Author Topic: CAMPING TIPS (that you might not have thought of, post here)  (Read 159341 times)

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: CAMPING TIPS (that you might not have thought of, post here)
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
Several folk have commented that they cover the camper bed with a tarp to prevent moisture/dirt getting onto the bedding.

I use a picnic rug instead.  One of those ones with plastic on the back and a bit of foam between the plastic and the fabric. Fabric side against the bedding, obviously.

In the spirit of making sure your stuff has multiple uses, this has a few advantages:
1. less likely to accidentally put the dirty side against the bedding as you can easily see which side is which
2. can leave it in place to provide some extra warmth when the night is colder than expected
3. can even be used to have a picnic on!!

I currently only bother covering the bottom 2/3s of the bed where the floor can touch when folded.  I'll probably get around to buying a second or bigger one to give full coverage.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Swags, we jut brought some. Having a youngest child that still occasionally wets the bed the first thing I brought for their swags was a pvc mattress protector (actually really cheap from KMart if you're not fussed on having one of those terry towling backed ones).
Now from that I got an idea to buy 2 pvc mattress protectors so that I can put one on the bottom of the matress and then one on top, this means that the matress will be completely protected from getting wet or damp in particular considering the swags have a canvas base which would get saturated if sleeping in a pool of water. I will do the same with ours I reckon, but it will only be necessary to put a pvc mattress protector on the bottom.

I think it's  a beaut idea because you still have the benefit of the breathability of a full canvas swag but the mattress is protected for those times that make camping that much more memorable (adverse weather etc etc)
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline Wargod_70

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »
1) When packing up the tent, leave little gaps in the windows and doors - i.e. dont zip them up fully, this way when you collapse the tent and try and re-erect it you wont have to fight suctions trying to keep it shut.

2) Dont eat yellow snow  ;D
Horse walks into a pub, barman asks why the long face?    |    8 out of 10 statistics are made up on the spot

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
Three hints from me:)
1. with the tent peg puller grab a guy rope and a spare peg wrap the guy around the spare peg with the loop down about 6 inches, gets them out easy and if stuck tight adjust the loop till you are almost standing and use your knees to get the leverage.
2. Great use of a sam or military splint is to use it as a stubby holder, great insulator as you have a foam layer, aluminum and another foam layer:)
3. take note of any markings on the road like Kilometer markers, if your in a strange place it is difficult to describe where you are , but you can describe how long ago you left what point of interest and how far to the next town etc. Sorry I think medical 90% of the time and it really annoys Ambos when they dont know where you are when you need them.
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
I have used hammerlocks at the end of the safety chains, I think they are 1.3 ton rated and the 2 ton rated shackles cannot come out of them. A small cable tie secures the pins when traveling.
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
My tip - buy 1 or 2 of those fold up buckets.  We have a small one we keep with water in with a bit of liquid soap to wash our hands during the day.  It was also used by the other half at Xmas to keep his yabbies in so I had to buy another .... it too got used for bait (but I did reclaim it to do some clothes washing!).  They fold up flat and come in a number of different sizes and are very handy & versatile!

What type of folding bucket do you use?

Welchy

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
What type of folding bucket do you use?

Welchy

I use one too there great, mine is a 15l bucket. I'll grab a pic tomorrow and post it up if I get a chance if you like. I picked it up from Anaconda I think it was for $20 approx.

http://camping.anaconda.com.au/search?p=Q&lbc=anaconda&uid=677126856&ts=custom&w=folding%20bucket&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=cat1%3aaccessories

It's not like this one. I have a steel handle and a plastic rim and base. It looks more sturdy than this one.

Cheers
Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
This is the one Rich, I bought one myself after seeing yours the other week.  :cup:

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Fishing/15-Litre-Foldable-Bucket#90025871002

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »
This is the one Rich, I bought one myself after seeing yours the other week.  :cup:

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Fishing/15-Litre-Foldable-Bucket#90025871002

Yep that's it mate, It came in handy putting out that campfire we came across still going with nobody in sight...
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »
I use one too there great, mine is a 15l bucket. I'll grab a pic tomorrow and post it up if I get a chance if you like. I picked it up from Anaconda I think it was for $20 approx.

http://camping.anaconda.com.au/search?p=Q&lbc=anaconda&uid=677126856&ts=custom&w=folding%20bucket&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=cat1%3aaccessories

It's not like this one. I have a steel handle and a plastic rim and base. It looks more sturdy than this one.

