Author Topic: How do you get your mojo back for your 4x4?  (Read 18021 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How do you get your mojo back for your 4x4?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
Well said Steffo, totally agree.
What's wrong with a wooden handled shovel.
Only $25.00 at your local hardware store.
got one hanging off the roofrack of my new 4wd, aswell as my 10 year old awning  8)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
We go through marmite (vegemite) stages with our 4Runner - loving it or hating it...

Yes, it has it's faults (currently in the CBF to fix bin) as the head gaskets are leaking oil a bit, and is starting to get a bit tired all up with 328,000km on the body and chassis and unknown on the motor (we know it's had an engine swap at least once...). We'll get it sorted, as I have some spare heads here and a whole spare motor lined up...

What gets us liking the bugger again is:
A) Planning a trip - the trip to Tasmania, 6,000km door to door, was fantastic to plan (or not - we didn't have much of a plan)
B) Doing the trip, and seeing how well it does.

This realisation of how well it does makes us question what we replace it with, or do we replace it?

How many other 25 year old, 3.0 petrol, $3,000 4x4s can do that 6,000km trip averaging 14.5L/100km towing a 760kg camper trailer 95% of the time? OK we made sure we travelled light, but even so...

When you look at how much it costs to run (and has cost to run) you start to question what you do next - Quick guestimate is that we've spent about $3k on it in the last 3.5 years on modifications and non-maintenance repairs (HG's, improved exhaust and power steering pump) so really that's less than many people lose in depreciation in that time, and averaged over the 75,000km we've done, I'm quite happy with that as a number. We could probably still get around the $3k mark for it, on a good day...
Same , occasionally I hanker for a new you beaute 4by but at 3k in non major repairs in 11 years and get nearly 900klms from 80 ltrs nothing else will come close without spending over 50k for a vehicle to replace it.

Sent from my K4000_PRO using Tapatalk

MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »
haha that V8 Pajero sounds like the go...

Fixed the oil leak today and removed and prepped the side steps for some new paint. Took the old girl for a drive, much noisier that the other 2 cars but that diesel torque is pretty awesome.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
Went down this road 2 months ago.
Decided it was time to sell our completley kitted out 11 year old Navara and upgrade.
It took 6 days to sell the Nav for the full asking price.
I have missed it every day since the new owner picked it up...
Bill

"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:27 AM »
Quote from: loanrangie
Same , occasionally I hanker for a new you beaute 4by
I can never find something that appeals to me to replace the GU with.
Add to that stories of new 4b's getting 1 tank of bad fuel and your up for a new home loan to repair your u beaut boat anchor.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
I am still driving my 86 Nissan, and still love it. It has the odd upgrade though. ;D

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
I have the same issue with my XR6 at the moment... I love it, and people seem to get a kick out of seeing me (quite the "girly girl" in appearance, LOL) driving around in a trayback ute! The amusement value of the looks on peoples' faces never gets old. ;) But I'm... kind of bored with it. I had grand plans when I bought it to kit it out with a custom timber tray and leather seats, but never got around to it and its too old to justify spending the money on aesthetics now. She goes well, is awesome to drive - I'd gladly do 800+ km's in a day driving that thing. It costs me practically nothing and as far as depreciation goes I haven't lost much money on it if I was to turn around and sell it tomorrow...

But what else do I get? Have been toying with the idea of buying a Suzi Jimny and building my own little off road car, but not sure the bank account would like us having 2 four wheel drives in the family, and probably wouldn't be as fun to drive on the bitumen. ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
I can never find something that appeals to me to replace the GU with.
Add to that stories of new 4b's getting 1 tank of bad fuel and your up for a new home loan to repair your u beaut boat anchor.

That is part of the problem plus i dont want to get finance for a new vehicle and dont like any of the jap/thai offerings, and i treat my disco like a ute most of the time and dont care about the bush pin stripes.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 02:02:46 PM »
Quote from: loanrangie
... dont like any of the jap/thai offerings, and i treat my disco like a ute most of the time and dont care about the bush pin stripes.
yea none of the banana backs are appealing  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Speaking of mojo, i just replaced all the rubbers on my 10yo koni gas/hydraulic shocks and its like a new car.
 Also replaced my leaking steering box so it no longer marks its territory.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
Really struggling with this lately. I'm just about 95% ready to sell 4b and all camping gear up.

Running a snow trip up Skene for club in couple of weeks, and really have no interest in going.  Even planning what to take is turning me off. 

Last 3 trips I've done the weather has been pretty abysmal which hasn't helped.. I ****in hate camping in Shit weather.

