Author Topic: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert  (Read 21038 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
Defiantly fish out of water.......well for Simon anyway

OMG towing a caravan across the French line

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
They struggled on many of those dunes due to the damage others had done before them...once they did the shovel work and filled the holes in, it was much easier going for them.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
Hi Weeds, I thought it was a good show, they just poked along and made it look easy in the end, Not my cup of tea towing that size van though there worth that much money, I Would not mind going one day with another 4wd, but only towing my old Jayco its only 750kg with bedding and two spare tires and two spare springs, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
Definitely wasn't their usual "Rip, tear, bust" style of show.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
Agree, better than before. No bash just to bash.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
Believe it or not it wasn't as it seemed to be in the show. I was there and meet up with them at Mt. Dare and had a talk with them. But this was also after I had seen some video footage that some bikers had taken of them on some of the dunes. The show was good, it was the sponsor that wanted the caravan taken across the desert.

Dan.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
even last weeks episode around western qld and down through cameron corner etc was enjoyable too
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Believe it or not it wasn't as it seemed to be in the show. I was there and meet up with them at Mt. Dare and had a talk with them. But this was also after I had seen some video footage that some bikers had taken of them on some of the dunes. The show was good, it was the sponsor that wanted the caravan taken across the desert.

Dan.

Yep, they wouldn’t be Paton for the van...or for much.

I reckon we only sore the gentle approach as I’m sure they would have to wombat holes as I don’t reckon they got the shovel out for every dune.

Either that I don’t mind watching them, two blokes having a go and they don’t push their sponsors the death during the show...i thought it wasn’t on free to air anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
Been told by my mate Murray from GuflfLanders extreme he builds boat loaders for 4wds, He is building a boat loader for the bloke that build the 6x6 unit for Patriot boys 79 series project making 500hp, as this was the offer put to him as they wanted his unit for a project, there major sponsors give them the product and 100 grand a series to plug it, not bad coin, Craig

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
Often wondered what kind of money is involved in these type of 4WD/adventure shows and how much these presenters earn.
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
Been told by my mate Murray from GuflfLanders extreme he builds boat loaders for 4wds, He is building a boat loader for the bloke that build the 6x6 unit for Patriot boys 79 series project making 500hp, as this was the offer put to him as they wanted his unit for a project, there major sponsors give them the product and 100 grand a series to plug it, not bad coin, Craig

$420K to build it, and the word is it cannot be certified/rego'd for road use.............
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Charlie Brown

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
Appears to be registered in this photo

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
And a quick rego check states
Registered  till 22/2/2018

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
How did the AusRV van go?

Have to say it's good to see MDC finally coming up with their own designs in what looks like a reasonable quality product.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
How did the AusRV van go?

Have to say it's good to see MDC finally coming up with their own designs in what looks like a reasonable quality product.
spoke to the Aus RV sales guy at recent show that went up to Cape York with A4A boys and they took a van up Maytown track (must be coming up in future show)...he reckons they eventually  lost the wind out awning off the van and broke off a stabilizer leg from under the van. If that's all that really happened it's to bad really, he also reckoned they had pretty much no dust ingress, one tiny bit that was barely worth a mention.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
I couldn't bear to watch it just for the thought of towing in the Simpson. Watched too many people rip up the tracks with trailers when we headed through, so the thought of a caravan? Maybe I should watch it...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
I think Jason owns the show with his old partner Rodo, weather he bought him out I do not, They would have to be getting over half a Mil profit a series you would think, good luck to them, Craig

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
I couldn't bear to watch it just for the thought of towing in the Simpson. Watched too many people rip up the tracks with trailers when we headed through, so the thought of a caravan? Maybe I should watch it...
clowns not towing that don't deflate their tyres or driving in 2wd do more damage then a properly deflated vehicle towing. You only have to watch the video and see the holes people before them have dug in the tracks, all due to not deflating their tyres or not deflating them sufficiently....Head to Bribie Island and the evidence is exactly the same, tracks rough as guts because so many people can't be bothered deflating their tyres. At the start of the show I reckon Simon had his tyre pressure to high and got bogged on the first hill after Big Red, can't say he helped the trailer towing groups much with that effort, especially throwing up abit of a rooster tail as he dug in deep.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
clowns not towing that don't deflate their tyres or driving in 2wd do more damage then a properly deflated vehicle towing. You only have to watch the video and see the holes people before them have dug in the tracks, all due to not deflating their tyres or not deflating them sufficiently....Head to Bribie Island and the evidence is exactly the same, tracks rough as guts because so many people can't be bothered deflating their tyres. At the start of the show I reckon Simon had his tyre pressure to high and got bogged on the first hill after Big Red, can't say he helped the trailer towing groups much with that effort, especially throwing up abit of a rooster tail as he dug in deep.

