Author Topic: Trailer weight  (Read 4161 times)

Offline mick k

• Learning the Ropes
Trailer weight
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi
I am a newby on the forum and I want to get some opinions from you seasoned campers
I want to buy a forward fold camper trailer but am concerned  with the weight of the unit
 I have 2013 Mitsubishi triton. 4x4 Tray back ut to tow the trailer a couple of question
- will the vehicle be able to handle  a trailer of 2000 kg with ease off road
- and is  ball weight of around 150kg a issue
The forward fold camper trailers seem heavy but as my wife and I are in our late 50,s we feel that they have a level of comfort that we need
Any I up would be appreciated
Mick k

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Trailer weight
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »
I have a modcon forward fold international, it weighs around 1400 kg (empty) and has a towball weight around 150kgs. We are both 50 and don't have any problems  with it, but I will say make sure you can open and close it by yourself before purchasing the camper. Most sellers should let you try before you buy, if not go to someone else.
As for the vehicle, we have a 2000cc 4 cylinder 120kw VW Amarok and it tows the camper without any problems both on and off-road.
I will say once more, buyer beware with your camper trailer, ensure that you can operate them by yourself and it's not a two man job, ( the second being a front row international rugby player.) not all campers are built equal. There are plenty of good ones though, good luck and have fun
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:06:30 PM by lloydus67 »
The following users thanked this post: mick k

Offline moeite

• Tent User
Re: Trailer weight
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
Hi
I am a newby on the forum and I want to get some opinions from you seasoned campers

Hi there and welcome  :D
I want to buy a forward fold camper trailer but am concerned  with the weight of the unit
 I have 2013 Mitsubishi triton. 4x4 Tray back ut to tow the trailer a couple of question
Pay careful attention to the vehicle manufacturers specs.
My Discover 2 Td5, according to Land Rover, can tow 3500kg with a ball weight of 250kg ON ROAD. Off road Land Rover say 1000kg with 150kg ball weight. Our camper weights about 1800kg with a ball weight of around 160kg when fully loaded so on crappy roads (Old Strzelecki Track springs to mind) we have to take it very easy as we are well over the Land Rover off road limits.
The forward fold camper trailers seem heavy but as my wife and I are in our late 50,s we feel that they have a level of comfort that we need

The level of comfort in our FF is brilliant but opening and closing its pretty hard work without the winches to assist. As others have said. Make good and sure that you try before you buy.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Mark, does LR define what they consider "off road"?
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline mick k

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
thanks all for your input
 my vehicle should tow  a ff camper as i am not a extreme off road junkie ,as long as i take it easy
the forward fold i have seen look to be relatively easy to put up
still looking for a second hand one , but might buy new if i cant find good one, some good ones out there

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
Gday,

IMO

Within reason, yep, a quite capable towrig. No rock crawling  tho....  :)

No, but have a read of other threads on here about high and incorrectly advertised tow ball weights.

Cheers.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Quote from: mick k
the forward fold i have seen look to be relatively easy to put up

So are many soft floors and nearly any hard floor. And nearly any trailer once your used to it is simple - its the extras that take the time... awnings, chairs, tables etc etc.

You have said your concerned about the ball weight, and nearly everyone agrees that its a concern but your still going with it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
Mark, does LR define what they consider "off road"?

Sorry it's taken so long - we were forced to go up to Omeo for a week to relax, eat, relax, eat and sleep whilst consuming good wine. It was so hard that we had to take our daughter and grandson with us.

Anyway. LR, as far as I know, don't bother to define "off road" probably because that'd make sense and be logical and therefore can't be done.

Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com