Author Topic: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.  (Read 222508 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
Yes, agree, very sad to hear of the passing of someone with so much respect from those around him.
He was obviously trying to do the best he could for those around him in the community.
Hope the celebration of his life goes well.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Whistler

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #551 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Hi Mark. April this year was the tenth year that my wife and I have been on the road. And yes we are back in Maningrida again. It's something about these remote communities that draws you in keeps you coming back. Good to see you up in the territory and getting amongst the fish. I can not see us heading back south for a while yet.

Whistler

Life is not a rehearsal, just do it

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Hi Mark. April this year was the tenth year that my wife and I have been on the road. And yes we are back in Maningrida again. It's something about these remote communities that draws you in keeps you coming back. Good to see you up in the territory and getting amongst the fish. I can not see us heading back south for a while yet.

Whistler

Your just across the road from us. Yes when you find a great community its so easy to stay for quite awhile. We may be here for another 2 years. We already have a year here under our belt.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #553 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »
I had the chance to take off after work on Saturday to meet up with other friends from the community to camp over night at a place called Nardirri.

This is an outstation, that even thought has been abandoned, is located at the mouth of the Moyle River.

We camped on the beach and set up to fish for that afternoon and and next day. I am always nervous driving on the beach after what happened last time but no issues this time. The tide movement is about 5.5 metres so a lot of water moves between the tides.

Unfortunately the tides were not the best as dead low is the ideal fishing time as the Barra sit in the run out tide waiting for the bait fish,  but we tried. I took out a local store worker who had never been there and he appreciated the opportunity.

We fished all Sat afternoon but we were only catching catfish and sharks. The next morning the tide was high and we continued the hard task of fishing. We had plenty of live bait and as the tide dropped the catfish kept biting.

Then the Barra hit but not on my line. I was 50 metres from my fellow fisherman and he was catching the Barra and I was catching the catfish. Then as I had my rod in a metal rod holder it fell over and the rod was being taken along the sand. As I was about 50 feet from it I had to run quickly to grab it as it was being dragged down the beach towards the water. Bloody nearly had a heart attack running that quick to grab it with my hopes that it was a massive Barra, finally.

I grabbed the rod as it was about to enter the water and started winding it in. It was big and pulling hard, you beauty, I am onto a monster. Kept playing it and I thought this does not feel like a big Barra. After 20 minutes I bought it up close. Well bugger me it was a 6 foot shark that I could not recognise. I asked my fellow worker to come over and he nearly crapped himself. Shark he said, no Shite I said. I tried to get numerous pics but a little hard and this is the best I got. It's tail had been bitten previously by either another shark or one of the many big crocs in the area.

After cutting the line to let the shark go we decided to pack up and head home. My worker caught 3 Barra. The best time is to fish at low tide but then you have to walk and fish in the mud. Now this is fun as there are some sharp broken shells in this mud and I am typing this with cuts to my feet from the joy of walking in the mud. Who said fisherman don't go the next level to catch fish. This is the mud, which if you slip being close to the edge, you are in the water with the crocs who are also trying to catch the Barra you are.

Even though we left with only 3 Barra it is still a great place to relax and fish. The bonus is that it's only about an hour and a half drive from Peppimenarti.

Mark

KingBilly

« Reply #554 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
Nice camp and fishing spot mate.  Very jealous.  Thanks for sharing, again  :cup:

KB

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #555 on: July 31, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
Ok ok.....I am hoping you are going to show us Barra catching next year......not sharks....
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #556 on: July 31, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »
Ok ok.....I am hoping you are going to show us Barra catching next year......not sharks....

You can never have enough practice Mark. It's great watching the locals catch Barra on basic hand lines and their style.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline kelslawler

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #557 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
Hi McGirr,

Very interesting post as we plan to pick up work on our way around next year , How did you come across the job ? ???

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
Hi McGirr,

Very interesting post as we plan to pick up work on our way around next year , How did you come across the job ? ???

We have built up our resume working in very remote areas. We had no experience working in community stores but percervered working with some, lets say, very interesting people.

We applied for our current job, which was on gumtree, and have never looked back. All our jobs we have gotten have been on gumtree. Use the word remote when searching gumtree for a job, such as remote couple, remote managers, remote Roadhouse etc.

We have been in our current job since June last year and love it. The company we are employed by is great and they appreciate what we do and we will stay with them for a while. Even though our idea was to continually travel we have called Peppimenarti home and in the future who knows where will be. That's the exciting part of what we do.

We have met some fantastic people and the community we work in, is safe and they are very respectful. Even the store committee never want us to leave, which makes us feel appreciated for the work we do. After our 3 month Kimberley trip next year we will head back here for another year and see what happens after that.

It depends if you are just going traveling for a year or have an open ticket in a sense. It also depends where you work as you get to see places that are off the beaten track. You can either do the normal tourist route, like most travelers do or look for more exciting places in remote areas.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure ahead.

Mark

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #559 on: August 12, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
I had the chance to take off after work on Saturday to meet up with other friends from the community to camp over night at a place called Nardirri.