There's definitely merit to that. Most people we saw struggling - towing or not - appeared to have their tyre pressures way too high.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I think Jason owns the show with his old partner Rodo, weather he bought him out I do not, They would have to be getting over half a Mil profit a series you would think, good luck to them, Craig
In saying that 4wd action claim they can spend up to $100k per DVD
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
That sounds about right, to get it made and sent out not cheap by any means, Craig 

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
ALL FOR ADVENTURE.....Simpson desert
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
In saying that 4wd action claim they can spend up to $100k per DVD

let me tell you how... "someone else" in the that game does it. I know this from very personal experience...

TV networks have to, by law, show a certain % of "locally produced" shows each week/month etc.

4wd personality approaches them and says "I'll give you 8 x 1hour episodes of locally produced content for free, plus I can get ad content to fill the ad breaks"

TV network loves this. No cost to them. They have re-run rights for the off season and they satisfy their requirement for local content.

4wd personality (who may wear a hat) then approaches 4wd vehicle company, camper trailer company and accessory company and says "hey I can get you on network TV every week with an audience exposure of around whatever-hundred thousand viewers... just give me free vehicle/trailer/stuff (oh and for $xxxx,000 cash i'll make up ads for the ad breaks and rave about your gear during the show)"

the cash from the 4wd/trailer/accessory companies more than pays for the actual production costs. (with profit left over) They use freelance cameramen so they they don't need to actually "own" the expensive camers and editing stuff.

They also get new cars/trailers/gear each season so they can sell the old stuff off (more profit)

and if they're also selling a magazine/DVDs/whatever... then that is also profit. (the DVDs cost... ummm... a hell of a lot less that you probably imagine to reproduce, including the case)

being honest though... while there is profit to be had... it's more a way to keep living the lifestyle and being paid for it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:30:36 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Would be a great way to see the country if you had the time and a misses that whats to so it with you, Doing the shows that would give me the Shirts, Craig

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
let me tell you how... "someone else" in the that game does it. I know this from very personal experience...

TV networks have to, by law, show a certain % of "locally produced" shows each week/month etc.

4wd personality approaches them and says "I'll give you 8 x 1hour episodes of locally produced content for free, plus I can get ad content to fill the ad breaks"

TV network loves this. No cost to them. They have re-run rights for the off season and they satisfy their requirement for local content.

4wd personality then approaches 4wd vehicle company, camper trailer company and accessory company and says "hey I can get you on network TV every week with an audience exposure of around whatever-hundred thousand viewers... just give me free vehicle/trailer/stuff (oh and for $xxxx,000 cash i'll make up ads for the ad breaks and rave about your gear during the show)"

the cash from the 4wd/trailer/accessory companies more than pays for the actual production costs. (with profit left over) They use freelance cameramen so they they don't need to actually "own" the expensive camers and editing stuff.

They also get new cars/trailers/gear each season so they can sell the old stuff off (more profit)

and if they're also selling a magazine/DVDs/whatever... then that is also profit. (the DVDs cost... ummm... a hell of a lot less that you probably imagine to reproduce, including the case)

being honest though... while there is profit to be had... it's more a way to keep living the lifestyle and being paid for it.
it's the same with fishing shows also...got a mate that edits ET's Fishing Show, in the early days ET was paid for his show, but nowadays he buys the time slot and sells the advertising spaces / breaks to pay or it.
Got another mate that does photography and helps with some video on a different 4wd show to A4A, as you say he is freelance and has big dollars tied up in his equipment....it's a great way to see parts of Australia many people will not get to visit, but the days they are shooting are big hours and not much time to enjoy where they go, on a tight schedule to get the footage they move then move on and spend a fair bit of time away from home....personally it doesn't appeal to me as a job, but beats working in an office I suppose.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
That sounds about right, to get it made and sent out not cheap by any means, Craig
was told on the weekend that this season the A4A guys paid something like $100K - $150K in transport cost to get their trailers, boat and unimog etc around the country for filming. I have been told previously how many people had subscribed to their Unleashed show (forget the number now), it was a surprisingly much higher number then I expected....multiply that by what it cost to subscribe  and it was some good coin they were getting in.