Author Topic: Second spare on BT50  (Read 6674 times)

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
Second spare on BT50
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
Gday all,
            I'm chasing some thoughts/opinions on the best place to carry a second spare on my ute. I'm trying to avoid a replacement bumper and wheel carrier on the rear for a couple of reasons; a lot of weight at the back of a dual cab is probably not a good idea and they're bloody expensive !
   As we often carry a tinny on the roof of our vehicle when we're travelling it rules out the option of carrying a spare on the roof rack like we used to when we had a camper trailer. In those days the tinny went on the camper and we carried the second spare on the vehicles roof rack. Unfortunately the tinny wont fit on the caravan now 8)   
  Anyone got any ideas or experience ??

Cheers Darryl
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Second spare on BT50
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Put the second spare on the roof then put the tinnie on upside down on top of it. Should be enough clearance.

The chances of using it are remote so you can justify having to get the tinne off if you really needed it
I Drink & I Know Things
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
Quote from: chester ver2.0
Put the second spare on the roof then put the tinnie on upside down on top of it.
Should be enough clearance.
That was my first thought.. but thought it was too obvious ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments but I don't think the spare will fit but will check. Not too sure about the extra weight either with 80 kilos of tinny,  30 odd kilos of boat-loader and some boating gear up there already.

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »
does the van have a place you can mount the wheel then? maybe underneath? seems like the tow vehicle isn't an option? 

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
does the van have a place you can mount the wheel then? maybe underneath? seems like the tow vehicle isn't an option?
Gday Kieran
Pretty tight on the van,already have a spare tyre, 15 hp outboard  and the folding boat trailer on the rear bumper of the van and 2 9 kg gas bottles and a 20 litre jerry can on the drawbar  ??? =
Haven't thought about under the van but don't really want to lose any ground clearance

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
that must be some heavy setup your running all up...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »
Daryl   I agree with earlier suggestions to put the spare on the roof rack and spare should fit between the seats on tinny when it is upside down.   No room in the ute body???  I have carried spares in the back of my cruiser wagon by having the wheel well upright and fill the well with other crap.  Put a flat board over that and stack crates on top.  Pain in the bum if you need to get to them though.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
Would there be room on the floor of the trailer ? Lay flat on a mat , remove when setting up and for security have a chain and padlock handy and lock to draw bar or something .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
Change the caravan wheels to match the BT.....? assuming they are different at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »
Carrying a tyre, rather than a wheel assembly will save you a few kg and a tyre carcass can be squashed a bit more than an inflated tyre. You do lose the convenience of simply swapping a wheel though.

Failing that, mounting it on the A frame of the van would be a another option, either standing up against the bracket in front of the gas bottles or flat on the A frame.

If you had some $$ or effort to throw at it, you could make an upright mount that bolted to the A frame that mounted the tyre on an angle outside the A frame. If you wanted to be flash, then weld on a spindle that matches the trailer axle and you can mount up a hub that will fit straight onto the trailer if you do a bearing.
Something like this:

http://www.loadrite.com/trailer-parts/wheel-assemblies/spare-tire-carriers/spare-tire-carrier-w-removable-spindle-hub-3000-aluminum-frames/

Doing a bit of cyberstalking (hope you don't mind re-using your image) it looks like the rims on the van will fit the BT50 as the dish appears to be deeper. It will probably stick the tyre out past the guard and if its a 15" rim it may not go over the front brake calipers but should fit the rear though.
Not ideal for long distance, but will get you out of trouble.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:32:43 PM by Hoyks »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
Carrying a tyre, rather than a wheel assembly will save you a few kg and a tyre carcass can be squashed a bit more than an inflated tyre.

I always encourage friends when they consider this to have a go at swapping a tyre over on the front lawn......pretty much convinced them to take a fitted spare.

Although if you happen to roll into a town with the tyre fitter before the second flat than all good.

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
Daryl   Like Hoyks said.  You have no doubt used a drop down 3rd wheel or fixed 3rd wheel on a boat trailer.  Can you fit one on the drawbar on the opposite side to the jockey wheel?

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »
I always encourage friends when they consider this to have a go at swapping a tyre over on the front lawn......pretty much convinced them to take a fitted spare.

It only takes a bit of practice.  One attempt is not enough. 

Knowing how to do it can save a hell of a lot of trouble in the bush.  I have seen reports on the net from people who have had multiple punctures on trips.  One bloke said he had five.  I do a lot of very remote desert trips.  I only carry one spare but have a couple of new tubes and enough patches and puncture repair equipment to internally fix holes in the tread, shoulder and up to 80 mm long in the sidewall.

