake news" isn't directly something that comes up in my studies, but something that the field skirts around. People need to be taught to be discerning consumers of information (it's not a natural skill), to recognise when things are sponsored (biased) even if it is not clearly disclosed, or when they're downright fabricated (unverifiable, usually). We used to be able to trust what we read as it was reviewed, fact-checked, edited, and determined suitable for print. The world of the internet has changed that - anyone can write what they like on whatever platform they choose to project their voice from.

You only have to look at some of the 4WD blogs out there giving slightly incorrect to downright dangerous advice for an example. Many people no longer have integrity in "publishing" (traditional media through to blogs, youtube, etc.). They post their opinion as gospel truth. They don't back up their "facts" with reputable sources. As a result, anyone can slander anyone, anyone can promote their item as "the best", propagate misinformation, etc.

OK, enough of my soapbox ranting. ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Hi Ttle, Yes it everywhere, I was lucky to get a start writing for a small QLD fishing mag that sells around 25,000 copies a month in QLD and NSW and the NT, 12 or 14 year ago now, The owners tried to get all the there writers to disclose who they were sponsored by it never happened, What I have found the one with the brownest lips wins, Craig     
ET would be a winner for sure, his fishing show is by far the worst for consistent product endorsements i reckon....even worse then Mr 4x4
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
ET would be a winner for sure, his fishing show is by far the worst for consistent product endorsements i reckon....even worse then Mr 4x4

that's a huge call... even worse than the Pat in the hat?

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
ET for the infomercial win - I haven't been able to watch for a couple of years.

A grand example of misinformation would have to be Pat's latest online edition, espousing body lifts and how the only thing you need to be aware of is loosening the steering column. The 'journo' who wrote it has clearly never had anything to do with body lifts and missed the bulbar, radiator!!!, fuel filler, gear selector, towbar, handbrake etc etc etc. There will be a whole generation of kids buying lift blocks off ebay this week with no clue about what lies ahead thanks to that article.

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »

You only have to look at some of the 4WD blogs out there giving slightly incorrect to downright dangerous advice for an example. Many people no longer have integrity in "publishing" (traditional media through to blogs, youtube, etc.). They post their opinion as gospel truth. They don't back up their "facts" with reputable sources. As a result, anyone can slander anyone, anyone can promote their item as "the best", propagate misinformation, etc.

OK, enough of my soapbox ranting. ;)

I read somewhere, in the old days, society ran on Fact & Reason.   However the current society now runs on Opinion & Feelings.  When you sit back and l look around you it's pretty much true..
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country
The following users thanked this post: Humphreythebear, trinityalyce

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
that's a huge call... even worse than the Pat in the hat?
i haven't seen a show yet where ET hasn't mentioned the reason he sees a fish is because of his brand X polarised sunnies, he's wearing such and such belt syle life jacket around his waste, etc etc etc...i reckon he's more blatant then Pat
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
i haven't seen a show yet where ET hasn't mentioned the reason he sees a fish is because of his brand X polarised sunnies, he's wearing such and such belt syle life jacket around his waste, etc etc etc...i reckon he's more blatant then Pat

What about  Paul "I wet my pants from excitement" Worsteling?
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »

Funny you should mention the ET sunnies, I'm just sitting here watching an episode of A4A that I recorded from earlier this year ( I set the fox to record as a series and watch later usually when wife is away like now)
Anyway in this episode they are on Dirk Hartog Island and Simon drops his sunnies over a cliff edge and so gets Jason to winch him over the edge in a bosson chair set up and down to ocean level to retrieve the sunnies. Great for effect but I gathered from this that A4A have not secured as sponsor  for sunnies as 1) if they where sponsored I'm sure they would have multiple spare pairs, 2) They never once mention the sunny brand considering they were not broken from the fall so good advertising opportunity 3) you would only retrieved them if you payed your hard earn $ for them and had no spares.
The following users thanked this post: PWE, Craig Tomkinson

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
3) you would only retrieved them if you payed your hard earn $ for them and had no spares.

Or if you thought it'd make for good TV and keep viewers watching ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com