Author Topic: The mobile laundromat  (Read 2346 times)

Offline savanahkelpy

• Tent User
The mobile laundromat
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
I,ve seen a few other threads on what/how contraptions people use to wash their clothes while on the move but what about the drying aspect? If you are on the move and utilising free camps, has your laundry been like a flag, indicating to the "powers that be", that you are staying a bit longer than expected, (unless its very remote)or do you do smaller ammounts? Was it a hassle?, and what about extended wet weather periods?,, ???  What got me thinking about this was seeing an article in a local newspaper, with photo, of backpackers camped where they weren,t supposed to be with their laundry strung everywhere. I,m not keen on adopting a "sveedish" accent, to dry a few clothes :D, while camping or traveling longer term.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:00:46 PM by savanahkelpy »
First they ignore me, then, they laugh at me, then, they attack me, then, I win! - Ghandi

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: The mobile laundromat
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »

We have a "line" which is basically an occy strap that has non-removable pegs on it.  Came as part of the camper.  Can go between inner poles or outer poles (not for heavy things though), otherwise I take a few coat hangers with me for hanging things on or you could use a specific rope through shirts (arm holes) etc to hang them, or you could peg things to your awning edges, or tie ropes between your poles and you have a line, hang towels over chairs ... You just have to be a little creative with what you have on hand. 

And you can't really do a load like at home in a 20 ltr bucket, so you won't have too many things to hang, because you are washing every few days. 

When in a van park, use their lines for blankets and sheets.  But try NOT to do this in Mount Isa (or any other mining town)... those mines blokes use the public laundries to wash their work clothes and you will end up with black crap over everything.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »
We do our washing in a 10L bucket (which is also the shower bucket  ;D ) which i get about 3 full buckets loads of clothes out of one bucket of water. If we camp for 2 days or more in 1 spot and i wash, i hang rope through a tree or to the car. If i am just washing undies and togs etc i usually just peg the clothes to the guy ropes. We normally hang our towels under the awning over the middle pole or on the car mirrors if sunny. We dont often have many problems with other seeing our washing as its normally hidden in the tree behind our camper and it is usually only up for a few hours at most. For sheets and washing of towels, i normally visit the laundromat so i use the dryers too. I normally wash things like jeans or do complete "proper" wash at the same time and use the dryers too. With only 2 of us i normally only get stung for 3 washing machines and 2 dryers to wash sheets, towels, and all of our clothes.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
On a travelling trip we try to take easy to maintain (wash and dry) clothes. Then a simple piece of rope between something handy to dry. The back of the car usually only has my swag and my small clothes bag on the shelf so if we have a wet towel or swimmers we lay them out in there and they dry a bit as well
Living the Dream.

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
Take quick dry sports shirts and pants - cotton takes ages to dry, so sox and jox will be the longest. Polar fleece is awesome, it almost feels dry out of the wash. Corrigations make a good agitator,so put the clothes in the bucket in the morning before heading off ;D
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Corrugations make a good agitator,so put the clothes in the bucket in the morning before heading off ;D
LoL...now that is a good idea.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
LoL...now that is a good idea.

The bucket and Corrugations worked a treat for us while doing Cape York.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:43:48 AM by Beachman »

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Wash as yoyu go works well. We have a 20lt plastic drum with a screw on lid.

Trevor