Author Topic: Kimberley Kamper - buying 2nd hand  (Read 6661 times)

Offline bigred

• Tent User
Kimberley Kamper - buying 2nd hand
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
Hi All,

I am going to have a good look at a used 05 KK limited edition this weekend. Having never owned a CT before just wanting to know is there anything in particular I should be taking a very close look at this weekend when looking at this CT?

I have looked at a few now around this vintage and have tried to be thorough but as a newb I'm sure I miss a fair bit.

Regards

Damien
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Kimberley Kamper - buying 2nd hand
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »
The one thing that gets discussed regularly is the batteries. Small and numerous, if they've been upgraded it is a real plus. I believe there was a kitchen upgrade around then too, but if what you see suits you it won't matter what version it is.

These are a quality camper with few issues, I'd say checking for reasonable wear and tear will be the main thing.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
Bigred, hang one on your towbar and see how your tug likes it. When loaded they have a lot of weight in front of their axle. I have 2 mates with them and reckon its a big negative. They can't even lift them off or on the tug empty. Maybe things have changed with later models. For what its worth.  ;D
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
They are even worse now. The drawbar weight is there biggest downfall. They are strong as though, mine has been bashed all over the country side with no issues. Its an 04. Mine didnt have the small multiple batteries, yours may. The quality of the canvas is the best i have seen on a camper, i guess just make sure its been looked after.
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:58:12 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Thanks Fella's

The batteries are "near new" - with the amount of use the kamper has had - I suspect from my phone call that it has had pretty good use - I suspose we would all want one that is used once and been in the garage ever since.  It's actually an 04 after a second look at the ad.

Would it concern you to buy one second hand that has had a hardish life?

cheers
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
That depends on the condition and maintenance, and the price. I'd be happy to buy one that had been well used, as those things that wear out can be replaced. It's the overall build quality that sets them apart to this point.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Would it concern you to buy one second hand that has had a hardish life?

cheers
they are not your average cheap trailer... it should be good if looked after. DEPENDING on price and what it comes with.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »
Mate, I mechanically fastidious but i use my gear when its out. It has taken it all and laughed at me. If it looks maintained (not just washed) i think you will be fine. Obviously the price should be adjusted
Darren
Living the Dream.

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
Thanks Gents - appreciate the assistance again.
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline allanjennison

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
The main item I would be checking is the seal of the tent to the floor adjacent to the hinged floor/lid. This can be torn if the tent catches the post holding the bows and will allow bulldust entry.
The insect screens would be worth a check as they can be damaged if the windows have not been fully zipped up prior to packup and then travel on rough roads.
Otherwise you are just looking at normal maintenance needs/issues - wheel bearings, brake fluid, swing arms. If the owner has service records all the better. The gas struts may be a little tired depending on the extent of use but will not cause a problem.
I have noted with a smile the earlier comments about the weight of the Kimberley Kamper. I have had mine since 2001 and haven't regretted the extra weight for a moment. Rather the opposite when in extremely tough conditions and seeing units in trouble. Really it is each to their own.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »
The weight issue is the same for all hard floor campers.....just depends whether you want to live with it! !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
The weight issue is a common issue and whatever weight you hang on your tow bar has to be subtracted from the vehicles weight carrying capacity. When I researched this a while back I found that a vehicle full of fuel, "all the stuff" we take along and two adults would be easily overloaded with excessive weight hanging on the drawbar. This is often "fixed" with air bags or heavy duty springs. The trailer should carry its own weight and load without overloading the tow vehicle IMO. We read a lot about legalities and insurance on here and this is just further food for thought.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
And the KK is light in comparison with other hard floor trailers.
I don't regret buying one. only finding time (and warm weather) to use it.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
The main item I would be checking is the seal of the tent to the floor adjacent to the hinged floor/lid. This can be torn if the tent catches the post holding the bows and will allow bulldust entry.
The insect screens would be worth a check as they can be damaged if the windows have not been fully zipped up prior to packup and then travel on rough roads.
Otherwise you are just looking at normal maintenance needs/issues - wheel bearings, brake fluid, swing arms. If the owner has service records all the better. The gas struts may be a little tired depending on the extent of use but will not cause a problem.
I have noted with a smile the earlier comments about the weight of the Kimberley Kamper. I have had mine since 2001 and haven't regretted the extra weight for a moment. Rather the opposite when in extremely tough conditions and seeing units in trouble. Really it is each to their own.
Good advice thanks mate
120 prado KK Limited Ed