Author Topic: Steel or Plastic Jerry Cans????  (Read 14868 times)

bushfly

Re: Steel or Plastic Jerry Cans????
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 10:23:08 PM »

It's an interesting subject. Most replies are related to carrying fuel of one type or another.

I was just wondering what type of "jerry" can you swagers use for water. I recently carried 3 diesel Plastic jerry's on the front of the CT on a long trip without a problem but my plastic backup water Jerry split. Twice. Not from stones but just split open. I searched for strong replacement ones but found none available. All were not as strong {thick} as the fuel type. I replaced it with a red Petrol Jerry and marked it WATER. I didn't have a problem after that. Just not keen on it as a permanent option but not keen on steel for water either.      ???

Cheers
Bushfly

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »

It's an interesting subject. Most replies are related to carrying fuel of one type or another.

I was just wondering what type of "jerry" can you swagers use for water. I recently carried 3 diesel Plastic jerry's on the front of the CT on a long trip without a problem but my plastic backup water Jerry split. Twice. Not from stones but just split open. I searched for strong replacement ones but found none available. All were not as strong {thick} as the fuel type. I replaced it with a red Petrol Jerry and marked it WATER. I didn't have a problem after that. Just not keen on it as a permanent option but not keen on steel for water either.      ???

Cheers
Bushfly

Mate,

Go to an Army disposal and get the Army green plastic jerry cans. These are the best for carrying water IMO........

Cheers.

Teabag
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Wato

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:41 PM »
I second that, have got one each side of the trailer for extra water, been there for two and a bit years and covered a lot of country without a problem.  :cup:

Craig
2003 3ltr Patrol
2003 Camel Beachcomber Camper Trailer

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
me three...!

got one of these for water and its never been a problem.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:55 AM »
Me 4.  The Green plastic cans are also carry 22l instead of 20l, plus they are not quite as tall as the Willow type and hence have less clearance issues if you have a lift up bed base.
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:27 AM »
Here is a picture of the Army Green plastic jerry......

http://www.proquip.com.au/Images/Jerry%20Can%20Main%20Page/Water%20Can%20Page/1003.jpg

Or here is a metal NATO blue version if you would prefer metal.....

http://www.proquip.com.au/Images/Jerry%20Can%20Main%20Page/Water%20Can%20Page/0971.jpg

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline BurnsOil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
There is also another version that has two openings, one small and one large.  This container appears strongly constructed, however I can't find a reference to it on the Net.  Snowy's Camping in Adelaide have them.
Challenge 'Outback' Off Road Deluxe Camper Trailer;
Nissan Pathfinder R51 ST TD Man, Smartbar, Spotlights, AirLift 1000, Rhino Roof Racks, Waeco CF-50, dual battery, Uniden TX3440 UHF.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
There is also another version that has two openings, one small and one large.  This container appears strongly constructed, ......
I borrowed 3 of these (yellow colour) for a recent trip to WA - no dramas with them, water did not pick up any taste. Would prefer a darker colour just to ensure no long term algae growth.

cheers

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »
There is also another version that has two openings, one small and one large.  This container appears strongly constructed, however I can't find a reference to it on the Net.  Snowy's Camping in Adelaide have them.

This has the two openings, one large and one small.......Disposals are generally the best place to go and get the original Army version.......Though some may prefer the metal version also shown.........

PS: Please note that these are for "Water Only" ...........
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:38:35 PM by Teabag »

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »
I have had 3 of the yellow water containers for at least 10 years and never had any dramas.

I also have 2 plastic fuel jerry cans that have seen a far bit of service over the last 15 years and are still going strong. The only thing I do is make sure there is a piece of cardboard between them if they are touching to help stop them rubbing through each other over the corrugations. I have also seen the steel jerries rub through. Beauty of the plastic ones is that they don't rattle, although when I used to carry unleaded they could just about go spherical when empty and it was quite hot. Would recommend the plastic.

Offline corhijas

• its coming to me?
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • 2001 Jayco Outback Eagle
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
definitely steel is the way to go for me,plastic just won't last like steel(imo) :cheers:
make the most of now

bushfly

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone.
The green army type are just what I was looking for, but obviously not in the right places.

I also carried 3 yellow plastic jerry cans over many K's without problems, but they are my Diesel  containers. I think that yellow is the recognised colour for Diesel and red for petrol. Everywhere I tried it was a choice of Red Yellow or Clear/blue. No Green HD.

It was the clear/tinted blue containers, nominated as for water that I had splitting problems with.
I had not come across the green Army type before and thats what's great about this forum, been able to tap into other's experience and ideas.        :cheers:

Thanks
Bushfly

Offline wannawodka

• Swag User
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 01:03:10 AM »
Some of the bigger dedicated camping stores should have them.
2003 Prado Grande
2009 Camel Beachcomber CT
2008 Son
19## Wife

Offline corhijas

• its coming to me?
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • 2001 Jayco Outback Eagle
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
i also have the plastic hd for water,cost was about 35 from memory and bought from disposal store in hamilton vic,has been in the weather for the last year and so far no probs with splitting or cracking
still-i would not trust it to hold petrol or diesel,ok for water thou (imo)
make the most of now

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
Anyone seen these in Oz, they look to be a good idea, http://www.expeditionone.biz/Geri_intro.htm

GG

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
I have 4 steel Jerry's mainly because Biodiesel and Plastic can be a little bit of a problem...   Those Tanami Pump's are sold on ebay and you can now also get them for plastic jerry's as well...

I made something similar about 7 years ago to move biodiesel from 205litre drums...   You really need to be mindful when playing with low pressures in containers of those sizes you could have a little accident quite easily if you don't watch what you are doing....  A good relief valve is a must and a low pressure regulator another must....

But I have never found a relief valve that suited me so I make sure I have the pressure low on the regulator and a hand on the air tap to only let in enough air to move the fuel....   BTW my little on board compressor will move 150litre bio in about 10-15mins and beauty using that is that I find it does not over pressurise the Drum.....

KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »
If you want to have water at ARB  Richmond Vic they have stainless steel 20L short squat Jerry's . I asked the price about $250 each , they haven't sold to many .Can you belive that  ???   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 05:20:35 AM »
If you want to have water at ARB  Richmond Vic they have stainless steel 20L short squat Jerry's . I asked the price about $250 each , they haven't sold to many .Can you belive that  ???   :cheers:
For that bargain price I cant imagine why they havn't sold many Speewa  :o :o ??? ???
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline james2115

• Swag User
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
definitely steel is the way to go for me,plastic just won't last like steel(imo) :cheers:

I agree - I bought 2 steel jerry cans because I'm sure (from memory) that the plastic ones said not to leave out in the sun.  Bit hard if the cans are on the side of your trailer!

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »
Black Rheem jerries are the go in my opinion. I have played soldiers and chucked out 1/2 the steel jerries taken on a cape convoy due to split seams or failed seals. Never binned a plastic water jerry.

This is not an issue standard water jerry, the plastic is to thin and the caps aren't up to standard.

These ones are the go. 2 vented serrated caps with O rings, one big, one small and you could use it to chock a tank. Issue ones have no hole for a tap, but the civi version does. They also may have the Nato Stock Number 7240-66-054-4944 which is a give away.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:49:52 PM by Hoyks »