This is an outstation, that even thought has been abandoned, is located at the mouth of the Moyle River.

We camped on the beach and set up to fish for that afternoon and and next day. I am always nervous driving on the beach after what happened last time but no issues this time. The tide movement is about 5.5 metres so a lot of water moves between the tides.

Unfortunately the tides were not the best as dead low is the ideal fishing time as the Barra sit in the run out tide waiting for the bait fish,  but we tried. I took out a local store worker who had never been there and he appreciated the opportunity.

We fished all Sat afternoon but we were only catching catfish and sharks. The next morning the tide was high and we continued the hard task of fishing. We had plenty of live bait and as the tide dropped the catfish kept biting.

Then the Barra hit but not on my line. I was 50 metres from my fellow fisherman and he was catching the Barra and I was catching the catfish. Then as I had my rod in a metal rod holder it fell over and the rod was being taken along the sand. As I was about 50 feet from it I had to run quickly to grab it as it was being dragged down the beach towards the water. Bloody nearly had a heart attack running that quick to grab it with my hopes that it was a massive Barra, finally.

I grabbed the rod as it was about to enter the water and started winding it in. It was big and pulling hard, you beauty, I am onto a monster. Kept playing it and I thought this does not feel like a big Barra. After 20 minutes I bought it up close. Well bugger me it was a 6 foot shark that I could not recognise. I asked my fellow worker to come over and he nearly crapped himself. Shark he said, no Shite I said. I tried to get numerous pics but a little hard and this is the best I got. It's tail had been bitten previously by either another shark or one of the many big crocs in the area.

After cutting the line to let the shark go we decided to pack up and head home. My worker caught 3 Barra. The best time is to fish at low tide but then you have to walk and fish in the mud. Now this is fun as there are some sharp broken shells in this mud and I am typing this with cuts to my feet from the joy of walking in the mud. Who said fisherman don't go the next level to catch fish. This is the mud, which if you slip being close to the edge, you are in the water with the crocs who are also trying to catch the Barra you are.

Even though we left with only 3 Barra it is still a great place to relax and fish. The bonus is that it's only about an hour and a half drive from Peppimenarti.

Mark

How friggin good, is this scene setting!  :cup:

Fo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #560 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
A nice barra caught just near the shop. Missed 2 others. The resident 3.8 mtr croc was also hanging around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: themissus

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Well its that time of year out here where the wet season orders hit.

If anyone has nothing to do next week feel free to drop in and help break down 32 pallets.

Peppimenarti is not that far away.

Mark

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »
Hang on, I'll just jump in the car.  >:D

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #563 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:12:11 PM by tryagain »

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #564 on: November 17, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
Well its that time of year out here where the wet season orders hit.

If anyone has nothing to do next week feel free to drop in and help break down 32 pallets.

Peppimenarti is not that far away.

Mark

Na..you need someway to justify your drinks at the end of they day
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #565 on: November 17, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
We have an extensive bar that would make you drool  ;D

Mark

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #566 on: November 19, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
After numerous discussions Penny and I have decided to finish our job out here at Peppimenarti just before we head to the Kimberley next year. Leaving around 22nd April 2018 which would mean we have spent around 22 months in the community.

The reason is that we would rather leave the community on a high rather than stay another year where we would get to a stage that we would feel that this is a normal life and be mundane.

We have a wet season to go through where we will be isolated for up to 4 months. We also feel we have achieved what we can in assisting the community. The company we work for have been advised and they are keen to have us continue working for them when we finish our Kimberley Trip.

All we need to do is update our resume, which will look quite good, and go from there.

Looking forward to our next adventure.  :cheers:

Mark

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
Follow the nose Mr / Mrs  Mcgirr  to where ever the journey takes you to the next chapter . Would be very nice to have that freedom of choice ... All the best to you both ..  :cup:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #568 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
We thought we would head out to the coast this morning for some fishing. Unfortunatly we had a bit of rain overnight but still thought we would give it a go.

After traveling about 20klms we decided that it was not worth going any furthet due to uncertainty of not getting back before dark and more rain heading our way.

Still good to see the area during the start of the wet season.

Mark

The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline filcar

• Tent User
« Reply #569 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
We thought we would head out to the coast this morning for some fishing. Unfortunatly we had a bit of rain overnight but still thought we would give it a go.

After traveling about 20klms we decided that it was not worth going any furthet due to uncertainty of not getting back before dark and more rain heading our way.

Still good to see the area during the start of the wet season.

Mark

That's a "bit of rain" huh?

Defender 90 towing AussieSwag Ultra D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #570 on: December 03, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
Looks like the roads around me at the moment    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #571 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
The rangers out here in Peppimenarti are spraying for weeds and offered some of us a quick flight in the helicopter that they were using. No door just a seat belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #572 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
Need a lot of roundup for that lot of weed

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #573 on: December 03, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »
now thats just showing off

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
The rangers out here in Peppimenarti are spraying for weeds and offered some of us a quick flight in the helicopter that they were using.

So I suppose you want to swap the drone for a Robinson now, Mark ???

"No, dear, really, it's only so I can get better photo's" :angel: :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday