Author Topic: Scrap metal  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Scrap metal
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 05:30:52 AM »
And did you get covered in all the dust from inside the tube when it imploded?
What’s in a Monitor?

CRT Monitors include several extremely hazardous materials encased within the Cathode Ray Tube. This glass tube contains a large quantity of lead, and coatings of phosphorous, cadmium, and mercury, in addition to several other heavy metals and toxins. The interior surface of the glass case is also coated with lead, which becomes airborne lead dust when the CRT is cracked, and all of the materials will leach into soil after breakage. This is the reason that municipal landfills do not accept CRT’s, since they are a danger to the workers involved in their breakdown and collection.

While I don't disagree that CRTs contain dangerous compounds, it's not really as dramatic as that website implies, after all they are promoting their own business.http://tbsindustries.com/crt-monitor-recycling.html

If you worked at the dump, and were busting them daily, you might end up with higher exposure levels than is healthy.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Scrap metal
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »
And did you get covered in all the dust from inside the tube when it imploded?
This is the reason that municipal landfills do not accept CRT’s, since they are a danger to the workers involved in their breakdown and collection.
No I'm old enough and wise enough to wear safety goggles and a respirator mask nowadays and cover the tube with cloth in the wheely bin before the pointy end of the welding hammer (forget a ball pein hammer here folks) but I did my citizenly duty with that combined Council collection and shipping them all off to third world countries in those containers, no doubt to be ecologically recycled  :-*
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.