My tyres are  205 x 16 and are easy to get off the rim.  I recently found a heavy worn out 235/85/16 on a heap of rubbish in front of someones's house.  I wheeled it home and decided to try getting it on and off my 6 inch rims.  It was surprisingly easy.

That was on a one piece rim.  I used split rims for many years and they are even easier.

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and interesting ideas gents :cup:
Looks like there's a bit more thinking required on my part before a decision is made. Got a bit more time until our next big trip into the outback.
that must be some heavy setup your running all up...
Don't think it's too bad mate, it's only a 13 foot caravan, unlike the many behemoths you see on the road these days

cheers Darryl

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
Gday all,
            I'm chasing some thoughts/opinions on the best place to carry a second spare on my ute. I'm trying to avoid a replacement bumper and wheel carrier on the rear for a couple of reasons; a lot of weight at the back of a dual cab is probably not a good idea and they're bloody expensive !
   As we often carry a tinny on the roof of our vehicle when we're travelling it rules out the option of carrying a spare on the roof rack like we used to when we had a camper trailer. In those days the tinny went on the camper and we carried the second spare on the vehicles roof rack. Unfortunately the tinny wont fit on the caravan now 8)   
  Anyone got any ideas or experience ??

Cheers Darryl

That line makes me assume that you won't be doing too many KM on rough dirt roads.
In lieu of a second spare, I'd suggest a decent tyre plug kit rather than a second spare.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
That line makes me assume that you won't be doing too many KM on rough dirt roads.
In lieu of a second spare, I'd suggest a decent tyre plug kit rather than a second spare.
Wouldn't necessarily say that, it is a caravan but a it is a proper off-road one  ;D
When we upgraded both the tug and camper last year we wanted something that we could stiil take off-road. Not ridiculously difficult goat tracks but roughish tracks to get to isolated camping and fishing spots. I'd happily take her everywhere we took the camper on our 6 month trip around Oz.  :cheers:

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
Where does the boat mount on the Ute? Got a pic?

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Where does the boat mount on the Ute? Got a pic?

Not a particularly good pic but gives you the idea.
Since it was taken we've also upgraded the tinny as now we don't have to lift it manually on and off the camper thanks to a custom boat loader. 😁

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
looking at the picture it might fit on a low slung roof rack on the BT50s cabin under the tinny ?

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Hi Darryl, Like Doggie said,  put it in the van laying flat on the floor with a mat under it, for on the black top, then screw a couple of heavy duty fasteners thought the floor into the chassy and put a strap over it for off road work, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: cetacean

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
looking at the picture it might fit on a low slung roof rack on the BT50s cabin under the tinny ?

exactly what I was thinking

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 06:17:27 PM »
It only takes a bit of practice.  One attempt is not enough. 

Yep agree.....

Offline fisher

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
I've got a Navara dual cab, and carry my second spare in the tub (standing upright, across the back of the cab).  Its fixed by a bracket to stop it moving around.  The main problem is having to clear the tub to get to it - but its out of the way and accessible when needed.  The other problem is it blocks the rear view, but when I'm packed for travelling I can't see out the back anyway!

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
Hey mate, this has been an interesting read and hope I can help out. I put a Kaymar on mine and carry a second spare there and agree weight is a big issue especially when towing. It is very very easy to get the dual cabs past there GVM  especially with a trailer on board so make sure you know your weights of the car loaded, the van loaded, then combined and ball weight. I know my truck partially loaded (no beer) with me and the mrs is 3.1T, then add my FF camper (2T GVM) with loaded and measured 190kg ball weight I am over the factory vehicle GVM, lucky I did the OME GVM upgrade on purchase.

My advice would be the following:
1. Carry the second spare on the trailer - underneath if room around water tanks, perhaps look at a different profile tyre to reduce the clearance impact (how often will you actually use it)
2. Change the wheels/tyres on the van to match the profile on either 16" or 17" rims, the van looks like a zero offset rim (standard BT is +55) so in an emergency will get you out of trouble with a bit of wheel poke out the guard, easiest option. Also if you carry a hub adaptor can use the BT spare on the trailer if you blow 2 on that, food for thought
3. Carry it in tub against the front if you have the room

Changing the tyre is not that hard after a bit of practice, however in the desert can be a real bastard on a hot sunny day that has already gone wrong....
Black 2015 BT50 with lots of gear
2017 Modcon FF1-III with mods to follow