Cheers
Rich

HAHAHA - i alredy have this one.  It was more that you cant "leave a littel bit of water in it".  Kinda needs to be full to stand up.

Welchy

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2012, 03:00:10 AM »
A tip to take into consideration when camping in warm/hot weather....

Make sure the kids dont leave crayons on there beds in the camper as they WILL melt to there beds......-

I'll post pics when I get the camera out....

rich

Just read this first post. Don't let your kids crayons sit on your pristine dash board either. They melt everywhere and, no I don't like having a pink and green dashmat.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Willow Girl

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Him, Her and the boys :)
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
We keep LED headlamps in the glove box of the 4x4 for when we get to our camping spot after dark. They are fantastic! also great for when your cooking and making a midnight dash to the dunny. ;D
Him, Her and the boys!
2003 Pajero

9ft Khaki Customline tent on a full off road custom trailer :-)

and a wish list a mile long.....

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »
Beware the electric brakes after washing the camper.I gave ours a good wash after the last muddy trip,then it sat in the shed for a couple of weeks.towed it this morning and it locked up at the first corner!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:49:49 PM by pedeosar »
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline Dappers

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
Keys are a bit of a pain especially with them being electronic and expensive to replace. We have a small safe bolted into the tray of the truck so we can lock wallets keys etc in. For those with Trucks where is what looks like a big padlock which has a combination and hooks over a wishbone or other part under car. These can be found on surf/diving websites.     

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
Keys are a bit of a pain especially with them being electronic and expensive to replace. We have a small safe bolted into the tray of the truck so we can lock wallets keys etc in. For those with Trucks where is what looks like a big padlock which has a combination and hooks over a wishbone or other part under car. These can be found on surf/diving websites.     
I have 1 on the CT very handy & only about $50 at Locksmith  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
Any links to these?

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
Beware the electric brakes after washing the camper.I gave ours a good wash after the last muddy trip,then it sat in the shed for a couple of weeks.towed it this morning and it locked up at the first corner!!

Not sure if it's common, but mine lock up the first application out of the shed every time regardless of being washed or not, I wonder if it's the surface rust on the inside of the drum giving extra grip initially and once that's wiped off things go back to normal.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Dappers

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
No links as I have a small safe with a key which came from Bunnings $30 any locksmith or surf shop/site have seen them in use bid enough for keys and wallet will have a look see if I can find a link

Dappers

Offline loshde

• Tent User
« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
not sure if it has been said as yet but we use frisbies for the kids plates because they can double as well .... frisbies  ;D

crai

Talk about double uses for plates.  My hubby recently walked the Kokoda Track and he took some frisbies (along with other bits and pieces) for the local kids.  Some of the kids were fighting over the frisbies so their mother came out, gave them a whack, took the frisbies off them, turned them over and served food on them.  Problem solved

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
Talk about double uses for plates.  My hubby recently walked the Kokoda Track and he took some frisbies (along with other bits and pieces) for the local kids.  Some of the kids were fighting over the frisbies so their mother came out, gave them a whack, took the frisbies off them, turned them over and served food on them.  Problem solved

:cup: What a great mental image...

In my mind she was just like the big fat black lady from Tom & Jerry...
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline martyn

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
Try to use devices that take the same size battery. I use a gazillion Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries, I no longer use anything in d or c size.

If you do have devices that require C's you can use http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translucent-1-aa-to-c-battery-converter-cases-2-pack-22595 to convert AA's to C. They work like a charm although sometimes you need a little allfoil to help the battery make contact.

Offline McAbouts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
Not sure if this is on here already as it does go for pages. If you take your favorite 4 legged friend camping and he's black put a glow stick on his collar. I keep a packet in the camper and when used once can be popped in the freezer and used again the next night. I was getting a bit sick of tripping over our pooch and this solves my problem.

Cheers
Louise :D
2002 Prado
2010 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
Carry a set of ear plugs with you, you never know who you might have beside you when camping

GG