Family never really show much interest in going - or lets put it this way they never say 'lets go camping next week'... If I arrange everything they will reluctantly tag along. None of my mates go camping or wheeling anymore, and the club that I'm in has 2 trips between now and Xmas.  Paying rego on Patrol and camper for nort.
Problem is I don't have any other hobbies.

Anyone else going through this?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
....Problem is I don't have any other hobbies.

Have you tried crochet?.... :P

Camping at any time is a raffle, weather-wise. Shoulda come to the national meet (for more than 5 mins).
Chin up.....things should get a bit more lively once we get through winter.

No going back, once you sell the car and camper....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
Really struggling with this lately. I'm just about 95% ready to sell 4b and all camping gear up.

Running a snow trip up Skene for club in couple of weeks, and really have no interest in going.  Even planning what to take is turning me off. 

Last 3 trips I've done the weather has been pretty abysmal which hasn't helped.. I ****in hate camping in Shit weather.

Family never really show much interest in going - or lets put it this way they never say 'lets go camping next week'... If I arrange everything they will reluctantly tag along. None of my mates go camping or wheeling anymore, and the club that I'm in has 2 trips between now and Xmas.  Paying rego on Patrol and camper for nort.

Similar.  Since 2008 have organised two 4x4 weekends a year, June and November.  That included not just organising the drives tracks locations etc, but to help make it a bit harder we ended up catering for the weekends as well while camping out.  Had a few good people helping with us end thankfully they have taken on organising the June long weekend for us for the last two years but the November weekend died off.  We reached a stage that by the time the weekends came around we were looking to just stay home and just too buggered to really enjoy the weekends.  Over the past two years I can't remember actually 4wding, due to number of reasons.  Still keen to get back into.  For me my interest has changed slightly in a different direction to what others want to do for the weekends but all is good.  I will get back into it.   One day.   Life and circumstances change.

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »

Thats sucks the big one. How old are the kids? Can you do an overnighter just you and some mates?
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
FFS Nabs this is depressing, Go get a test drive in an Audi SQ7 and rip the cap out some beach.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »
I repainted all the bar work recently including brush bars, bull bar and the rear wheel carrier bar.  It is the second time I have done it.  I just use a brush with a silicon based black enamel.  It looks unreal, and the silicon smooths out the brush strokes so it doesn't look like it has been done with a brush.

I too have done pretty much all the mods I can do on this Cruza.  I have had it for over 8.5 years now but there is nothing out there to replace it unless I spend upwards of $50k which isn't going to happen.

Sometimes you are much better off keeping what you own.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:52 AM »

Yep, still going through the same thing. NFI what to do with the Prado and camper. I watch a few 4wd videos and get the rush to go for a drive, then all the family stuff, weather etc. gets in the way. Plus the Outback does 90% of what the Prado can do as a family transport/tourer. These days we spend our time driving to places to ride MTB trails rather than 4wd tracks.

I've just done a clean up in the garage and sold a whole bunch of camping/4wd stuff that was surplus to fund some bike upgrades. Maybe do the same and get out on a bike. You're still in the bush and you're getting fit too. Lysterfield isn't too far away from you. Maybe we need a swaggers Lysty day? :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:21 AM »
l having a New Heavy Duty clutch put in my Paj at 274K , that will put a bit of MOJO & aheap of $ as well  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
You sounds like me, the building part of the car is fun and you have grand plans on using it, but once it is done you just don't end up using it for some reason.

Life definitely gets in the way but best thing you can do is try to commit to a weekend and make it happen. Most of my mates don't seem interested anymore either, I guess I am lucky that I have a mrs who is itching to go camping most of the time. We just had a son so I am doing some camper upgrades atm so we can get out there once he is a little older.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »

Ya need to get back into bikes mate, restoring my old H2 has sparked my interests in camping with the bike and has also put a spark back into touring with both the 4B and bike.

I usually ask the daughter if she wants to go camping and usually replies with "lets take the bikes" mum can drag the camper along :cup:
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Have a squiz at this perhaps, especially Nomads effort!

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52618.0
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
Ya need to get back into bikes mate, restoring my old H2 has sparked my interests in camping with the bike and has also put a spark back into touring with both the 4B and bike.

I usually ask the daughter if she wants to go camping and usually replies with "lets take the bikes" mum can drag the camper along :cup:

Yep just restoring them that's got me a bit interested ATM got a ducati pantah and Kawasaki A1 250
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
Keep the Paj mate. Unless you need the coin, Iam like that with a boat owes me nothing and reckon I'll miss it if it goes even though I use it rarely
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
Due to the kids having their sport commitments we are getting out less than before.
However if I go out I love it every time.
That's a good thing about being a member of a 4WD club, you are with like minded people/families.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar